whats the most os thing you have done ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
69 replies 21K views

Replies

• rinabeanrinabean Forumite
    359 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I don't buy washing powder any more - I'm horrified by how expensive it is. Instead I use equal parts soap flakes and soda crystals, and vinegar as a conditioner. I know it says on the soap flakes box that you musn't use it in a front loader, but if you only use 2 tablespoons, which is all you need, it's fine. I adapted this recipe from all the laundry gloop ones you see, only you can use this one straight from the boxes you buy it in! *lazy*

I use cloth pads and a menstrual cup. Disposable menstrual protection is so expensive, but like most things it's not obvious to many that there's a (cheap! ethical! easy!) alternative.

I wish I could grow food or freeze surpluses but I don't have a garden or a big enough freezer. It's so annoying when you have to spend money to save it!
  • zarazarazarazara Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    2.3K posts
    washed the washing in the bath with hm laundry gloop then dry on a victorian rack drier.i also heat up hot water on the woodburner in a big pan for washing up.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • tiredwithtwinstiredwithtwins Forumite
    469 posts
    ✭✭
    given my last £50 to the british red cross for its japan appeal ... im rich in comparison to what some of those people now have.

the car repairs will have to wait ... at least we can get on a bus to school and work.
    wading through the treacle of life!
  • GetRealBabeGetRealBabe Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi

No more kitchen towels. Instead I use cut up towels.

Sometimes I clean the worktops and the bath with washing up liquid.

Water and vinegar to clean my induction hob.
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

• edited 10 October 2011 at 10:03AM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 10 October 2011 at 10:03AM
    I have just thought of another If I have a tea towel thats finaly got religion (gone holy) I cut the best bits of it into a decent size square and hem all the way around it by hand (I haven't a clue how to machine ) and use them for cleaning cloths.They boil up beautifully and are much nicer that those yellow dusters .
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) I was raised OS and haven't ever had the means to live high on the hog at all and don't think I'd feel comfy if I did. ;)

Here's a few of my tips from Shoebox Towers:

Put soap sherds inside my scratchy bath gloves (best price for these is Wilkos for £1/ pair btw) to use every last morsel. I buy Knights Castile at 6 bars for £1 or 99p so it's not a money saver but it satisfies my thrifty soul.

Do my washing up (I'm on a meter) by slowly running the hot water into the bowl so I can rinse as I go. Will stop when I have about half a bowl of water and pur into anything really messy like a cooking pot, let it soak whilst I dry the dishes, and swill the worst off before resuming washing up when I have clean water (and the pot is properly washed up in clean water too). Works for very messy plates, too.

:o If I have something from the lottie which needs washing up such as flowerpots or compost bags and it's the half of the year when the water is switched off up there, I'll have my bath then use the water to wash those things. I use a staining thingie to catch the contents of the bath water anyway so it's not like potting compost ends up in the pipes.:o

If it's bin day and I only have a little rubbish in the black sack, and it normally takes 4-6 weeks to fill one, I'll bring it indoors so the bin men can't take it away. There's seldom anything whiffy in there and I figure its a waste of plastic bags.

Erm, open up the paper bag of my Henry vacuum cleaner and empty the contents and close up again (staples covered with gaffer tape).

Halve those scratchy-side little sponges (I call them spongettes) which I use for washing dishes so they go further. I get them as freebies anyway as I have contacts in the warehousing business (hello Cousin D) but waste not want not. Then they might serve a second stint as demoted scourers for the flowerpots etc.

Use fabric hankies not disposble tissues. Try to always think if I can make something I don't have, or can I try Freecycle, or do without?

Pick up elastic bands dropped by postie and screws dropped in town where shops are being refitted. And spare change. Even found a Savers re-usable shopping bag the other month. I laundered it and now it's being re-used around here.;)

Is there more? Erm, save brown paper bags to use for things like topping picked onion jars, save just about every kind of container you can imagine and a few you probably couldn't. Try to always think sideways around a problem.

Hey, it might be a little odd to do these things in an affluent consumer society but a couple or three generations ago it would have been normal good housekeeping practices. We are in the vanguard of going back to the future.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Hmm I guess for us it's that our washing machine isn't working properly, it's not washing well as it doesn't appear to be taking in enough water so things are coming out virtually dry (not because of its superb spinning qualities!). It seems to be programme related - some are better than others but generally it's pretty carp. No point getting a man out to fix it if it's programme related (we've pulled it out and checked for sensors etc) so we're just adding water to it when we start it off!

Remarkably it's working very well - it just involves being there at the start and adding water from the mop bucket!
    Piglet
  • butterfly72butterfly72 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    rinabean wrote: »
    I use cloth pads and a menstrual cup. Disposable menstrual protection is so expensive, but like most things it's not obvious to many that there's a (cheap! ethical! easy!) alternative.

I'm attempting to make my own cloth pads with some old material I have. I'm using a pattern and following instructions but they just don't come out anything like the finished article should!! Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong!!
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • I cook everything from scratch, we have an allotment which keeps us in fruit and veg. I also take advantage of the local pyo for fruit in the summer and freze/make jam. There are some lovely autumn walks where I can scrump apples (cooking and eating) and pears. I sew most of my own curtains/clothes - usually from charity shop finds and re-sue towels as face flannels/dusters/floor clothes. I use the library for books. Have just decorated the spare bedroom using paint and carpet a neighbour was throwing out, another carpet is being used as mulch on a bit of uncultivated allotment. We've also made a rather snazzy book cases form some wood we found in a skip a few months ago.
  • edited 16 March 2011 at 11:21AM
    alixandreaalixandrea Forumite
    120 posts
    edited 16 March 2011 at 11:21AM
    I guess I'm really very lucky where I live as my landlord, who lives with my OH and I, charges very little for rent. Bills are all included too and best of all, he's the kind of person who buys in food and never eats it, or won't eat it if it's not fresh or is past its best before date. So OH and I get loads of free food too!

We use soap nuts (Google them!) and vinegar to do our washing, which is incredibly cheap! We almost never have to buy washing up liquid as our landlord buys it (he very rarely does the washing up mind you :mad:). The only cleaning fluids we buy are cheap bleach, anti-bacterial spray and Cillit Bang!, vinegar, vodka and washing up liquid or soap nuts liquid does the rest (usually with lavender and tea tree oils in). I might stop using the bleach and switch to cheap cola though (is this cheaper?) as I've heard it's just as good for cleaning the loo.

We recycle everything we can and re-use old knackered clothes/socks etc. as rags for cleaning. We're growing our own veg this year; we're behind in getting our plots sorted out, but have loads of seedlings on shelves by the patio doors. We got a greenhouse on Freecycle too, so hopefully that'll help. :-) We're also going to make a wormery to start composting our own veg peelings, teabags etc.

In the summer we're going to start using vegetable oil with diesel in our camper van to save a bit of money there; eventually we'd like to make our own biodiesel but we haven't got the bits to make the still yet.

I love charity shopping; around 70% of all my clothes come from these. I also only generally buy brand new clothes in the sales as I can't believe the prices some high street stores charge for things!! I enjoy skip diving too, though haven't seen anything worth having from any for a while. My best ever find was a perfectly good memory foam double mattress topper - I toook it home, sprayed it with anti-bacterial spray et voila!!

Thanks for all the tips guys - I think I'll suggest getting a big thermos for OH's tea as he drinks little else and it'll save our landlord a fortune in leccy!

Keep 'em coming! :)

Alixandrea