Alliance & Leicester (merged)

Options

Comments

• kimothy_2
    Options
    Is anyone else having problems with alliance & leicester. Have a court date next week, just wanted to know if anyone else had settled with them!
  • sb727
    Options
    I've just noticed that Alliance and Leicester have simplified their overdraft fees (for those within the OD limit). New charges are 50p per day, up to £5 per month. I calculated my OD charges would have been 38 pence for the last 2 months, based on previous charge rate. The NEW rate for the same cover would be £7.50. That means I would have paid 157% interest rate instead of 7.9%! My free 12 months is up next month, and I'll be looking for a new account. I know they've got to find the money to cover their good offers, but this is too much.:eek:
  • stacey21_2
    Options
    Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered before, just looking for some quick help,

I have written to Alliance and Leicester about my £200 charges for being £4 overdrawn (from their own 'underfunding fee'!!) and they have written back about the charges being fair bla bla bla, about the test case bla bla bla but there is one sentence that I am stuck on...

Alliance and Leicester is not one of the banks and building societies in the test case.

Can I just go ahead with the reclaiming procedure then?

Thanks
    :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
  • grumble_2
    Options
    I have sucessfully claimed back bank charges for one of my sons, but I now come to claim bank charges back for my second son, and Alliance and Leicester have said that there is a test case pending and will not continue with my claim until the case is over.

Can they delay the request for re-claim ???
    Graham
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    kimothy wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems with alliance & leicester. Have a court date next week, just wanted to know if anyone else had settled with them!

If you read back through earlier posts you'll find that A&L have settled albeit at the very last minute.

Having said that, prepare for court and them turning up and/or applying for a stay and good luck.
  • oxymore
    oxymore Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, after reading a couple of the recent posts, am I correct in thinking that A&L HAVE signed the waiver so no-one at all has been able to claim from them until after the test case is finished? Including new customers?

I have already complained by phone and by internet messaging and they've both said I have to wait until after the test case. I was charged £34 for "Failed Bill Payment Charge" for money being just one day late going into my monthly saver, this was the first month as well. Then I got a £25 charge for "Unauthorised Overdraft Charge" because of the initial charge they'd withdrawn from my account. Not realising that i'd get the 2nd overdraft charge, I had only just cleared the money from my current account so when the £25 charge was applied, I am now probably going to get charged again for not having money in when the £25 was taken out. This means i've been charged £34+£25+£25 = £84 just for missing a standing order by one day!

So I'm guessing that i'm going to have to wait until the test case is finished or the waiver finishes in July 2008 until I can complain for this?

Ridiculous.
  • gill3478
    Options
    I have had a hearing at the court against Alliance and Leicester. They had not complied with the original instructions set by the court as they had applied for the case to be stayed. I won as the judge struck it out as Alliance & Leicester had not done what was asked.
    However they appealed and i am now going back to court in December - i have to provide the court with a statement - PLEASE HELP, DONT KNOW WHAT TO WRITE
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gill3478 wrote: »
    However they appealed and i am now going back to court in December - i have to provide the court with a statement - PLEASE HELP, DONT KNOW WHAT TO WRITE

Do you know what do they want a statement about?
  • vanessa123
    Options
    :mad: we have a situation with alliance and leicester that i thought people should be aware of.....................
    recently we had a charge of £25 added to our alliance and leicester current account because we apparently went over our overdraft limit.
    i was aware that we were close and that a direct debit was due out so i went to my bank and drew £100 cash from my other account and paid it in to the alliance and leicester account straight away. the cash showed on the account immediately and brought us within the limit of the overdraft even with the direct debit taken into account.
    when i checked the account a few days later the charge was there and so was the d/d for the same day as the cash was paid in.
    all my other experiences with banks including a business account lets you pay cash in on the same day to cover the debit and as long as the balance is in credit by about 2pm there will be no charge, but this was not the case.
    we complained loudly but alliance and leicester say that the direct debit would have come out of the account at 3am approx (yes, automated) and at that point there was not enough in to pay it.
    they are also quoting the fact that they cannot return the £25 fee as all the refunds of bank charges are on hold until the test case is finalised, how petty is this.......????? i can't believe they are using it to their own advantage but i'm sure the idea is to hang on to as much cash as possible and accrue interest so they do not feel the pinch as much when the test case is complete.
    thought you might like to know and if anyone has any advice please let me know.
    just to clarify

d/d taken out 03.00
    cash paid in 11.00 same day
    charged £25

***expletive***
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They all have their own rules - I know that Lloyds TSB will be OK as long as you pay the cash in by 3:30pm.

You may find that the charge refund is a discretionary thing, and talking to a different adviser may help. In some banks, they have a policy of refunding genuine one-off charges to people with otherwise good account histories, but it is case-by-case so one adviser will be more helpful than another.

The test case shouldn't have any relevance - this is about ethical treatment of a loyal customer who went out of their way to ensure good account management, but who was unlucky in their exact timing.

Try calling them up and pushing it again - your story sounds very genuine to me and it clearly isn't fair (even though they're technically correct), so as long as you're polite and insistent I think you should get this back.

Let us know how you get on!
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family