Alliance & Leicester (merged)

Options

Comments

• gingerjasper
    Options
    I am just about to try to reclaim my bank charges from A&L, it's not much, around £150, but I still think it's worth a try as I'm with a different bank now and not getting charged for petty things any more and would love to have that money back!

Anyway, my question is, one of my charges was £34 for a bounced direct debit, I managed to get them to give me half (£17) back at the time as it was my first charge - should I show this charge as £34 or £17 on my charges list. I suppose if I'm being fair I was only charged £17, but just wondered if there is any rule about this.

Thanks
    Debt Arrangement Scheme - started 1 December 2008 at £34200. Now £30442, 81 months to go!
  • bolo
    bolo Posts: 919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WEll what a surprise. A&L have replied saying the charges are lawful. I guess i will have to file a claim.

Here are the steps i have taken.

Didn't bother with the DPA step, as the account have only been open for 8 months.

1) Sent a letter asking for a full refund.

Got a reply fro A&L saying charges are legal, given a £25 refund.

2) Sent a letter threatening court action

Got a reply saying A&L have done nothing unlawful and that is the end of the matter as they see it. Blah blah competitve in the industry etc....

But, as has already pointed out, surely the costs for a small claims will be higher than the £50 i am trying to get back. Will A&L definitely have to pay costs if it goes that far? I don't want to have to pay hundred's of pounds just to get 50 back!!!!
    If i have helped, use the thanks button!
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyway, my question is, one of my charges was £34 for a bounced direct debit, I managed to get them to give me half (£17) back at the time as it was my first charge - should I show this charge as £34 or £17 on my charges list. I suppose if I'm being fair I was only charged £17, but just wondered if there is any rule about this.
    You have already been paid back for half of one of your charges, so you have no right (morally or legally) to claim for this again.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • bolo
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote:
    You have already been paid back for half of one of your charges, so you have no right (morally or legally) to claim for this again.

??? i have been given back £25 of a £75 charge....thats why i say i am claiming for £50 now....
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bolo wrote:
    But, as has already pointed out, surely the costs for a small claims will be higher than the £50 i am trying to get back. Will A&L definitely have to pay costs if it goes that far? I don't want to have to pay hundred's of pounds just to get 50 back!!!!

The court fee for a claim of £50 is £30. You would add this to your claim if you issued a court claim, so the total you would be claiming for is £50 charges+£30 court fee+interest (if you want to bother, it works out at 1 penny a day since they charged you).

The other post was answering someone elses question.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • bolo
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote:
    The court fee for a claim of £50 is £30. You would add this to your claim if you issued a court claim, so the total you would be claiming for is £50 charges+£30 court fee+interest (if you want to bother, it works out at 1 penny a day since they charged you).

The other post was answering someone elses question.

oh i see. merging of threads confusing me!

Thanks for the info
  • fragglepants
    Options
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!

I have literally just put the phone down from A&L, I think the Christmas spirit has got to them - they are going to refund ALL my charges!!!!!!!

Can't believe it - I am just going to wait to get it black and white to make sure its' true!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE!
  • bolo
    Options
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!

I have literally just put the phone down from A&L, I think the Christmas spirit has got to them - they are going to refund ALL my charges!!!!!!!

Can't believe it - I am just going to wait to get it black and white to make sure its' true!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE!

Did you call them? what did you say to them. I might just give them a ring. Although the problem is this is my mother's account and not mine, so i can't speak on her behalf....
  • gingerjasper
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote:

Thanks, I presumed that was the case, but what I need to know now is how to show it on my charges list. i.e. should I show £34 charge then £17 refund or just a £17 charge?
    Debt Arrangement Scheme - started 1 December 2008 at £34200. Now £30442, 81 months to go!
  • fragglepants
    Options
    No they called me - I was a little abrupt at first (I know the advice is not to talk to anyone) so I immediately asked if they would write to me - they said they would but continued. I said that I would not make any comment, they said that was OK then gave me the good news saying that they had received my letter and they were going to refund my charges - lets see what they mean in the letter - particularly as I don't know what they wanted to charge me and why! (thats what I had been asking!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure