Young Drivers' Car Insurance Savings Feedback

edited 22 March 2011 at 8:51PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
62 replies 40.8K views

Replies

• edited 9 September 2011 at 7:30PM
    trackybtrackyb Forumite
    2 Posts
    edited 9 September 2011 at 7:30PM
    I have been trying to get insurance for my son who is 17 and passed his test on 02/08/11 - he has a car Peugeot 206 (2001) and I have put myself on as a named driver. All the insurance companies are quoting between £5k and £8k, I have tried them all - does anyone have any other ideas I could try. This is so disheartening for him as we cant' afford the prices and even if we could I would not pay, you could get a brand new car for what they are asking. Any help would be appreciated

Just found tesco now and that is £3.500 which is still far too expensive
  • rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    trackyb wrote: »
    I have been trying to get insurance for my son who is 17 and passed his test on 02/08/11 - he has a car Peugeot 206 (2001) and I have put myself on as a named driver. All the insurance companies are quoting between £5k and £8k, I have tried them all - does anyone have any other ideas I could try. This is so disheartening for him as we cant' afford the prices and even if we could I would not pay, you could get a brand new car for what they are asking. Any help would be appreciated

Where do you live? And have you tried iKube? What engine is in the car?
  • We live in noth yorkshire and I am going to ring ikube this morning, that is the only one I haven't tried. the engine is a 1.1
  • bouncydog1bouncydog1 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try the Co-op, NFU and Aviva. Also try who you are insured with for other vehicles.

Note your comment about prices and buying new car for that - remember the risk to insurers is the damage that a driver does to others in an accident - that can run into £ms and the risk is higher when the driver is newly qualified and male.

You might do better with a seriously uncool car - Peugeot 206's are common amongst younger drivers along with Corsa's etc. You would probably find cheaper insurance for something like a skoda or volvo.
  • rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We live in noth yorkshire and I am going to ring ikube this morning, that is the only one I haven't tried. the engine is a 1.1
    Those quotes do surprise me, because N Yorkshire is pretty rural, crime free etc I would have thought...
  • morizotmorizot Forumite
    188 Posts
    Less 1k for 19 year old just passed her test (500 excess though) fully comp through gocompare and Diamond. Parents are named other drivers. car is group 2 insurance

Concerned though that premiums will go up dec 2012. I suppose that is the price of gender equality:cool:
  • morizotmorizot Forumite
    188 Posts
    £780 fully comp 19 year old daughter, insurance group 2 on a multi car policy with Admiral. The quotes for my husband & myself were a little on the high side (£100 higher than the lowest quote elsewhere) but the overall cost was 1.3k for the 1.2 engine, 2.5 engine and 1.8 engine.

The customer service was good on the first call (lovely welsh accent who answered my queries), not good on the second (american type accent, he kept asking me questions on things I had already specified on the quote, I will be checking the policy documents carefully when they arrive as I don't think the second customer service was very efficient)

We live in a rural location which helps. Our friend's 18year old daughter is also on a admiral multi car policy (hyundai i10) & the cost was 1.2k. They live in a leafy but more urban area.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    21 year old male, £248 fully comp. Perhaps some kind of record!
  • Just wondered if you managed to get anywhere with a reasonable quote?

• My son passed his test last week. He was very excited until he got car insurance quotes for the car given to him by his grandmother - W reg Fiesta 1.2. He turns 18 next month and has been quoted £5,500 to £8,000 p.a. Tried all the supermarkets, Ikube, swintons young drivers, my own insurer etc. Co-op will do it for around £4k with a box fitted which is not a problem but still too expensive. Anybody any ideas, please??
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides