Options
Glad
Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
whilst I'm online new posts show as the 'open envelope'
but if I go offline and then come back all threads are showing 'no new posts' even when I know there have been more posts in those threads since I last read them,
am I missing something obvious here :confused:
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• bridiej
    bridiej Posts: 5,775 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You and me both I think...

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I sometimes have a problem with some posts showing as unread when I have read them but not the other way round.

If you logout then login it shows you as having no new posts. If you have left "Remember me" ticked when you logged in then I don't know why that would happen:confused:
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as everyone else, but have put it down to a quirk in the forum while things are still being tweaked backstage. Maybe I'm on wrong on that. Does anyone from the techie side of things want to clarify the situation for us?
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have same "probs" also plenty of closed envelopes when I know that I have not read those threads, also what now constitutes a "hot" topic? I have seen them as low as 6 reads.
    Also why are some of the threads in highlight and some not, these are not just todays or not read by me as both are in evidence, :confused:
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most forums work differently to the old forum software, YaBB, and I'm assuming that this software, vB, works like the majority of other fourms.

New posts will be posts since your last visit and not since you last read that thread.

Forums will register when you started your last visit, either in the database or in a cookie on your computer. When you don't click on anything within the forum for a period of time, usually between 15-30 minutes depending on the forum software, it tells itself you've finished viewing the forum.

The next time you come back it updates its records when you start your visit, and finds all the posts since your last visit and highlights them as new posts.

It makes no difference if you click on 'Remember me' or not.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    but it doesn't

if I go offline and then come back lots of threads have closed envelopes on them but I know there have been new posts on them since I last was on the site
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm.... After a quick look through various boards I see what you mean. It looks to me as if it's showing all new posts since I started this session.
  • mrtickle
    mrtickle Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    isasmurf wrote:
    Most forums work differently to the old forum software, YaBB, and I'm assuming that this software, vB, works like the majority of other fourms.

New posts will be posts since your last visit and not since you last read that thread.

Yes. This is my major, major gripe. It only "works" if I can read the forum fully up to date during each visit. After each visit (or as you say below, if you're accidentally idle for too long) it completely wipes all records of what I have and have not read! The old forum didn't do this, it properly remembered which threads I had read.
    Forums will register when you started your last visit, either in the database or in a cookie on your computer. When you don't click on anything within the forum for a period of time, usually between 15-30 minutes depending on the forum software, it tells itself you've finished viewing the forum.

The next time you come back it updates its records when you start your visit, and finds all the posts since your last visit and highlights them as new posts.

Whereas in reality, I have read "Credit cards" up until 11th Dec 2004, "Mortgages" up until 30th Oct 2004, etc. I only know this because I am now forced to keep my own manual records on my PC!

I'm sorry but I can't stress enough how I hate this loss of functionality in the new forum. There is no way I can ever read the few fora I'm interested in up-to-date on each visit: even if I was up to date right now, I can only visit in short sessions. So the read/unread status will be lost every time. This is a massive step backwards :(. Please, please is there anything you can do about this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure