Young Drivers' Car Insurance Savings Feedback

Options

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 February 2012 at 2:33AM
    Options
    My company are the same, Manchester, Oldham etc. No thanks....

£4000 to do a MAX of 2000miles a year? And 2 will share the car? Less than 5.5 miles a day?

AND restricted hours?

I can see that ending badly. What if you need the car for a hospital run at midnight?

Are you then driving uninsured?

Are you sure it allows you to drive after those hours etc? I couldnt find anything regarding that on the website.

Ahhh £500 charge for breaking the rules.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• annie12
    annie12 Posts: 789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My company are the same, Manchester, Oldham etc. No thanks....

£4000 to do a MAX of 2000miles a year? And 2 will share the car? Less than 5.5 miles a day?

AND restricted hours?

I can see that ending badly. What if you need the car for a hospital run at midnight?

Are you then driving uninsured?

Are you sure it allows you to drive after those hours etc? I couldnt find anything regarding that on the website.

Ahhh £500 charge for breaking the rules.

No, 2000 miles for son, 3000 for me. Not sure how they'd know who was driving unless we had a crash?

I have 5 family members within 5 mins in an emergency & very good neighbours. Also hubby is home 50% of the time & he has his own car with me as a named driver.

Son is 18 in May, so I will shop around again then.
  • venderqueen
    venderqueen Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son insured his £1700 corsa last year his first car and he was 19 years old the lowest price was £2800 with Aviva. He followed your advice and checked all the comparison websites after aviva wanted £2400 this year, and all the sites gave first central as the best deal and this had the same cover etc as aviva. this year he has paid £1325. rather a saving and he is saving up to change his car later this year.
    Keep on trying it will be your turn soon x
  • debgrim
    Options
    My son tried I-Kube today after being told about them because of the ridiculous quotes he was getting but guess what after all the excitement thinking FINALLY he can get insured he was hit with, and I quote "SORRY WE DON'T COVER YOUR AREA" so bang we're right back tosquare one!!!! Now what?????

Alison_B wrote: »
    I have spent the past 2 or 3 weeks trying to find competitive insurance for my son who will be 17 at the weekend. Most places were coming up around the £4,000 mark and when I phoned about it, was told that it would increase when he passes his test. I contacted a company called I-Kube who quoted me £2000 for Fully Comprehensive and it doesn't change once his test is passed. They were phoning me back today as I was making a decision who to go with and they offered it to me for £1860 and that includes a cover where they take care of the £500 excess. The only downside is that he has to have a tracking box fitted to the car and he cannot drive between the hours of 11 pm and 5 am but I suppose that is a small price to pay for him being able to learn to drive.

Just thought others would like to know if you are struggling with your young lads insurance. I think it is only competitive also whilst they are a learner driver. My nephew passed his test in April and they quoted him £8000. I queried it with them and they said that had he gone to them as a learner, then it would have been cheaper like my sons insurance.
  • Cacran
    Cacran Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I feel so sorry for young drivers. My friends son passed his test the other day but there is no way he can afford insurance and can't afford to be a named driver on his mums car. If he doesn't drive for years because of this unaffordable cost, when he does get older and goes for insurance, they will no doubt penalise him for no having driven since he passed his test. Also, I think that without driving as soon as you pass your test, it will be easy to forget how to drive. It is only when you start driving regularly, that you really learn to handle a vehicle.
    Keep on trucking!
  • TheVisitor
    Options
    One tip - DO NOT USE Right Choice Insurance - they offer a Low online Quote and then try to double it after you pay & then threaten you with Cancellation charges, left me feeling Harassed for days!
    Has anybody had any luck with comparison sites?
    I need insurance for My 21 year Old daughter to drive a 1.1.
  • Think_Fast_Mum
    Options
    My son, now 19, has just renewed his insurance for year 2 on his 1.4 C3. AVIVA quoted £1600. Used comparison sites and found it for £942 on Elephant, including courtesy car and lower excess. Really pleased.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2012 at 9:12PM
    Options
    My car insurance rises from £200 to £490 to add 17 year old DD as a provisional driver to my policy.

I am main driver and OH is a named driver. Not sure what it will rise to when she passes her test. Policy with Direct Line and we have 2 cars and house insurance with them.

I drive a Ford fiesta style.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Hadrian
    Hadrian Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Verdi_Fan wrote: »
    My husband and I have recently paid for 6 hour-long driving lessons with The Young Driver Scheme for our 12 year old car-mad grandson at the NEC in Birmingham. He has had his 3rd lesson so far and has already progressed beyond belief. He will have taken the remaining 3 by the Autumn.
    The set-up is most impressive, extremely professional and well-organised and, of course, the best present we could have bought him!! (There are several places in the UK where this is offered)

We intend to repeat this until he takes his driving test, and have been assured that, not only will he be a safe, road-aware and competent driver by the age of 17, but that the ensuing cost of his car insurance will be cut dramatically.

Highly recommended!
    12 year old? wait till the testosterone kicks in.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    My 12 year old daughter wants to take up ministox racing now as she's found out the age you can drive in it in 11 to 16. Wonder if that would help insurance at 17?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure