Great 'Dating on the cheap' Hunt

Comments

• Most romantic date I ever had was being driven up to Kings Park in Perth after dark to see the city all lit up, and then spend a few hours lying on the grass, staring at the stars and chatting. Very sweet, very romantic, completely free :D

Alternatively, use Groupon vouchers - they have the original price on so your date won't know exactly how much saved. Last week we went for a very swanky meal, which instead of being £70 a head, was £50 for the two of us :)
  • First I will say that I am very fond of offers myself and amongst my friends I am famous as the "coupon woman" as I can usually rustle up a voucher if we are planning to eat out.

However last year I went out with a bloke who brought 'cheap-ness' to whole new depths. He would say, "Let's go to X, because I've got a voucher". If I said I didn't like X (ie I'm gluten free so no point going out for pizza/pasta) he just looked blank and repeated, "but I've got a voucher". I could not get him to understand that doing something you don't want to do/eat what you don't want to eat, is not a pleasant thing to do.

Needless to say, I am gladly single again!
  • Just out of interest, do people think it would be different if a female produced a voucher?!

I'm not sure I would produce a voucher on a first date (although if I were at an establishment that accepted them I would be very upset at not being able to use one!) but certainly by the second I'd like to think a voucher was acceptable for both parties. I couldn't handle being with soneone who wasted money or had too much "financial pride" and I think it'd be best to make that crystal clear from the off.

Either way unless a guy was loaded I'd like to pay my way. He should buy the first drink (if it was him who did the asking) and I should be allowed to buy the second. I'm a lightweight, so a third drink is rarely a good idea, but by that point I'd be unlikely to care who's buying!
    MSE aim: more thanks than posts :j
  • Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    caedle56 wrote: »
    Totally free date. One boyfriend I had many years ago arranged to meet me at the gates of a local large park, I thought we might be going to the Hotel which was in the park for a meal or a drink. Wrong, we walked around the lake and then he steered me to some trees just out of sight of the general flow of the park and proceeded to grope me! It was clear he expected a lot more. Surprisingly, I didn't see him again.

I've had the joy of a date similar to this... >.<
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • First I will say that I am very fond of offers myself and amongst my friends I am famous as the "coupon woman" as I can usually rustle up a voucher if we are planning to eat out.

However last year I went out with a bloke who brought 'cheap-ness' to whole new depths. He would say, "Let's go to X, because I've got a voucher". If I said I didn't like X (ie I'm gluten free so no point going out for pizza/pasta) he just looked blank and repeated, "but I've got a voucher". I could not get him to understand that doing something you don't want to do/eat what you don't want to eat, is not a pleasant thing to do.

Needless to say, I am gladly single again!
    It is very worrying that there are guys out there who just don't get it.
    If a coupon was or wasn't used on a first date then I'd still split the cost of the meal and drinks unless the guy insisted. But if it was to P*zza h*t then I'd still refused. Their Pizzas are really high in calories and bad fats - it's not worth the additional layer of fat on my a**.
    Good luck in your search for a man who is fairly money savy and treats you well. (Just to clarify - not with presents but kindness).
    KBx
    Keybilly
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£111,000 [/STRIKE]£107,000- under £100,000 by December 2011
    Grocery challenge January 2011 - £50.91 / £50(+5%)
    :j NSD - 5
    Weight loss challenge - January 2011 - 3 / 4lbs Total to loose - 10lbs Gym - 6/Jan11
  • lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    I'm more concerned about finding someone who wants to date me than where we go or how much it costs! :(
  • SaintMark
    SaintMark Posts: 26 Forumite
    lynsayjane wrote: »
    I'm more concerned about finding someone who wants to date me than where we go or how much it costs! :(

Yeah, I have that problem too :sad:
  • Wouldn't be comfortable whipping out a voucher on a first "date", unless I knew the person already. I'll always buy the first drink, and offer to pay for the 2nd. Would expect the woman to at least offer to pay part/half though. If I was driving I'd quite like to go watch the stars, as and when they're out that is!
  • grimsalve
    grimsalve Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Keybilly wrote: »
    But if it was to P*zza h*t then I'd still refused. Their Pizzas are really high in calories and bad fats - it's not worth the additional layer of fat on my a**.

Just goes to show that men can never win - my ex went off in a huff when I said to her "I would offer to take you out for a pizza but your bottom is big enough already"
  • My boyfriend and I love our Groupon dates! We have had some lovely meals and will be going horse-riding with them soon! There is a lot of satisfaction to be gained from a bargain!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure