Sliced porridge?

edited 29 March 2011 at 7:14PM in Old Style MoneySaving
47 replies 21.7K views

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ive seen it mentioned on here and whilst watching hugh last night talking about breakfast, I thought porridge in a drawer could be an ideal solution for dh, as he leaves for work at 6.30 each morning.

also is it really kept in a drawer?

The porridge in a drawer is from old times, it was literally made and poured in a drawer, went cold and family cut chunks out for a meal during the week

Also avoided the "no work on the Sabbath" rule, so made on Saturday & poured in dresser drawer for meals on Sunday

The good old days eh
  • morganlefaymorganlefay Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    mmmmm, yummy - dust, old hairpins, bits of paper, silverfish etc etc. How tasty their porridge must have been !
  • adelightadelight Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Yes it was in a drawer (lined with baking paper and kept clean!), but you could just keep it in a tupperwear box. Sandwich two slices together with jam yum! It's much easier to eat than hot porridge from a flask.
    If he tries to cold porridge and doesn't like it, try porridge pancakes. This is enough for ~5 days of breakfasts: cover 200g oats with boiling water and soak until cool, add 2 eggs and enough milk to make a thick batter (1-2 tbsp flour will make it smoother) and fry like pancakes. You can add dried or fresh fruit, cinammon, sugar etc If you make them small and thick they're very easy to eat on the go, even dipped into coffee like a biscuit!

Could porridge in a drawer be the start of a new*revived* craze? :D
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • im just wondering if it would be ok to do in silicone square tray then cut up like flapjack and serve to kids with jam and not tell them its porrige lol
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • marmiterulesokmarmiterulesok Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    adelight wrote: »
    Yes it was in a drawer (lined with baking paper and kept clean!), but you could just keep it in a tupperwear box. Sandwich two slices together with jam yum! It's much easier to eat than hot porridge from a flask.
    If he tries to cold porridge and doesn't like it, try porridge pancakes. This is enough for ~5 days of breakfasts: cover 200g oats with boiling water and soak until cool, add 2 eggs and enough milk to make a thick batter (1-2 tbsp flour will make it smoother) and fry like pancakes. You can add dried or fresh fruit, cinammon, sugar etc If you make them small and thick they're very easy to eat on the go, even dipped into coffee like a biscuit!

Thanks for the recipe.I'm a great one for porridge,and will have to try these out.

As for porridge in a drawer,people used to wrap up a slice of porridge for their lunch.I couldn't see myself doing that TBH!
  • adelight wrote: »

thanks for that, am going to do those tomorow so he has them for tuesday onwards
  • Am I missing something here..? How is it that you can slice the porridge?
  • marmiterulesokmarmiterulesok Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I missing something here..? How is it that you can slice the porridge?
    If you let porridge go cold,it will congeal/solidify and can be sliced.
  • If you let porridge go cold,it will congeal/solidify and can be sliced.

Aaaah I see! There is never left over porridge in this house, so not something I've come across before! But will try this and report back :j
  • xxvickixxxxvickixx Forumite
    2.8K posts
    I do similar for DS as a biscuity flapjack alternative. I use oats, water, small bit of olive oil and some whizzed up dried fruit, I cook on a low heat in the oven until firm, then slice up. They are really nice.