My Redundancy Diary

Options

Comments

• ponymad_3
    Options
    Not been on here for a while and have now caught up on peoples news.... Have some of my own... got a new job in fact have only applied for 2 jobs since leaving my role in July(hope no one tells my JC!)... Needed time out for lots of reasons.... Was offered both to my huge surprise on parr with my previous too which means most of my redunbdancy package is now my real nestegg as I always hoped. It goes to show that there is life outside a longstanding job... you do have transferable skills... it is important to decide what you really want and despite being badly treated in the past its really true there are lots of new options out there... As soon as I went to the first assessment day I knew I had so made the right decision to leave under VR, even if I had nt been successful on that occasion.
    Good luck to everyone.
  • Little_Muvva
    Options
    Good news, ponymad! That's the ideal result :j
    1/1/10 total debt £4,311. Debt today £1,082
  • daisyf_2
    daisyf_2 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    well done everyone xxxx I'm now coming up to my 6 month since redundancy - I have been really lucky as have been really busy in my part time job and freelance work. The freelance work has taken off and I cannot believe I am saying this but will need to start to put off or turn a bit of work down - I know I am extremely lucky in this current climate but I have to sleep :) xxxx

I still think the first step of success after redundancy or in the middle of it - is believe in yourself xxxxx

good luck everyone xxxx
  • ElusiveLucy
    Options
    I signed off JSA at the start of Nov as I was going abroad for 3 weeks. The day before I left I had an interview, which resulted in a job offer, which I have accepted. It isn't my ideal job, but it is a good company and will get me back into the workplace. I start in January, which is ideal as I still have another month off and will go back to work with a nice little nest egg left from my redundancy money.

All's well that ends well!

It is sometimes difficult to keep your self confidence up, but stick with it. I wasn't really concentrating on looking for a job and still got a bit worn down by the lack of responses, but I learned to think that it was the employer's loss by not considering me!
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • ponymad_3
    Options
    Great to hear other peoples good news.... Elusive Lucy don t forget you can still claim till you start your job and today I got confirmation that JCP will pay me for attending my interview... Had to travel over 40 miles each way ... every little helps!
  • Andyboy
    Andyboy Posts: 257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Great to see some more getting back to work. Well done to all.

I am still waiting for a place to come up in one area but still would like to be off a few more months.

Hope all are looking forward to Christmas. Sorry if there are any newly redundant people viewing but the positive could be that you have the time off you may want over the festive period.

Keep on posting and thanks to all so far :T
    Andyboy :idea:
  • ElusiveLucy
    Options
    Thanks for the info Ponymad. I had got the impression that as I had accepted a job that i couldn't claim JSA. i've been back from hols for 2 weeks now, so have missed out on some cash, but not sure if I will bother to sign back on now. The hassle of finding somewhere to park to visit the JCP at this time of year would do me in!
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • monaebrook
    Options
    Brilliant thread - stumbled across it today!
    I am confirmed VERS for 30th March 2012 and I am really looking forward to it. My situation is probably a lot better than other peoples in that OH is the main breadwinner and I have only ever worked part time since DD's came along. Having said that I will still need to bring in some form of income to enable us to not have to drop standard of living.
    I made the decision to leave for numerous reasons - and once made I felt such a huge sense of relief. I have a good package and coupled with the fact that I already run my own little business, which granted only brings in a v. small amount, and that I should qualify for CB JSA I am looking at things in a really positive light,.
    I plan to take 6 months off when I will fully concentrate on building the business and then look for a job if I need to. I am involved in the welfare area at the moment so am looking to retrain as a carer as there seem to be lots of opportuniites in this area. Have already made a good contact where I intend to volunteer in return for hands on experience and possible NVQ's so this is also exciting.
    Most of current work involves helping people to come to terms with change and the anxiety it causes so I feel blessed in that I already believe change is often a good thing.
    Just wanted to pop in and thank you all for some really good information - will keep everyone up to date with my journey and wish you all well on yours!
  • Andyboy
    Andyboy Posts: 257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    monaebrook wrote: »
    Brilliant thread - stumbled across it today!
    I am confirmed VERS for 30th March 2012 ....... keep everyone up to date with my journey and wish you all well on yours!

monaebrook please do keep us up to date. i am glad to hear you have a head start and love the idea of change.
    I am looking at returning to work when you finish. :)
    Andyboy :idea:
  • Gintotmelinda
    Options
    Hi Andyboy and everyone

Just found this thread......so interesting and supportive!

Can I join? OH went back to work yesterday after 3 weeks holiday to find a big meeting scheduled and everyone was put on 90 day notice of redundancy! OH is 60 and majorly shocked. The whole operation will be closed down in Bristol. I'd better not say which company. They were then sent home for the rest of the day.......He has worked there 40 years. :(

So eek what next? Anyone got any suggestions about supporting OH?

Thanks

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills