Sliced porridge?

edited 29 March 2011 at 7:14PM in Old Style MoneySaving
47 replies 22.2K views

Replies

• ceridwenceridwen
    11.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliasojo wrote: »
    Does it not just kinda crumble when you cut into it once it's set? Sounds like another good alternative, thanks.

Not that I've found:D

Cooked couscous goes very clidgy if left to itself - and thats just what you want in those circumstances. Just give it a bit of a helping hand by pushing it down firmly into whatever you are using as a mould and it will harden up nicely.

(To me these days - said mould is likely to consist of one of those flexible silicon baking thingies. You could always make individual little cake-ettes by using silicon cupcake thingies as moulds.)
  • purplerosepurplerose Forumite
    476 Posts
    My granny used to take a slice of porridge on her way to work too, never tried it myself.
    Debt: Started at £4780, now at £4190 :)
    Comp Wins 2014: None yet :(
  • :rotfl:im pretty sure the porridge drawer was an urban myth(a bit like the wild hairy mountain haggis),i remember a story in the Broons book one year(Scottish cartoon book) where Paw Broon made the porridge too thick,poured it into a drawer,let it set and they ate it in slices.:rotfl:
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :rotfl:im pretty sure the porridge drawer was an urban myth...

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion/A-slice-of-porridge-has.2746336.jp

You telling me there's no hairy haggis?! :eek:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • aliasojo wrote: »
    http://news.scotsman.com/opinion/A-slice-of-porridge-has.2746336.jp

You telling me there's no hairy haggis?! :eek:
    Oh thanks,maybe the porridge drawer was true then...couldny get porridge in drawers where i grew up...the youngest weans slept in them:rotfl:

PS,Nessie ate all the wild hairy haggis's.;)
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • ive seen it mentioned on here and whilst watching hugh last night talking about breakfast, I thought porridge in a drawer could be an ideal solution for dh, as he leaves for work at 6.30 each morning.

also is it really kept in a drawer?
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why is getting porridge ready for a 0630 start hard?
    takes a few minutes in the microwave
    I make up my lunch,coffee and breakfast for leaving as early as 0230
  • sorry was trying to sort out a baby at the same time, meant to say hes not normally in the mood for breakfast at that time, however about 8ish is when he gets hungry and working on a building site the whole day theres not many facilities for them to use, as he loves porridge I thought this would have been a good alternative for him
  • would it keep in a food flask?
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • would it keep in a food flask?

didnt even think of that!!! will see if we have small flasks now!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals