Options

Comments

• I_know_my_ABC_and_my_CMYK
    I_know_my_ABC_and_my_CMYK Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 April 2010 at 2:30AM
    Options
    Not so.

We only apply the £50.00 charge if the customer has been negligent or delayed reporting the fraud.

The bank does have the right to apply the £50.00 liabilty but does not do so in every case.

That is what I posted, go back and read it:)

The law changed in 2009 to put the onus on the banks to prove the card holder had been negligent with their details and so meant that the card holder was only liable for the first £50 of the fraudulent transaction and not the full amount
    Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
    It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
    I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p
  • papple77
    papple77 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Just a bit of an update,went into my local Lloyds branch yesterday and got a free overdraft sorted so no boucing cheques or D/D's (hopefully).Their fraud dept looking into it (starting fully on Tues due to bank holidays).Being told will get refunded in 1-2 weeks after relevant forms have gone through.Cant fault Lloyds at Merry Hill branch really helpful/sympathetic,one blessing is we keep a good account with them(from our point of view anyway (dont use O/D facilities etc) so getting an instant decision on the availability of a temp O/D facility eased our worries.
    next set of problems will be when we have a new debit card and all the insecurities we have about using it.........trying to go cash all the way from now on,the downside being having to go to the branch more often!!

cheers
  • papple77
    papple77 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    further info: money recreditted yesterday morning,no forms as of yet to complete.Very happy with Lloyds service, only one thing I'm missing out on in this whole issue is 5 minutes alone with the scum bags who do these sort of debit card cons........cant have everything though
  • mikemartin14
    Options
    I have just experienced the same thing on 26th October, my bank, the Alliance and Leicester, allerted me to the fraud within 1 hour of it occuring, it went to their fraud investigation department in Milton Keynes, after much chasing by myself, no follow up was at their instigation, they have informed me that on 2nd November they decided that I would not be reimbursed for the £600 of fraudulent transactions, the only money I have got back was a further £130 that I chased up off my own back and was reimbursed by the trader themselves, who accepted that the transaction was fraudulent, so well done Paypal, shame on you Alliance and Leicester.
  • anna_grant
    anna_grant Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just had a text from Lloyds TSB saying 'have you attempted to buy online for £600 at Pixamania. Please confirm if this is correct reply Y or N.'

Replied N and they then sent a text to say they'd phone me. The phoned but it was a recorded message asking me to phone them.

Phoned them and got the card cancelled. Luckily, this is a debit card that I keep very little in and I only ever use it on-line - never in a shop. Little shaken but at least I haven't lost anything and don't have to go through what everybody has in this thread. Now studying my transactions to see at what website my details became compromised!

I can't get a credit card, so have always used this debit card which is Visa to make online purchases. Wondering if there is another safer way of shopping online?
    ¿Alguien ha visto a mi nave espacial?

Biting is excellent. It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    anna_grant wrote: »
    I've just had a text from Lloyds TSB saying 'have you attempted to buy online for £600 at Pixamania. Please confirm if this is correct reply Y or N.'

Replied N and they then sent a text to say they'd phone me. The phoned but it was a recorded message asking me to phone them.

Phoned them and got the card cancelled. Luckily, this is a debit card that I keep very little in and I only ever use it on-line - never in a shop. Little shaken but at least I haven't lost anything and don't have to go through what everybody has in this thread. Now studying my transactions to see at what website my details became compromised!

I can't get a credit card, so have always used this debit card which is Visa to make online purchases. Wondering if there is another safer way of shopping online?

Paypal?...
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • anna_grant
    anna_grant Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Paypal?...

Well, yeah - but not enough retailers accept it.
    ¿Alguien ha visto a mi nave espacial?

Biting is excellent. It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had an unexpected experience with our Mastercard, they rang us to say a "suspicious transaction" had just been noted and had we authorised it? Thinking that it would be for £100s (or more) we were immediately worried but the chap at the other end said, no, it's all right, it's a credit card transaction for. . .

. . . a book of six First Class stamps.

I couldn't believe it but he said buying low value items was a tactic some criminals were using as a "test purchase" (?) and the cc companies had come across a lot of this kind of behaviour.

Still seems weird to me, why would anyone want to buy some stamps on a credit card? I know Royal Mail gets more expensive by the year but even so. . .
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Barclays phoned me over a donation to nspcc(i think)as they were the main charity for donations to Haiti,where I donated £1

They called,considering the charity was in the US
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Toe-Jam wrote: »
    Why do people keep £1000's in their current accounts, surely this is asking for trouble. Not to mention the fact that its earning hardly any interest.

I keep about £100 in mine, and the rest in a savings account, I can tranfer between them on my mobile.

I've been cought out twice by recurring transactions, which isn't fraud, but its theft as I didn't allow them to take the money but they did anyway.
    In my case, I dont think I could, considering I now have an Islamic Current account at Lloyds TSB. The other alternative would be HSBC Amanah where the profit rates should remain the same, whether it be a savings/current account.

Also, I thought saving accounts were best for people who have trouble with managing their money?
    Paypal?...
    Most of my online purchases are through PayPal, yet I was still defrauded of £70 a while ago, that Barclays recovered in 2 weeks and sent me a new card in the process, and started an investigation. I spotted the transaction 1 day after it took place, as coincidentally I was initiating a bank transfer online, and I was looking through my statement at the same time. Not to mention that Barclays use the best security measure for online use as well, with their PinSentry reader that uses an 8 bit encryption that changes every 30 or 90 seconds or so. My card was used online, which really confused me(I called the company where my money went to)

I still have £1 with them, considering they give me free Kaspersky Internet Security (3 user) free every year :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure