We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How much do you live on per month?

Options

Comments

• Lucy1010
    Lucy1010 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Erme wrote: »
    Lucy this is easy hun...You join couchsurfing.org - find your local group and go to the meets. If they're in a pub you spend the night on a pint of tap water.....Simple. Not only will couchsurfing get you cheap nights out with a bunch of equally broke young people (generally) but could also provide cheap places to stay in the long term. :)...Nothing like megabus and couchsurfing :)

Otherwise if you just want to meet up for coffee with friends you get the 's' card (top up pre payment card) and put £5-10 per month on it...take you own plastic cup in (gotten from the £shop) and make sure you get the whipped cream/soya/syrup (these are free if you reg the card online) and then sit there all pm with your 75p filtered coffee chilling....Just make sure (this is the one exception to the doughnut rule) you get your cake before you go to Mr S cheap otherwise you'll spend a small fortune on muffins...:eek: So best get that first...You also get one free refill on this deal as well :)

E

Hi Erme, thanks for the advice but joining a group and sitting in a pub sipping on a pint of tap water just isn't my thing ... AT ALL. I am a million miles away from enjoying anything like that... NOW, if you can find me a group where they enjoy champers on a budget then we're talking :)
    Debt Bust LBM 01/01/2013 - [STRIKE]£11,115.28[/STRIKE] £10,593.81

Debt free date: Sept 2014 :beer:
  • Lucy1010
    Lucy1010 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    ani_26 wrote: »
    Just a quick one before i go to work.

Good to see you're still here Lucy, and thanks Lucy, Kerri, Curly, Aesop, and anyone else.

No change to the monthly budget yet, although i still have no need for a monthly budget. I still spend what little i can spare, on food, which still equates to approximately £10 a week, which i guess is approx £40 a month, which just shows, it can be done, loosely speaking.

Nh xx

Hi Ani!

You have no idea how happy I am to see you here. I have started reading your diary xx
    Debt Bust LBM 01/01/2013 - [STRIKE]£11,115.28[/STRIKE] £10,593.81

Debt free date: Sept 2014 :beer:
  • J_i_m
    J_i_m Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    Once my DD's have gone through I tend to budget about £20-25 a week for food/groceries and £15 a week for diesel.

If I'm on a bit of a cash flow problem then I tend to draw out cash at the beginning of the month and do my damnedest to make it last until pay day. Leave my cards at home when going shopping and only take with me my weekly budget in cash. That way if I overspend, then I have to have something taken off my items at the checkout.
    :www: Progress Report :www:
    Offer accepted: £107'000
    Deposit: £23'000
    Mortgage approved for: £84'000
    Exchanged: 2/3/16
    :T ... complete on 9/3/16 ... :T
  • beachie
    beachie Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    How is every going tonight? Really want to go to the shop to get some beers but resisting so far! :mad:
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]Jan 11 - £91830 [/STRIKE][STRIKE] Jan 12 - £89'199[/STRIKE] May 14 - £69'999 Car Loan: [STRIKE]Jan 11 - £3658 [/STRIKE] July 12 - £0! Credit Card: [STRIKE] Jan 11 - £3300 Jan 12 - £2250 [/STRIKE] Oct 13 - £0

MFiT-T3:#43 (Half Mortgage) April 13 - £10719/£42875 (25.00%)
  • GradInDebt
    Options
    £125 rent
    £65 loan for a bike
    £17 broadband
    £30 phone contract

leaving £715 a month.

Which is more than in my last job, but I still manage my money badly and I'm failing to clear my ~£2400 worth of overdrafts.

My money management at the moment really needs to change!
  • ani_26
    ani_26 Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    Lucy1010 wrote: »
    Hi Ani!

You have no idea how happy I am to see you here. I have started reading your diary xx

Hmmmm

Anyone else find that the sun makes you want to spend?

Yes, and spend, today, i did. A whole £1.19 on a McFlurry, which i proceeded to drop on the floor, as i've lost all sense of balance. £1.19. Thats a huge treat, but i'm fed up of seeing schoolkids walking around, obviously with more spending money, than me! Btw, i'm rich, well i'm not really rich, but some money magically appeared in my account today and yesterday, and with a bit of luck, next week, too.

So that was it. I spent £200 at the pawn shop getting my fiddle back, and £1.19 on the McFlurry. End of spending spree, for now, as i have'nt chance to go food shopping this weekend, as i'm still working, on this job.
    Debt free - Is it a state of mind? a state of the Universe? or a state of the bank account?
    free from life wannabe

Official Petrol Dieter
  • beachie
    beachie Posts: 463 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2011 at 8:21PM
    Options
    Yes certainly want to spend more when it is sunny. Would love to spend the afternoon at the pub having some drinks, but then think about how expensive it would be! :rotfl:

I wanted to have a BBQ but no-one is around it would seem and couldn't afford it anyway - hard when everyone is talking about BBQ's!

I went to the shop and bought some milk and cider - total cost £3.50.
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]Jan 11 - £91830 [/STRIKE][STRIKE] Jan 12 - £89'199[/STRIKE] May 14 - £69'999 Car Loan: [STRIKE]Jan 11 - £3658 [/STRIKE] July 12 - £0! Credit Card: [STRIKE] Jan 11 - £3300 Jan 12 - £2250 [/STRIKE] Oct 13 - £0

MFiT-T3:#43 (Half Mortgage) April 13 - £10719/£42875 (25.00%)
  • iwantahome
    iwantahome Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    The sun really made me want to sit in a beer garden with a nice cold drink after work today. None of my friends were available and I still haven't got up the confidence to go in myself yet. :o:o
    DFD: 23/12/2010
  • Erme
    Erme Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry guys I didn't succeed on the no smokes...Head got really bad and right now I need more sleep having just slept from 3 - 5am on the sofa :eek:....

Get an ice cream maker from the charity shop Ani if you're that desperate for a McFlurry..

Hugs

E
    PS. What happened yesterday is all on the no smoking thread. And I wasn't a 20 a day smoker but a 40 a day :eek:
    :dance:
    I believe in the power of PAD
    Come and join us on the Payment a Day thread
    :dance:
  • caledonian_princess
    Options
    iwantahome wrote: »
    The sun really made me want to sit in a beer garden with a nice cold drink after work today. None of my friends were available and I still haven't got up the confidence to go in myself yet. :o:o
    Maybe if you got a coffee or juice and a sandwich it would be easier? It might feel more like a cafe that happens to serve alcohol. That's how I got myself started.

I'm meeting a friend for lunch today (stop pointing at me... I budgeted for it ;)) which is the first non DFW thing I've done for weeks. I can't believe how excited I am about it.

Hope everyone has a fab weekend.
    Whatever
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family