»

whats the most os thing you have done ?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

whats the most os thing you have done ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
69 replies 20.9K views
Legacy_userLegacy_user
0 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
As well as the usual [meal planning /gyo] what have you done that makes a difference ?
I have replaced my dead automatic washing machine with a brand new twin tub, instead of a cycle taking 30-90 mins i can do all my washing in just over an hour.:)
We are hoping to get a multi fuel burner this year and make brickettes[sp] with all the junk mail we get.:)

Replies

• Ive replaced my gas-guzzling old back boiler with a new A Rated Combi boiler and replaced the gas fire with a new Electric one (so that we can just have the fire effect - which costs a penny an hour to run) hopefully, this will not only save us a couple of hundred pounds a year - it will also help the environment.
  • edited 10 March 2011 at 8:32PM
    BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 March 2011 at 8:32PM
    Chrissyg wrote: »
    As well as the usual [meal planning /gyo] what have you done that makes a difference ?
    I have replaced my dead automatic washing machine with a brand new twin tub, instead of a cycle taking 30-90 mins i can do all my washing in just over an hour.:)
    We are hoping to get a multi fuel burner this year and make brickettes[sp] with all the junk mail we get.:)

Wow! I bet it's cleaner too :cool: I guess it's a bit of extra work for you, how do you find it?
  • Sublime_2Sublime_2 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    15.7K posts
    Nothing major. Just my slow cooker, and bread maker. Fresh bread costs pennies, plus I can make easy, delicious meals in my SC.
  • MaLarkinMaLarkin Forumite
    132 posts
    Declared the car out of bounds except for travelling to and from work. All shopping is done on the way.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Wow! I bet it's cleaner too :cool: I guess it's a bit of extra work for you, how do you find it?

i believe the washing is cleaner , at 1st i got my powder from the £1 shop but its false economy , daz twin tub powder is great. it is a bit extra work and it took a couple of days to get used to but instead of a 30 min wash just to freshen up some clothes i can do anything from 3-15 mins.
    The machine itself is direct drive so theres no belt theres virtually nothing that can go wrong [touch wood :cool:]
  • I praise you for the twin tub but couldn't accomodate one myself however my new machine has a very short (15 min) wash and I use that for washing everything except bedding.

My biggest OS is to try and make as many things myself for gifts (either baked, preserved or sewn) and find they are much appreciated by the recipients - particularly baby blankets with names embroidered on.
    Be nice to each other
    Robbiedoggy
  • BitterAndTwistedBitterAndTwisted Forumite
    22.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is the spin-dryer on that twin-tub? I seem to recall my mother taking nearly all day on Mondays doing the family's laundry in hers.

I'm not a proper OS type, really. I just sneak in here for handy tips and interesting chat among other things BUT I have made my own laundry-detergent aka "gloop" and very cheap and efficient it is, too. It's saved me buckets of money
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    the spin dryer is very fast 1400 spin ,some of the lighter items come out almost dry. the machine isnt perfect but i doubt i will go back to a normal machine for a very long long time.
  • CFCCFC PPR
    3.1K posts
    Stand alone spin dryers (as in a twin tub) are always better than front loaders.
  • elfenelfen Forumite
    10.2K posts
    I use the quick wash unless its for bedding and towels. I love my slow cooker and my hand blender
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.