Alliance & Leicester (merged)

Options

Comments

• PixieFace
    Options
    I had a standing order unpaid by by (new) Alliance and Leicester Premier Direct Current Account yesterday. They charged me £34 for the privilege. I rang up today to find out why the SO failed, as my online statement showed that there was enough in there, but because I had a DD due out that day too, I would have been pushed over my overdraft limit. So, they failed the SO in order to pay the DD and not push me over my limit, but then charged me £34. I told the woman on the phone that this was unlawful and I wasn't happy about it, and she responded that the whole unlafwul bank charges things is 'referring to credit card fees only and not current account charges.'

I had hoped that changing my account to a better one, would be a kind of new start for me, but it all seems to have gone awry.
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm afraid this lady is typical of the ill informed customer service staff in many banks. If you have her name, maybe you could contact her after you've reclaimed your money?
  • bolo
    bolo Posts: 919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi :)

My mother has managed to incur an overdraft charge of £25 plus an extra two overdraft charges (2 x £25) for going over the limit due to not transferring enough money in from an A&L savings account in time. And 8p in interest charges.

So, that's £75.08, for going £38 overdrawn :confused:

Anyway, she's given them a call and they've refunded half of one of the charges but I'm not happy about this, they have taken advantage of her and I'm planning on using Martin's amazing new article to get back her money. We are not an affluent family by any means and can not afford this.

I'm currently using the template off the article to get her charges back, but has anyone dealt with A&L before? I've done a search and not yielded much so if anyone can help we'll be very grateful. Are they good at giving all the money back or do they whimper and squeal before giving a decent reply?

Thank you in advance :)

Same thing happened to my mother. I have written the letter and will sned it off. Hopefully they will just pay up, but i will not be happy if i have to go through a small claims court. Is it worth it for £75? I spoke to a woman in a A&L branch and she says oh its in the T&Cs. I said no your charges are unlawful because it does not cost A&L £75 to send an automated letter!
    If i have helped, use the thanks button!
  • Morganacelt
    Options
    A quick update on my 25th Nov posting re the A&L. Reply received today - "charges raised in accordance with the charging policy" and even "charges are reasonable and competitive compared to the industry" etc etc - in other words NO REFUND. (I might add that one of the telebank assistants was going to refund £17 as a "gesture of goodwill" the other day - possibly prior to letter being received, however, this has obviously been over ruled after consideration of my letter). :mad:
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A quick update on my 25th Nov posting re the A&L. Reply received today - "charges raised in accordance with the charging policy" and even "charges are reasonable and competitive compared to the industry" etc etc - in other words NO REFUND. (I might add that one of the telebank assistants was going to refund £17 as a "gesture of goodwill" the other day - possibly prior to letter being received, however, this has obviously been over ruled after consideration of my letter). :mad:

Thats an average type of response (sort of).......... This is even better though, they are admitting that the whole industry are charging the same unlawful amounts. I see they never mentioned that their charges comply with contract and common law (this is where you've got them, because they don't).

Just carry onto the next stage. Now send the next letter threatening court action, or issue your court claim if that was the last letter you sent.

Good luck, and keep on with this. You've got the law on your side (and they know it).
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • wills7
    wills7 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    A&l said they were going to defend my claim 15 days ago. Do i have to wait 28 days before i can do anything as i've not heard anything from them or the court or can i do something now?
  • Basil_Fawlty
    Basil_Fawlty Posts: 1,531 Forumite
    Options
    They will say that because it then gives them 28 days to come forwrad, but they won't because they don't want to expose their cost structires apparenytl :confused: so don't worry, if you don't hear after 28 days, go straight to the small claims court and ask for a win by default, I think it's called :o

On a different note, what happens to the credit histories of people with Overdrafts (unauthorised) and is there a way to get the blemishes removed from an otherwise perfect record? :confused:
    spacey :)
  • thisbee_81
    Options
    A&L are still making unfair charges on my current account and are refusing to refund these. Has anyone had any joy with them?
    stay lucky!
    Steve.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    When you say they are refusing to refund them have you gone through the legal stages?
  • Money_Mad_3
    Options
    Has anyone successfully reclaimed charges against A & L.

I have a current a/c with them just looked at my statement online and they have charged £25.00 plus interest of 1p as I had overdrawn on my account.
    for 1 day. I telephone confirming that I hadn't overdrawn but whats happened is I withdraw money from my a/c on the 15th and a cheque came in on the 16th and my money went in on the 17th. I complained about this as there is no overdraft facility on this account so the money wouldn't have been paid to me.

I asked for 6 years charges for £10, I had to ask for this 3 times from the woman at the call centre who told me that I was not guaranteed a refund of charges. I am curious as to what I have been charged over the 6 years. Also as I am disputed the £25 for 1 day when I went overdrawn £23.95 this would be passed to the relevant department.

I was told that they had refund charges as a gesture of goodwill over the year. This was because they had paid two direct debits to the same person when they shouldn't have done and the other was when they charged me £25.00 on the day I had money put into my account.

What figure would you say is worth claiming for and when looking on the sites the A & L seems to be the best current accounts but as my husand's credit report isn't great I am penalised so no overdraft facility will be put on my account I have been with them for 14 years. Any Advice Please:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure