Credit searches by Aviva Central Services

Options

Comments

• AMG762
    AMG762 Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    Very unlikely that Barclays would even see insurance quotation searches, let alone use them to calculate creditworthiness. This would go against industry guidelines.

James Jones

Thanks for your reply, i have been told this several times before.

It could have been the full credit search completed by aviva, or the 6 other insurance quotation searches or a combination of both.

These searches mean a full credit search would need to be completed by Barclays for any further loan application. Where as before they were pre-approved.

Either way these companies have searched my personal information without my consent, (i have unsubscribed from moneysupermarket) which im sure is not in your company guidelines either?
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm wondering whether there is a way of using comparison websites without parasites making 'credit' searches where no credit is involved.

I thought of using an invented name - address and d.o.b are important qualifiers so shouldn't be amended. Such a name wouldn't appear on voters lists, of course.

Would that allow quotations without fictitious 'credit' searches or would the request fail?

Grateful for your thoughts.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very unlikely that Barclays would even see insurance quotation searches, let alone use them to calculate creditworthiness. This would go against industry guidelines.

James Jones

Yes but Aviva's suggestion is that the search isn't for insurance quotation purposes but establishing how much interest to charge on monthly payments / whether to offer monthly payments for the payment of the premium. - i.e. a credit search for the purpose of a loan to cover the premium.

This is why the searches show (Credit) next to the Search Reason

This is bang out of order and as you say - against industry guidelines - when at this point the customer hasn't asked for monthly payments or a quote pertaining to such. Most people pay their insurance in full anyway given how little it can be (e.g. my home contents was only £110 for the last year)

I hope they remove them for everyone concerned (including myself) and adjust the search reason to (Quotation) moving forwards post haste otherwise their gonna have a class action lawsuit on their hands.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • Moradin
    Options
    otherwise their gonna have a class action lawsuit on their hands.

afaik, no such thing can occur in the uk.

agree though that they shouldn't be able to access your credit file unless you ask them / give permission and its needed.
  • lawstudent
    lawstudent Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moradin wrote: »
    afaik, no such thing can occur in the uk.

You are correct but you can get a group litigation order which is similar.
    Graduated 16 July 2013 with First Class Honours :j
    House Deposit: £6,493.10 - Cashback Total: £447.67
  • Roger1
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I'm wondering whether there is a way of using comparison websites without parasites making 'credit' searches where no credit is involved.

I thought of using an invented name ...

Would that allow quotations without fictitious 'credit' searches or would the request fail?
    Has anybody thoughts on this?

Thanks.
  • zfr
    zfr Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2012 at 8:51AM
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »

I thought of using an invented name - address and d.o.b are important qualifiers so shouldn't be amended. Such a name wouldn't appear on voters lists, of course.

Grateful for your thoughts.

I tried this recently and managed to obtain quotations.

I used a random name and manually entered an address that doesn't exist (same street name and postcode - but a very high door number). All my other data was entered correctly (i.e. my DOB, car details, claims history etc).

However, I suspect the quotes aren't very accurate - as they appeared a little high.
  • Roger1
    Options
    Thanks, zfr. Useful info!
  • Msharif
    Msharif Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I just wanted to update you all as I have had these searches made on my credit report.

I did get the ombudsmen involved and they made a complaint on my behalf to Aviva Insurance Limited.

They have Agreed to remove 4 searches out of 7 from my credit report (which I have checked) and no further searches will be made using any of my contact details.

I have also unsubscribed from confused.com, money supermarket.com, comparethemarket.com, uswitch.com and the most annoying gocompare.com :D and no longer receive any junk mail from them. Isn't that great:T

I will Use Zfr trick when using a price comparison website to obtain quotes. Nice one Zfr.

Hope everything gets resolved for you guys. Just remember don't give up or they will get away with it.

Msharif
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Msharif wrote: »
    They have Agreed to remove 4 searches out of 7 from my credit report (which I have checked) and no further searches will be made using any of my contact details.
    On what grounds did they remove 4 of the 7?
    On what grounds did they not remove the other 3?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure