I want to cancel my orange contract - HELP

Options

Comments

• crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Options
    drbesty wrote: »
    Technical Support can't help her, OP has moved to an area with no signal, there's nothing they can do to fix this, it's not down to any specific fault on the network.

crazyguy your username really fits your posts, if you cancel a direct debit Orange will pass the debt onto a debt collector and the leverage you'll have with them will be preciasly zero

People use the forum for advice and normaly advice comes from a previous experiances, I gave my advice based upon what had happened to my own situation and got the problem solved very quickly, again as you seem to not be able to read or either can not be bothered to read, in no way am I suggesting that you should let it go as far as a debt collector I am simply saying that by canceling your dd and then letting orange no you have done so will then put you in the position to either negotiate canceling the contract or getting a substantial discount on whats left of it.

You should read previous posts before both jumping in with your rant and attempting to slate me.

To cancel a dd does not mean you will be passed to the collection department within orange and then to the debt collectors, if there is a problem highlighted on your account no action is taken by them.

Get it right before you jump in feet first next time !
  • crazyguy
    Options
    Also its is not down to the fact that you move to an area without a good signal, if orange cannot provide a service to you then you are well within your rights to cancel the contract.
  • MissKeith
    MissKeith Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    crazyguy wrote: »
    Also its is not down to the fact that you move to an area without a good signal, if orange cannot provide a service to you then you are well within your rights to cancel the contract.

Wrong. This whole post shows your complete lack of knowledge with this industry. A mobile phone is a mobile device. The OP can get service in some places so therefore they have no right to terminate because Orange are providing a service. Again, they have moved to an area Orange can't cover. It is no fault of Oranges. The terms and conditions of the contract which the OP signed states that Orange can't guarantee a signal in all areas of the UK. If you make a choice to move to an area with poor signal, the contact still stands. Unfair? Maybe. It is, however, the truth.
    Have I helped? Feel free to click the 'Thanks' button. I like to feel useful (and smug). ;)
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

If you are right, can you point us to where exactly this "right" is written down in law?

The real point is that MSE members should be encouraged to try with the networks to see if they can get out of their contracts. With you there 100%. However, the potential advantage that one might get by cancelling the DD is vastly outweighed by the fact that conglomerates like the networks have so many people who fail to pay their DDs that they have an automatic process that puts a black mark on your credit record that outweighs the advantage you have by withholding payment.

I accept fully that you have got out of 2 contracts and that is your personal experience. Well done. However, your good fortune is very much in the minority - at least on here - and the potential down side means that on balance your advice to cancel DDs is not good.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    They all say the same thing Managers distrection or take them to court ,
    Does this contradict to anything said on this board? Also taking to the court is not the same as winning the case.

I cannot be arsed to check all the links, but the one I've checked randomly says nothing about cancelling the DD that you were advocating for and that was the main point of disagreement.
  • crazyguy
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Does this contradict to anything said on this board? Also taking to the court is not the same as winning the case.

I cannot be arsed to check all the links, but the one I've checked randomly says nothing about cancelling the DD that you were advocating for and that was the main point of disagreement.

Your hardly going to carry on wanting to pay if you have a genuine problem, so canceling the dd is the first thing then approach the network and advise them what you have done then give them a time limit to solve the situation and if they fail then look at a court action, anyone in there right mind is not going to pay for a service they cannot use !
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    3 Blogs, a News article and a report from Which? that does NOT say you have a right do not constitute a legal right to cancel your contract because someone has found a place in the UK where you can't get a signal - a Not Spot

Yes, there should be a period of grace under DSR where you can check that the most important places you need the signal provide the signal you require and cancel. I can also see there being some sense in giving people who go into High Street shops a few days' grace as well.

But the very physical structure of radio waves means that there will be black spots for any provider. And if someone decides to move there, that is down to them.

You have not shown with the links you provided a single link to - in your words - "a right" - one that you would be well within to exercise cancellation.

I, on the other hand, will point you to the following non-blog official links

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/mobilecoverage

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/2010/11/maximising-coverage.pdf

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/services-and-billing/canc_serv

You can see quite clearly from these official Ofcom site links that there is no automatic right to cancel. They do mention time-related periods during which you can cancel and they also refer to you checking Network operators' t&cs before you buy.

So, once again, in circumstances such as the OP's, there is no right to cancel.

Certainly, some discretion or Goodwill may be extended to allow early non-penalty cancellation, as in your case, but that does not constitute a right.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 March 2011 at 3:37PM
    Options
    Your hardly going to carry on wanting to pay...
    ...anyone in there right mind is not going to pay ...
    Are all your actions motivated by what you want only, not by what you have to do?
    Why have you not replied to my post #38?
    She was in her right mind (was she?) and ended up with the trashed credit file and debt collectors knocking the door. Did this happen only because she had not taken them to court?
  • crazyguy
    edited 30 March 2011 at 3:29PM
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Are all your actions motivated by what you want only, not by what you have to do?
    Why have you not replied to my post #38?
    She was in her right mind (was she?) and ended up with the trashed credit file and debt collectors knocking the door. Did this happen only because she had not taken them to court?

My actions are to get what is correct, it is not about pushing my luck

Oviously you have not read my prior posts either !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure