My Redundancy Diary

Options

Comments

• Little_Muvva
    Options
    Quick update - just had my letter to confirm they've accepted my VR request and I have a meeting next Tuesday where I'll be given notice (3 months).

:eek:
    1/1/10 total debt £4,311. Debt today £1,082
  • daisyf_2
    daisyf_2 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Wooh well done and three months of planning - shout if you need any help or pm me xxxxx
  • Andyboy
    Andyboy Posts: 257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    daisyf wrote: »
    How did the meeting go Andy?...

Sorry for delay.
    It went very well thanks. I just need to sort out my CV and see whether they would like to have me on board or not. It strikes me that there are so many different ways of doing a CV that I am surprised anyone ever completes one. Hoping to finish it and covering letter tomorrow and will ask a friend to look it over for critique.
    Andyboy :idea:
  • Andyboy
    Options
    Quick update - just had my letter to confirm they've accepted my VR request and I have a meeting next Tuesday where I'll be given notice (3 months).

:eek:

Best of luck Little Muvva. you are about to enter into the brave new world.....it's just like the old one but with more smiles and fun :D.
  • Little_Muvva
    Options
    Notice received and my leaving date is 17th Feb so I have plenty of time (being positive here!).

I'm looking at this as a 'push' to make a change which will enhance my life - let's see how it pans out.

I have to say, I'm now watching the rest of the department continuing through the restructure (applying for their jobs etc.) and it's nice to not be in the thick of it!
  • Andyboy
    Options
    Notice received and my leaving date is 17th Feb so I have plenty of ..... it's nice to not be in the thick of it!

you are probably witnessing a few friends going through this as well. i occassionally felt the odd one out and side-lined on a lot of issues. I just needed to remind myself that i still needed to plan my exit and life after R.

Little things like an odd note of how i dealt with certain situations and talking with my closer colleagues have helped since I left.

If you are like most people who have added their thoughts to this you will probably work hard until your last day. Just remember, they are going to be there without you in the future so take some "me" time and ensure you go to all the support meetings and have time off to look for work etc. ;)

I hope they are giving you redundancy support.

Feb will be here before you know it but it may be a goal you really look forward to reaching :T
  • daisyf_2
    Options
    Definately make sure you start planning as Andy said. I decided not to go to any of the team meetings after I was given my redundancy notice - felt there really wasnt any point. The redundancy situation was done quite unfairly as there was only two people out of the whole team that got redundancy notices - so I wasn't being bitter, but just decided that there was not point going to a staff meeting if i was going to be there in 12 weeks time.

it is great and to be out of the thick of it - is i have to say a wonderful experience, start planning and enjoy xxx
  • wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2011 at 8:44PM
    Options
    I wonder if I could join in this thread with a comment, first of all I would like to wish you all well in the future and commend you all on your positive attitudes. I'm sure that life after redundancy will be as fore-filing as life before it was.
    My comment is in regards to something which Andyboy said, "I hope they are giving you redundancy support". I will if I may share with you my experience so far, I work for a company which by it's own admission have ambitions to be "World Class", The company is Network rail. I have worked in the rail industry for over 19 years being tuped over from BR through 3 various company's until finally having the misfortune to winding up employed by Network Rail. They have been through a reorganisation process which revealed that they were overstaffed, due to the long standing agreements with the unions they face the prospect of having to make staff redundant who have only been employed since they had a big recruitment drive a few years ago. Network Rail obviously would rather keep the younger staff and let the older ones go which is understandable in some respects. They have to their credit in an attempt to reduce the number of staff who would face compulsory redundancy offered all staff the opportunity to take a severance package. This is where I get to the point of my post, I filled in an application to be considered for the severance package several weeks ago with the intention of taking my pension early, I gave them the date that I would like to leave as 31/12/11, and expected to hear within a week or so what my leaving date would be and the exact terms of my severance package. I have had absolutely no feedback about my application whatsoever until I approached the engineer who just happened to be at my depot on Friday. He informed me that I would have to leave on 3/12/11 if I was to get the severance package as was advertised, still no details to confirm that my severance deal will be what I presume it will be. I won't find this out until two weeks before my leaving date when I will be presented with the agreement to sign confirming my acceptance of VR. Obviously I can't apply to take my pension until I have a firm leaving date, so not having that information until two weeks before the actual date will mean my pension payments starting weeks or months after my leaving employment. Network Rails attitude seems to be that they are doing volunteers for their severance scheme a huge favour and that anyone applying for it should be hugely grateful for the opportunity to take part. I should have expected this sort of treatment from them as a couple of colleagues of mine volunteered to take severance last year and on turning up for their "one to ones" the manager who they had been sent to see wasn't even expecting them and had gone to visit another site. I hope that you all have a better experience and redundancy support than I have experienced from the "World Class" organisation Network Rail.
  • yus786
    yus786 Posts: 663 Forumite
    Options
    Top thread and really please for everyone. Mine is a different story.

Firm got taken over in January and my dept was responsible for the integration. In other words merging systems and closing sites.

We got used silly all year (kept on going with the hope that we maybe 'safe'). Loads of travelling, overnight stays, long days, evening work etc (ALL UNPAID) and finally got that letter last week saying we are no longer required.

Got a standard consultation letter and been offered bog standard redundancy. No signs of PILON etc

Got another meeting next week so hopefully will discuss PILON, holiday, final day etc. We are on 3 month notice and and am not sure how PILON etc works TBH.

Gutted... wish us luck.
  • Little_Muvva
    Options
    Good luck yus786! There certainly does seem to be a culture of 'think yourself lucky to have a job' in the workplace at the moment. Employees are letting employers get away with far more as they're in fear of losing their jobs through restructuring or otherwise.

I hope it works out for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family