PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stop watching those TV ads and gain an hour a week !

Options
Primrose
Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 15 February 2011 at 4:30PM in Old style MoneySaving
Triggered by another thread where somebody was bewailing the pressure on their time, I was reflecting how much dead time per week many of us unconsciously waste when the TV adverts come on.

How about helping ourselves to be better organised and sharing all those small household tasks we could get on top of during those short breaks which might help us feel we're more organised?

Some of mine:

1. Doing a few 'keep fit' exercises.
2. Emptying the laundry basket and throwing it into the washing
machine.
3. Dusting a couple of furniture items near the TV.
4. Cleaning out the gunge from the bottom of the toothbrush mug !
(might need a whole TV programme if I've left it for a while !)
5. Sloshing some disinfectant down the sink or the loo.
6. Putting some items outside into one of the Recycling Boxes
7. Emptying the kitchen compost crock onto the compost heap.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2011 at 6:00PM
    Options
    What a fab idea! I am still on analog TV channels (no pausing live tv here!) so I could definitely use something to do in the ad breaks (especially to distract from the food ones that make me hungry!). I don't as a rule do housework in the evenings as that's my time off but a few minutes wouldn't hurt!

Could set yourself little challenges to see how many things you can pick up off the floor during the break.
    Find school uniforms for the next day.
    Prep nappies for the next day (if using washables)
    Wipe dining table.
    Fluff cushions...
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • kitschy
    kitschy Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    Primrose, I'm so glad I'm not the only one doing this! :D

I challenge myself to do things in the space of a break, like cleaning the sinks, wiping the worktops, and other small cleaning jobs like taking things from the wrong room to the right room.

And if I'm feeling motivated, sit-ups!

It's amazing how much you can get done, and it's much easier to do things in short little bursts as it doesn't seem like as much of a chore. I also work full time, and have another job a few nights a week, and this really works for me.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    How about stop watching TV altogether [or just watch specific programmes that you REALLY REALLY want to watch] - it gives you a new lease of life.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    How about giving up MSE. I find a few hours less can help me get a whole lot done. :p
  • kymbogs
    kymbogs Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    How about stop watching TV altogether [or just watch specific programmes that you REALLY REALLY want to watch] - it gives you a new lease of life.

Totally agree! We very rarely have the tv on unless it is to watch something specific, which is usually on catch-up or dvd so no ads.
    :heartpulsSpoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!:heartpuls

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
  • salster
    salster Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    I've trying to do bits in the adverts for the last few years. It's amazing what you can get done :)
    Aiming to be Debt free by October 2013 :D
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i generally giv emyself a task in the advert's, i'll unload dishwasher, refill it, make lunc boxes, hoover, take bins out, wash and dry hair then can straighteb while watching, etc etc.

but one thing i do like doing is when the prog starts i hit the pause button on sky , and spend 15 mins say doing quick little job's. so when i dod sit down i can just wizz past the advert's.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I only watch DVDs or things that I really want to watch. I don't just sit down and watch an evening of telly irrespective of what's on. If I am watching telly I usually knit or do mending at the same time as I simply can't sit with empty hands. Advert breaks? I either put the kettle on or check my email I'm afraid. The dust can wait another year.
    Val.
  • Pink_Giraffe
    Options
    We very rarely watch TV and when we do we hardly ever watch when it's on - usually recorded or we have seasons of specific things on DVD. A lot of mine and OH's colleagues find it odd that we have time to do so many things but that is the reason!

My mum watches a lot of TV - going to suggest the ad break challenge to her - she has been ill and shouldn't do much at once so probably a good thing for her to try!
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely! I don't watch much tv and only on iplayer/4od but while stuff is loading/titles/adverts I wash up or do a quick tidy :D I just can't stand sitting there!
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport