PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to Get Through The Tough Times The Old Style Way.

Options

Comments

• hornetgirl
    hornetgirl Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Another vote here for ChocClare's Chicken. We just had it for lunch and it was delicious.

It's a miserable wet day here today. I'd planned on washing the bedding, but there's no way it will get dry outside, so it will have to wait for another day. I refuse to put it in the tumble dryer. Wishing now I'd done it yesterday, while it was sunny and blowy. Oh well.
  • silvermaid
    silvermaid Posts: 643 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Greyqueen. Sounds like you'll have lots of lovely produce in a few months time.
    Mrsvegplot - hope your Nan is O.K.
    FTM - our neighbour has 2 cats that think our garden is their personal lavatory :( Like the idea of givine their carp back to them.
    Bertiebots - just lots and lots of hugs.
    Well chicken is in to roast, onions have been planted. Parsnips planted too:)
    Hope all is well for you all this Sunday, Silver x
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx :laugh:
    As Cranky says, "M is for mum, not maid".
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since a few pages back we were talking about Government Grants and cavity wall/insulation etc I had a knock on the door last week with a representative saying there was a scheme for free solar panels. I was cooking kids tea at the time so had a polite no thanks and she went away. Is this legit? Anyone heard of such a scheme? Sounded too good to be true....
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • kalojac
    kalojac Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bitsy Beans - this is the link to the MSE page re Solar Panels - HTH - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels
  • fedupfreda
    fedupfreda Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Re chickens:
    I wish they'd do that to mine instead of scratching it to death. I've never known lawns to get bald spots!! I have to keep them in the lower half of the garden to prevent them from sabotaging my lawn. You'll have to let me know your secrets! We even returfed the worst affected areas but they can kick it up to get to the grubs beneath, hmph!

Its a pain when they keep scratching the grass up - but as a plus point, they have scratched out all the thatch and moss that used to be in the lawn :D one less job to do :D (I call it a 'lawn' but it wasn't a bowling green in the first place, so I'm not that fussed :))

FTM - I used to get a problem with cats using my garden as a latrine as well - it stopped when we got the hens - no self respecting cat will go anywhere near them - they will hurl themselves at anything that comes anywhere near 'their' patch (they even give the police helicopter the 'evil eye' when it flies over :eek:) Mind you ours do have the run of the garden - so they fertilize the grass, IYKWIM - and my boys are past the playing in the garden stage - so don't know if letting the chooks out when the cat's about is a possible solution for you - but as a plus point, chicken poo is a darn sight pleasanter to clean up than a cat's :eek: .... and I used to have 2 cats so I have had more than enough of that to do, thanks very much....:eek:

Hoping everyone is having a good day and enjoying the weekend. :)
    SMILE....they will wonder what you are up to...........;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :D Finally got started on the lottie at 11.15 today. Bit later than I intended but I have a serious MSE forum addiction, never mind the rest of the web :rotfl:Finished up at 2.30 pm when the rain closed in. It's now nearly dark here in Provincial City which is a helluva difference from Saturday when it was glorious the whole day and we were on the plot from 9 ish to 3 ish (hence barely being able to move today!) Owww, I need a special back for gardening with, it's too tough on my regular one.

Funny stuff I dug up today: A large old-fashioned key, badly corroded, a plastic sugar bowl with one of its three feet missing, a yellow teapot spout, misc bits corroded gawdknowswhat, a mummified common newt, some glass, sundry nails, screws and bolts as well as the usual carp.

Funny things I have dug up on other people's allotments: a saucepan, buried carpets (one with a knife under it, oo-err!), 12 volt batteries, a car windscreen, a shoe and the remains of a sock (looked very hard for toe bones but doesn't seem to have been a foot in it when buried), misc cutlery, the stock of an airgun, marbles (knew I'd lost mine somewhere), misc surprised looking toads one of which was v.v big and lime green and quite scary.....:rotfl:

The problem: As I went to put my digging fork away I noticed I's somehow managed to impale a large nut (metallic not organic) and it is now jammed halfway up the tine. Any suggestions as to how to get the blasted thing off, pretty please?

:) Heading off the web as nearly 4pm. Catch up tomorrow......have a nice evening everyone.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • flowertotmum
    flowertotmum Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi freda...funny thing is that cat won't go on the side that i let the chickens run around on..o no it has to sh*t where the girls play..wether the grass is long or short...last summer it tried it while we were all out there having a bbq..i will give it back to him..and he won't like it..but would be funny to see the look on his face...
    Right ladies i need to pick your brains...i need to stock up my baking cupboard..ground almonds,vanilla essence,treacle,choc chips etc..o and a box of semolina..where are the best places to go at the moment...we have an asda,sainbugs,morriseys,lidl,aldi in our town..so where do i start..i just used to bung it in the trolley and paid no attention to the price..now i'm price concious and frugal..i need to get the stuff for less IYKWIM...
    be back later
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

:) Going to sow courgettes and butternut squash undercover; don't soak them but do slightly abrade the seeds to help the water penetrate. I'm an old hand with courgettes but this will be the first time with any kind of squash; any recommendations from the gang will be gratefully received.

GreyQueen - I grew Sweet Dumpling Squash from Seed last year for the first time and didn't presoak the seed, just popped the seeds into individual modules and they all germinated without a problem - had so many I was able to give some to friends.;) Going to grow them again this year as they were so successful. Trying Butternut Squash for the first time this year - this "grow your own" is so addictive but I love it and love being able to turn the produce into meals, jams, chutneys etc that can be "swapped/bartered" with friends. Last year I gave a friend veggies, jams etc over a space of a few weeks and she turned up one day with a bottle of Champagne which we put aside and had at Xmas.:D
    Just got back from the allotment - had gone to admire the rotovated ground - managed to ferret about at the base of the unidentified bushes and if the labels don't lie - we have inherited 9 raspberry and 3 blackcurrant bushes, a large rhubarb plant and two dozen strawberry plants :j Its raining today so the spud lanting has been postponed until a drier day :p

charlies-aunt what a fantastic discovery for you, you should get loads of fruit from that lot - you must be chuffed.;)

Done a bit of Spring cleaning indoors this morning and got plenty of stuff to take to the Charity Shop tomorrow, also kept some bits aside that we will take to Boot Fair when the Weather turns warmer.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    I planted some beetroot last night,a la MontyDon.I have a rice pudding in the oven and some bread rising. Sausage casserole for dinner.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • mrswive
    mrswive Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    On the gardening front, I'm also going to have a go at butternut squash this year as well as courgettes, runner beans , purple sprouting broccoli and whatever else I can fit in - I think the veg plot may have to be extended somewhat!
    Bought a Jaeger jacket for £15 from CS today, so am well pleased!
    Will be trying ChocClare's chicken tomorrow as it's had so many rave reviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure