Single mother, 2 children, what can they get?

Options

Comments

• xxtokerxx
    xxtokerxx Posts: 66 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2011 at 6:45PM
    Options
    LOL this really has gone completely off topic - despite me stating on numerous occasions this is wandering.

I made a simple request which in turn resulted in a lot of questions by answering these questions others took snippets to comment on (against) which then lead me to try and explain that point and the snowball began.

For all those wondering, 1 of the 2 children is mine and I am more than happy to pay my part for that child's upbringing.

Its funny how I can be judged in this manner when simply trying to understand a situation.

Also don't really see where I am bashing single parents?

People seem to be "defending" a lot here - I am not making an attack.

I have never been on benefits, and never want to be, I want to pay for what is mine and for what I use and happy to support the country. I have my own views which I am entitled to which I haven't expressed here other than I find it ironic how I can work and end up with less disposable income. The ironic part being where if I had a child while working with my current partner that we would be better off living off benefits - it has been mentioned that we pay out more in benefits that received in tax, that's no surprise when I have spent years building a career along with my partner yet we'd be better off watching tele at home!

Where is the single parent bash in all that?

Amazing that some people can be that judgemental, I don't really want to single people out and give fuel to the fire, its a stupid argument all of this.

For those who want to add all there comments about my real motive behind this etc. well here's all there is to it.

I work for my money to support my self and my family I was purely interested how much a single mother receives, I am a curious person and wanted to know. Call it nosey, call it what you like, but I have a right to know, and now I do.

Would you like the full story about my relationship? well I know your all desperate to rip it to threads and spin off the "bad father" or what ever it seems to be that your trying to accomplish here, but your wrong, you don't know the situation and there really is nothing more to reason why I asked the question other than to settle my own curiosity.

Continue with your comments if you like - but would appreciate if you could not try and make up why I might be asking questions or just to conclusions.

Never assume, always presume.

As I am sure your all aware this discussion has now violated the rules due to people making their own judgements on the situation - never judge a book by its cover, I have my answers and that's all from me.

Thanks to those that were able to simply provide the answers
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work full-time, two children who require childcare and earn just over £40K. I am considered a high earner and therefore am starting to contribute at 40% tax. Soon I will be loosing my tax credits and before I know it child benefits. I am not entitled to any help towards childcare. I own a three bed semi and pay £700 a month mortgage. I get nothing from my kids dad who is either not working or self employed and doesn't think he has to contribute since I am earning well. A very good friend of mine has separated from her husband. She has two children, one diagnosed with mild learning difficulties. He does go to a mainstream school. She owns a three bed link house. She gets IS, the interest on her mortgage is paid. Her sons gets DLA, tax credits with the disability allowance and carers element. As we are good friends, we calculated it all, and yep, she is left with.....£300 a month more disposable income than I... I don't if I or she was the most shocked. She is ashamed of the situation but of course makes the best of it. She will go back to work at some point because she is a pride person who doesn't like to be reliant on benefits, but she doesn't have much qualifications and knows there is no way she could ever earn a salary that would leave her better off than she is now.

I can understand the OP frustration with the system, but that's just the way it is unfortunately and nothing any individual can do about it.
  • Pinkruth
    Pinkruth Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    xxtokerxx wrote: »
    Panda - your not wrong, I am simply being nosey, they seem to have a lot of "cash" to buy things.

I know they are not doing anything illegal to earn the money and that its through benefits I was just shocked and wanted to know how much they'd be entitled too!

Not passing judgement on any one - just interested.

Its not wrong to be curious, but nice things doesnt neccessarily mean spare cash. She may have catalogues or other means of credit to afford these items.
    :j:):jI am a bankruptcy survivour (10 years ago). It does get easier.:j:):j
    :hello:
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    Son of Andy?!
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Jowo wrote: »
    Son of Andy?!
    I doubt it lol the OP is very similiar to a lot of NRP that you come across on here and many other forums.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    DX2 wrote: »
    I doubt it lol the OP is very similiar to a lot of NRP that you come across on here and many other forums.

Ah, that makes sense, I've only had a peak in the child support board and couldn't stand it. It reminded me of my brother who was furious that he couldn't give the PWC clothes for his child instead of money 'as she'll only spend it on herself' blah, blah, blah.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Jowo wrote: »
    Ah, that makes sense, I've only had a peak in the child support board and couldn't stand it. It reminded me of my brother who was furious that he couldn't give the PWC clothes for his child instead of money 'as she'll only spend it on herself' blah, blah, blah.

Well maybe she will.

Many of these 'child poverty' cases appear to be due to parents spending the money on themselves and not on their children.

I agree absolutely that an absent parent should pay their share in supporting their child, no question. But I see no harm either in buying clothes for the child if the other parent is not buying them. It does happen.

I'm not at all saying this is the case for Jowo's relative....just using the example to make a point.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Vicky123
    Vicky123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    I work full-time, two children who require childcare and earn just over £40K. I am considered a high earner and therefore am starting to contribute at 40% tax. Soon I will be loosing my tax credits and before I know it child benefits. I am not entitled to any help towards childcare. I own a three bed semi and pay £700 a month mortgage. I get nothing from my kids dad who is either not working or self employed and doesn't think he has to contribute since I am earning well. A very good friend of mine has separated from her husband. She has two children, one diagnosed with mild learning difficulties. He does go to a mainstream school. She owns a three bed link house. She gets IS, the interest on her mortgage is paid. Her sons gets DLA, tax credits with the disability allowance and carers element. As we are good friends, we calculated it all, and yep, she is left with.....£300 a month more disposable income than I... I don't if I or she was the most shocked. She is ashamed of the situation but of course makes the best of it. She will go back to work at some point because she is a pride person who doesn't like to be reliant on benefits, but she doesn't have much qualifications and knows there is no way she could ever earn a salary that would leave her better off than she is now.

I can understand the OP frustration with the system, but that's just the way it is unfortunately and nothing any individual can do about it.
    She has a child with learning difficulties, that is unfortunate not the fact that you have less money to live on than her, be thankful your children do not require DLA.
  • shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    Options
    Vicky123 wrote: »
    She has a child with learning difficulties, that is unfortunate not the fact that you have less money to live on than her, be thankful your children do not require DLA.

Your comment is totally irrelevant to the discussion!:mad:
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    xxtokerxx wrote: »
    I work for my money to support my self and my family I was purely interested how much a single mother receives, I am a curious person and wanted to know. Call it nosey, call it what you like, but I have a right to know, and now I do.

Actually, weren't you checking up/spying on what your neighbours may be getting?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure