PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to Get Through The Tough Times The Old Style Way.

Options

Comments

• shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    ginnyknit wrote: »
    Well I would never have thought of making rice pud in the micro - am going to try that later!

Did most of my weekly shop on the local market today and got a nice chicken for 2.99, big chunk of cheese for 1.75. Am doing my best to support the market. It also saves petrol as its nearer than Mr S. The cake stall is good - M&S seconds at 50-70p. Things are definately tougher at Ginnyknit towers. Mum just lent me her sowing machine as I have lost the instruction book to mine and cannot sort the tension out without it! Am going to spend next week sewing. New pillowcase,and some aprons for the donkey sanctuary fair. been making cards too thanks to a generous donation from a member on here of lots of craft bits. Have to keep my mind and hands occupied as am getting terribly stressed at the mo!

Weather not bad in Manchester am happy to report, actually saw 2 Robins today which made my day :)

I remember years ago my mother use to boil the rice for about 2 hours, she never had micro them days, its so easy these days to bung stuff in that would normally take hours to cook and hey ho presto its ready and does taste the same, I shall definately be cooking more rice for deserts in the future, it tastes so much better than buying that tin crap..........:D
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    fedupfreda wrote: »
    shegar wrote: »
    .ive been outside quite a lot today doing jobs, plus inside as well, got me grass cut, washing dried. ...........

Cut the grass? What's that??? Not had to do that since we had the chickens - 3 girls and they keep the grass well underfoot ....:rotfl::rotfl: The grass in my garden is currently 1/2 inch long - any growth gets pecked off by the hens.

Now if I could work out a way to keep them penned in the front garden they could cut the grass there too .... :think:

Hi to all the newbies :wave:

Off to play catch up. See you later x

Ive got my hens fenced off otherwise id be like you and not have any to cut, when I do cut the grass the hens have it all ,so they still get it , but the way I want them to have it........:D
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    de1amo wrote: »
    congrats kidcat--i do wish i had the nerve to sell my place in the uk--my wife insists i keep my piece of England but i know it is a very poor choice given the omens. the only thing it benefits me by is having a postal address that my doctor accepts and keeps me on his books--it would be cheaper to sever all connection and buy cover here.
    if i sold it i could buy 2 letting flats here that would bring me enough income to alleviate the need to work!-i would always work but it takes the pressure off----i left the uk initially because my illness put the mockers on getting a decent job and i was deemed unfit by uk doctors to work no matter how i pleaded--getting signed on is not as easy as it may seem--you have to be deemed unfit by experts who know nothing!- i was unfit in the uk but i now manage to function well-necessisity is the mother,,,,

Keep going if you can, inactivity has it's own health hazards.
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening guys.

Hope everyone ok,having nice weeked.

well today dident do much.
    :D
    yesterday overdid the housework and nesting as had agents inspection this morning.
    Also thourght eldest had afterschool club yesterday and needed picking up half past 4.
    half past 3get phone call from school askingmeif im ok and whos picking your child upthey finish at 3.15.

I said afterschool club they moved from wed9th march due to parents evening to friday.
    Sadly its was friday 8th april!

gets better rush there shes told the headmaster,teacher,classroom assistant and reception that my mummsy having the baby thats why shes not here!:rotfl:

Sotoday i chilled. baked pancakes and fairy cakes with eldest.
    took them both to park.
    gave them good scrub in bath,

rant of day walked home via cyclepath council have decimated the trees/bushes not pruned looks awful and now worried how much there will be to forage in few months time!:mad:

Also one of youngest whitecardies looks yellow god knows what its washedwith.any ideas to get it brillaint white again?
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • born_blonde
    Options
    Well ashamed to say I'm in bed now. Bad day, up early to get the campsite ready for our first campers and none of them turned up. I know plans change but a phone call doesn't hurt.
    So locked the gates and did more gardening.
    Tea an abject failure. son tried his best but I ended up making him a cheese sandwich instead.
    Do hope the camping season improves I think the fuel prices are going to hit the weekend break holidays this year especially when you are towing.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Able Archer
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2011 at 10:17PM
    Options
    Re chickens:
    I wish they'd do that to mine instead of scratching it to death. I've never known lawns to get bald spots!! I have to keep them in the lower half of the garden to prevent them from sabotaging my lawn. You'll have to let me know your secrets! We even returfed the worst affected areas but they can kick it up to get to the grubs beneath, hmph!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well ashamed to say I'm in bed now. Bad day, up early to get the campsite ready for our first campers and none of them turned up. I know plans change but a phone call doesn't hurt.
    So locked the gates and did more gardening.
    Tea an abject failure. son tried his best but I ended up making him a cheese sandwich instead.
    Do hope the camping season improves I think the fuel prices are going to hit the weekend break holidays this year especially when you are towing.

Well, Tunisia, Algeria, Morrocco off the list and Egypt looking dodgy.

Flight duty up and Air traffic controllers in Spain throwing toys out of the pram, I'd say it may not be too bad.

As a lifelong camper I would never just not turn up.
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    So glad you all liked the chicken recipe - it's ridiculously simple for something which tastes so good - and I'm going to have to make some for us now...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ChocClaire, everyone seems to like your recipe but we don't drink alcohol and I wouldnt buy it even though I know cooking it gets rid of the alcohol. My question is do you (or anyone) know of a substitute in a recipe when it says wine that isn't alcoholic? I really would like to try it if there was something else I could put in.

Ginny knit: which Market did you go to? Ours have all been decimated. We used to have good markets but no more.
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Mrs_Veg_Plot
    Mrs_Veg_Plot Posts: 960 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2011 at 11:26PM
    Options
    Evening all

Got up this morning and decided to empty the freezer and re-list the contents. I also got out pastry, biscuit dough, mince etc to make pasties and things for lunches for next week, then I caught up on a weeks worth of posts and just as I was constructing my post got a phone call from the care home to say nan is ill so had to rush off and have spent the day there. Anyway she seems a little better this evening. Got back tonight to a kitchen full of defrosted stuff that needed sorting out. Pasties are now done but are stuck to the greased proof paper so I'm waiting for then to go completely cold to see if I can peel them off.

I had written a shopping list this morning so OH went and got it for me. Luckily he has been with me a few times recently so he knew the drill and went to all of the right shops instead of just going to one of the big supermarkets, he got it in at £60 which was good going. I laughed when he sent me a text saying shopping done and hardly went off plan at all, he is comming on well with my OS lessons.

It's difficult to comment on a weeks worth of posts as I am sure to forget something or someone so I won't comment today but I'm glad every one is more or less OK and that annie56 has re-appeared.

Still have not tried the charity shop for new work trousers, will do this at some point soon as the trouser situation is getting desperate, I'm having to resort to wearing a skirt some days :eek: .

Gaily glad to hear you chilled a bit today. Get your feet up.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Mrs VP
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure