Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

whats the most os thing you have done ? - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

whats the most os thing you have done ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
69 replies 20.9K views
123457»

Replies

• tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear we use foil to wrap our sarnies and throw it everyday:o We tend to use a lot too so we can sort of double wrap so they don't fall apart. I'm beginning to think I could use something else.. but it would need to hold the sarnie firm as we make them full of things that fall out if not tightly wrapped. Any suggestions?!

Edit.. yippee just realised I've earned a medal. I'm a serious money saving fan now!!

How about something like this?

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/product.html?product_id=1171&gclid=CNqd5qbY4KcCFUtC4QodLxvd8g
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • HariboJunkieHariboJunkie Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear we use foil to wrap our sarnies and throw it everyday:o We tend to use a lot too so we can sort of double wrap so they don't fall apart. I'm beginning to think I could use something else.. but it would need to hold the sarnie firm as we make them full of things that fall out if not tightly wrapped. Any suggestions?!

Edit.. yippee just realised I've earned a medal. I'm a serious money saving fan now!!

I couldn't be bothered with reusing foil and got fed up washing out freezer bags so recently bought these, though I got them for about £6 in Asda. They hold a round of sandwiches very firmly and as they are lock nlock style they should last forever.

HTH.:)
  • edited 1 April 2011 at 7:43AM
    SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2011 at 7:43AM
    Llanjen wrote: »
    CrissyG I'm really interested about the Twin tub, I'd never thought of that. One WM broke in the Autumn but we had a spare, however the programs aren't all working properly, I have to go back and put them on spin myself. Don't know how long that can last. I googled and the top twin tub website was Harris, about £250, they are not far from me over in North Shrops. Google Shopping has ones priced about 60 quid. What brand did you go for? I'll also be looking at all your washing liquid recipes.

well , ive learnt a very good [expensive]lesson. dont go backwards !! :othe machine is ok[polar quiet storm] it cleans really well although the hoses are poor quality. its marketed as "made in the uk" i suspect it has its hoses put on in the uk but the machines themselves are imported.
    i bought this one from twintub.co.uk and they have to be the sloppiest outfit EVER. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NONE EXISTANT.
    what i failed to take into account was the regular vomit covered clothes when dd has a seizure , not a pleasant event at the best of times but a huge hassle at 10pm ! :o
    lesson learnt im saving up for a new automatic and will be selling this white elephant.:o
  • Hello ChrissyG,

Sorry, just spotted your reply. I'm grateful for the word of warning, that's a big help. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out and I hope your DD feels better soon.
  • NicollNicoll Forumite
    217 posts
    ✭✭
    Not sure that's it's entirely OS but our biggest thing me and DH have done so far is go from 1 car and 1 motorbike each (The cars for getting us to work and stuff and the bikes for having fun), to having 1 car and 1 motorbike between us.

I realised we were barely using the bikes, DH's did less than 100 miles last year but was still costing us several hundred pounds in tax, insurance and MOT. Days when the weather is nice enough for a fair-weather rider, and he isn't at work, are few and far between. I used mine a bit more but not a lot.

Then at the end of this winter my car died and the amount of work it needed was more than the car was worth so we decided to scrap it. Got £170 for it scrap value which I was pleased with as didn't think we'd get anything for it. I decided not to replace it as I can easily use my motorbike to get about and my work is close enough that I can walk or cycle, just been too lazy when the car was sitting there!

We still need one car to take the dog out and pick up bags of horse feed and ferry the kids about when they visit and DH uses it for work as he works a bit further away than me (and is far to lazy to cycle :rotfl:). We've sold his bike and so we now only have 2 lots of tax, insurance, MOT, maintenance etc... so must be saving hundreds of pounds and we can still go out and have fun on the motorbike as it's a big enough one for him to ride with me as pillion.
    There is no issue so small that it can't be blown out of proportion
  • hamsmithhamsmith Forumite
    72 posts

ikea's bundle set of boxes for £3 has two boxes perfect for a round. i bought two sets and i have large tubs for freezing batch food and little snack tubs for the kids lunch boxes too.
  • tajtaj Forumite
    69 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    What works for me is not having a collection of towels in the bathroom...I just have a face cloth handy for drying my hands throughout the day ...much easier to wash and dry than big ones.
    Saves money on detergeant.
    I love being a non smoker (almost 5 years)
    I love being frugal
    I love being debt free and have NSD
  • elizabethhullelizabethhull Forumite
    643 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I use the wrapper the sliced bread comes in (that's around 2 per week).Then if we ever buy a sliced fruit loaf, the wrapper from that can be used. Occasionally something else is purchased that is put in a plastic bag of an appropriate size to be used as well. It means I use a sandwich bag from a roll not more than twice a week, so the rolls last ages.
    (I'm not sure I could persuade OH to bring the used bags home for washing & reusing.)
    I looked at the wigglywigglers item = a great idea, but they want £3.95 postage for a £6 item !!

• Teg-RemTeg-Rem Forumite
    97 posts
    I use all our old bedding, t shirts, pants etc as dusters and t towels and dishcloths etc. my nan did it inter war years and I still do. lol!!