Cheap e-book readers discussion

Options

Comments

• jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Expect that any DRM protected books you will not be legally allowed to covert to read on your e-reader. So that's most popular e-books. Pretty big downside.

Well it depends on personal tastes really. I'm not a massively regular reader overall so i'm not necessarily always going to always look towards the latest releases.

For me, it's more about the subject matter of the book or the story. If that intruiges me then i'll read it.

And i'm also of the mind that if i've paid for something then i'll bloomin' well read it on whatever device i want to, DRM or not :)
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Precisely - you've paid the copywrite on that book so what's the harm in reading it in a different format? Agree 100% there. No-one can expect you to buy multiple copies of the same book, or expect you to buy different readers depending on how the publisher decided to publish it. I'd love to see anyone taken to court for that!
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • boa_girl22
    Options
    In regards to the Binatone thats on sale at £25... as it only reads txt format I'm guessing it doesn't show images?

So what happens when you have a book with lots of images?
  • dcb1
    Options
    The wi-fi Kindle is shown as available from 4 suppliers - all at £89! I thought Retail Price Maintenance had been outlawed many years ago. Where is the real competition if all the retailers (including eBay) offer the Kindle at the same price?
  • webwiz
    webwiz Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how to download a book not bought from the Kindle Store onto the Kindle?
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :money:
    webwiz wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to download a book not bought from the Kindle Store onto the Kindle?

Google 'Calibre' (or go back through this thread to find a link), then folow the instructions.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Does anybody know where to get cheap/free books for the Kobo? I like stuff like Sophie Kinsella, Katie Price etc. Struggling to find any cheap ones!
  • grannyjo
    grannyjo Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 January 2012 at 2:01PM
    Options
    anyone know how to back up books I have bought for my kindle. Itried calibre and it will back up free books but ones that I have paid for are locked on the calibre site. - with a digital lock- can't remember the initials. I have found out from kindle amazon that if my husband and I register our kindles under the same kindle amazon site- then we can both download books we buy- but not from one account to the other. ie we can't have like a linked account.
    calibre says their are downloads to open the locked books- but I am wary of viruses etc. IT seems a bit much that we can't download from the kindle to the computer as a back up - any one else tried this and succeeded- thanks joanna
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    boa_girl22 wrote: »
    In regards to the Binatone thats on sale at £25... as it only reads txt format I'm guessing it doesn't show images?

So what happens when you have a book with lots of images?

There is an image viewer on the device that works well enough but it obviously shows the images in black and white as it's an e-ink device. As I'm currently reading 'the girl with the dragon tattoo' I can't yet say what happens with images, but i'd say it's highly likely that running the EPUB or MOBI file through calibre to convert them to text format will dump the images. I'll have a play around later on and see what happens.
    webwiz wrote: »

If you plug the kindle into your PC, you can open up windows explorer and just drag the book onto the device the same way you copy a file from one folder to another.
    dcb1 wrote: »
    The wi-fi Kindle is shown as available from 4 suppliers - all at £89! I thought Retail Price Maintenance had been outlawed many years ago. Where is the real competition if all the retailers (including eBay) offer the Kindle at the same price?

The Kindle is currently available from Tesco Direct for £79 from Tesco Direct if you use the code TDX-7PKF. It gets you £10 quid off any spend over £75 quid. Obviously if you have any clubcard vouchers you can bring the cost down even further.
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    Actually, if anyone can think of a book that has some images in it then let me know and i'll run it through Calibre and upload it to my reader and i'll post some pictures later on if it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure