Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Fundraising for school PTA

Options

Comments

• feclmum
    feclmum Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    would love some ideas for a family fun day in May please
  • purpleheather2810
    Options
    Great ideas folks! Re Summer Fair/Fetes - ours is 2nd July and we have booked the main things already - ice cream van, DJ, kung fu display (after school club). The cake stall is always well supported - last year a lot were thrown away when I wasn't looking :( Our chair has got some coconuts from somewhere and thought we might do a coconut shy - which led to us thinking of a retro/traditional fete. We are trying to think of more ideas along this theme, such as home-made lemonade stall, old-fashioned sweet stall (borrow some nice retro scales from someone and sell by the oz/g). How does this sound? Does anyone have any other ideas?
    :D Skint but happy with my lovely family :D

Hypnotherapy rocks :j
  • jaibaby
    jaibaby Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have a Christmas Fete, Summer Fete, "Come as you please" days, discos, and a few raffles and sponsored events.

It may be good for you to have a look on the Hasbro website. They do product donations to schools (not sure if you have to be a registered charity, as we are) - once a year we get a box with 8 toys in. Last year we had a star wars light sabre, my little pony playsets, mr potato head. In the past we had a great big My littlest petshop playset.

The only downside is, they tend to donate to nearest schools first. We are very lucky, their distrubution centre is only a few miles away, still in Newport. So you may not be accepted, but what is there to lose?
    Thanks to all posters :A
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Great ideas folks! Re Summer Fair/Fetes - ours is 2nd July and we have booked the main things already - ice cream van, DJ, kung fu display (after school club). The cake stall is always well supported - last year a lot were thrown away when I wasn't looking :( Our chair has got some coconuts from somewhere and thought we might do a coconut shy - which led to us thinking of a retro/traditional fete. We are trying to think of more ideas along this theme, such as home-made lemonade stall, old-fashioned sweet stall (borrow some nice retro scales from someone and sell by the oz/g). How does this sound? Does anyone have any other ideas?
    smashing crockery (do a risk assessment first!), beat the goalie, and smash the rat ... oh, and welly-wanging!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • woodywoody
    woodywoody Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I have recently joined the pta - its a whole new group due to some conflict previously, anyway our town is hosting a big may fayre celebration and we have been asked if we would like to run a stall there at a cost of £10. I think it would be good advertisment for our own summer fayre and good for the town to see a couple of children in uniform helping out. Does anyone have any ideas of what to put on the stall? We can't ask parents for donations as we need their help for the summer fayre? I thought maybe the lollipops in sand or straws in sand game but obviously we want to cover the fee plus some more.
    TIA
  • woodywoody
    woodywoody Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Some ideas that we use alot are termly discos - these make a really good profit and we try to have tombolas at all events again really good profit. This year for summer fayre we are having an animal theme, so have managed to get a local animal park to bring some in plus have lots of games for pence that the children can play and the usual raffle, barbecue etc
  • jaibaby
    jaibaby Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    woodywoody wrote: »
    Hi I have recently joined the pta - its a whole new group due to some conflict previously, anyway our town is hosting a big may fayre celebration and we have been asked if we would like to run a stall there at a cost of £10. I think it would be good advertisment for our own summer fayre and good for the town to see a couple of children in uniform helping out. Does anyone have any ideas of what to put on the stall? We can't ask parents for donations as we need their help for the summer fayre? I thought maybe the lollipops in sand or straws in sand game but obviously we want to cover the fee plus some more.
    TIA

Get the pupils to make something to sell. Cakes are always good - but make sure you have a disclaimer up (basically saying they were made by the kids and may contain nuts etc)
    Thanks to all posters :A
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jaibaby wrote: »
    Get the pupils to make something to sell. Cakes are always good - but make sure you have a disclaimer up (basically saying they were made by the kids and may contain nuts etc)
    but cakes requires effort / money from the parents or staff, so I'd suggest an activity: a simple craft or art thing which parents stay with their children for, but maybe children from the school can be there to help out youngsters / take the money etc.

If you do the lollipops or straws thing, I'd suggest having a prize every time, even if it's just 1p or a penny chew for a lot of them. Having a prize every time appeals to children, I find ...

Another one is to lay out a deck of cards and have a sweet on each one, then people choose from another pack and win whatever matches. Obviously some are tiny sweets and others are small bars of chocolate. But it could be a liability if it's very windy!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • dobs
    dobs Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi our school just had a mums pamper nite, virgin vie ladies were there and did a makeover demo plus lots of treatments for £4 each, had drinks and a chocolate fountain plus raffle, was really enjoyable. They are doing washing cars next month and have also started monthly cake sells, each month is the turn of a different class to bring the cakes in, raised alot of money this way.
    Can anyone please tell me what straws in the sand thing is please as haven't come across that before. I like the idea of selling ice creams, was that everyday or a certain day and how much did you charge for each? Great idea!
    grocery challenge jan 17 £ / 350.00
  • paulofessex
    paulofessex Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    Just an idea that may be good for money making at one of your stalls, l recall this as a kid myself and it was great fun.

Its was called Rat Catcher or similar. Basically you make some sand bag rats (don't forget the tails) you attach a length of guttering to plywood, and the person has to trap/whack the rat with a stick as it appears.

You could offer a prize for amount caught etc. Also l suppose if your creative you could change it from a rat to perhaps a more modern thing...ie. Pokemon, god l don't know l'm old....lol Its also an easy thing to store.

Here is a link to a photo l found on Google to show what l mean
    pixel.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family