Sliced porridge?

edited 29 March 2011 at 7:14PM in Old Style MoneySaving
47 replies 21.7K views

Replies

• ceridwenceridwen
    11.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliasojo wrote: »
    Does it not just kinda crumble when you cut into it once it's set? Sounds like another good alternative, thanks.

Not that I've found:D

Cooked couscous goes very clidgy if left to itself - and thats just what you want in those circumstances. Just give it a bit of a helping hand by pushing it down firmly into whatever you are using as a mould and it will harden up nicely.

(To me these days - said mould is likely to consist of one of those flexible silicon baking thingies. You could always make individual little cake-ettes by using silicon cupcake thingies as moulds.)
  • purplerosepurplerose Forumite
    476 posts
    My granny used to take a slice of porridge on her way to work too, never tried it myself.
    Debt: Started at £4780, now at £4190 :)
    Comp Wins 2014: None yet :(
  • :rotfl:im pretty sure the porridge drawer was an urban myth(a bit like the wild hairy mountain haggis),i remember a story in the Broons book one year(Scottish cartoon book) where Paw Broon made the porridge too thick,poured it into a drawer,let it set and they ate it in slices.:rotfl:
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K posts
    :rotfl:im pretty sure the porridge drawer was an urban myth...

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion/A-slice-of-porridge-has.2746336.jp

You telling me there's no hairy haggis?! :eek:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • aliasojo wrote: »
    http://news.scotsman.com/opinion/A-slice-of-porridge-has.2746336.jp

You telling me there's no hairy haggis?! :eek:
    Oh thanks,maybe the porridge drawer was true then...couldny get porridge in drawers where i grew up...the youngest weans slept in them:rotfl:

PS,Nessie ate all the wild hairy haggis's.;)
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • ive seen it mentioned on here and whilst watching hugh last night talking about breakfast, I thought porridge in a drawer could be an ideal solution for dh, as he leaves for work at 6.30 each morning.

also is it really kept in a drawer?
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why is getting porridge ready for a 0630 start hard?
    takes a few minutes in the microwave
    I make up my lunch,coffee and breakfast for leaving as early as 0230
  • sorry was trying to sort out a baby at the same time, meant to say hes not normally in the mood for breakfast at that time, however about 8ish is when he gets hungry and working on a building site the whole day theres not many facilities for them to use, as he loves porridge I thought this would have been a good alternative for him
  • would it keep in a food flask?
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • would it keep in a food flask?

didnt even think of that!!! will see if we have small flasks now!