New Post Advanced Search

Sliced porridge?

edited 29 March 2011 at 7:14PM in Old Style MoneySaving
47 replies 21.7K views

Replies

• beemuzedbeemuzed Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I know porridge is good for you, and every so often I try it again...but I can't swallow it! I remember having it with golden syrup on as a child, but I had problems with it then ( and can remember being made to sit at the table until I did eat it). Cold and sliced?? Not for me I'm afraid! Good job we all have different tastes!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • sexymousesexymouse Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    My OH had friends who went to uni who had a porridge drawer and cut a bit off and fried it each day - unfortunately they couldn't have been eating much else though as they ended up admitted to hospital with scurvy!!!
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £439.53/£2020
  • carriebradshawcarriebradshaw Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    how about staffordshire oatcakes, you can eat them with sweet or savoury things and they're yummy either way,

here's a recipe http://thefoody.com/baking/staffsoatcakes.html
  • sexymouse wrote: »
    My OH had friends who went to uni who had a porridge drawer and cut a bit off and fried it each day - unfortunately they couldn't have been eating much else though as they ended up admitted to hospital with scurvy!!!

How odd!

I don't know about sliced porridge, but how about weetabix? When I was little I used to eat them dry with honey and sometimes bannana n top.. or you could mash them together with milk, spread the mix out on a sheet and allow it to dry - I know this would work as dried weetabix is quite solid! Although this suggestion isn't as mse as sliced porridge would be.
  • aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K posts
    beemuzed wrote: »
    I know porridge is good for you, and every so often I try it again...but I can't swallow it! I remember having it with golden syrup on as a child, but I had problems with it then ( and can remember being made to sit at the table until I did eat it). Cold and sliced?? Not for me I'm afraid! Good job we all have different tastes!

Lol, I can honestly say I'm working hard to aquire the taste. :D Up till now I've hated the stuff but when things hit the fan you gotta do what you gotta do. I find adding lots of berries helps. :D

Thanks everyone.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • adelightadelight Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Do you have a recipe or exact quantities? I can have oats and eggs... so would like to try this!

What would you eat it with though??

I do this and i'd say for as much porridge as you'd use for 2 bowls (so 80g?) use 1 egg and more water so it's a runny porridge like thick pancake batter. I also leave the oats to sit in boiled water for a few hours and add a spoon flour and splash milk just to make a smoother batter.
    Can you eat banana or raisins? A few thin slices of banana or some raisins and cinnamon mixed into each pancake before dry frying is delicious and sweetens them up. Or grated apple.
    As well as frying you can drop small ones on a baking tray (or thicker in pie trays) and do them in the oven.

Slices of cold porridge is very interesting, there's not much on google about it. But coating each side of a 1" slice in flour then frying to heat it up seems more my thing, I can't get my head around cold porridge :rotfl:
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • SeakaySeakay Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    At uni had a BF who made a pan of porridge for the week and then reheated a slice every day with a little extra milk or water. Saved making a one or two person amount every day (no microwaves then).
  • ceridwenceridwen
    11.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you eat couscous?

If so:

- "cook" couscous in the same way as normal basically - but using fruit juice rather than water
    (that is - heat up some fruit juice - eg apple juice - in a saucepan to just starting to "bubble" and pour in the couscous. Then take the saucepan off the heat and leave it with the lid on for 4 minutes for the couscous to "cook"/soak up the juice).

- Mix in some soft berry fruit (eg chopped strawberries).

- Place the couscous/berry fruit mixture in something that will act as a "mould" and leave it to set.

- Decorate with some more berry fruit if wanted

- Can be served with cream (either dairy cream or cashew nut cream)

NICE:D
  • aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K posts
    ceridwen wrote: »
    - Place the couscous/berry fruit mixture in something that will act as a "mould" and leave it to set.

Does it not just kinda crumble when you cut into it once it's set? Sounds like another good alternative, thanks.
    Herman - MP for all! :)