Credit searches by Aviva Central Services

Options

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    How can Aviva be stopped from making these credit searches which blight the credit files of many a consumer?
    They've agreed to stop.
    See three posts above yours.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, they've said they won't.
    In his/her latest message, he/she says they will make a quotation search visible to others.

I see no reason whatsoever why using a comparison website should lead to Aviva making any kind of recorded search.
    The company rep said a credit search would only be done on someone wanting to pay monthly. That is buying on credit. So that should be fine.
    Indeed. I hope it works and that there is a specific point where payment in full can be made without a credit search.

To my knowledge I have never been a customer of Aviva or its predecessors, let alone a credit customer. I have too many Aviva searches in my files. It would be proactively beneficial if Aviva arranged for those to be deleted. It would be stupid if we have to wait six years for them to fall off the shelf.
  • Roger1
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    In his/her latest message, he/she says they will make a quotation search visible to others.

I see no reason whatsoever why using a comparison website should lead to Aviva making any kind of recorded search. ...

To my knowledge I have never been a customer of Aviva or its predecessors, let alone a credit customer. I have too many Aviva searches in my files. It would be proactively beneficial if Aviva arranged for those to be deleted. It would be stupid if we have to wait six years for them to fall off the shelf.
    They're still at it!

Aviva is one of four new searches in my credit file, all dated today. At least I have heard of Aviva even if I've never knowingly been a customer. The other three are totally new to me. Where did they crawl from? Certainly not from any comparison website as I haven't used those since I became aware of this nonsense.
    Noddle wrote:
    Aviva Central Services Limited
    Aviva Central Services
    Quotation Search
    21/08/2012

Bgl Group Limited (Cr)
    Bgl Group Limited Api
    General Insurance
    21/08/2012

Insurance Initiatives Limited (Iq)
    Insurance Price Comparison Site / Broker (Via Iil)
    General Insurance
    21/08/2012

Lexisnexis Risk Solutions Uk Limited
    Price Comparison Site/Broker (Via Lexisnexis)
    General Insurance
    21/08/2012
  • JimmyTheWig
    Options
    Aviva is one of four new searches in my credit file, all dated today.
    None of them are credit searches, however, so won't (shouldn't?) affect you.
  • Roger1
    Options
    I don't want them. I didn't authorise them. So yes, they do affect me. ;)
  • GooliesOfFire
    GooliesOfFire Posts: 385 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2012 at 11:40AM
    Options
    I don't like those searches whether they affect my credit rating or not.. they just make my file a mess.. I give real details only to the insurers directly when I pay for insurance.
  • Romans
    Options
    I have too many Aviva searches in my files. It would be proactively beneficial if Aviva arranged for those to be deleted. It would be stupid if we have to wait six years for them to fall off the shelf.

Roger, any kind of search stays on your file for 1 year only! With the exception of Callcredit, which is 2 years, which is much shorter than 6 years anyway! ;)
  • Jessii1990
    Options
    I have recently found one of these searches on my credit report! I had no idea what this was and when googled this was the first result found.

I've read the full thread with interest and wondered if someone could answer a question for me as I've not yet found the answer. With the search that's showing on my report it states it was for a quotation search. However i have never used any any comparison sites EVER. I've never needed to use them as i don't drive so don't need insurance, my home insurance was covered through rent and never needed to compare anything else at all.

So my question is as i don't use comparison sites (and that seems to be where most people's searches are coming from) where and why would these searches be made? I have emailed aviva and also reported it to my CRA but both state it can take a up to 28days for a reply. I really would like to know where they have come from!

Any one know of any other places this may have come from???
  • JimmyTheWig
    Options
    Jessii1990 wrote: »
    With the search that's showing on my report it states it was for a quotation search.
    Which means, technically, it isn't one of the searches that this thread is talking about. A quotation search won't be used by other companies when deciding whether to give you credit or not.

But even so I'd be concerned about where it came from if I hadn't initiated it.

i have never used any any comparison sites EVER. I've never needed to use them
    Any one know of any other places this may have come from???
    My only guess is something like mobile phone insurance - possibly applied for (or at least quoted for) in a shop?
  • Jessii1990
    Options
    Which means, technically, it isn't one of the searches that this thread is talking about. A quotation search won't be used by other companies when deciding whether to give you credit or not.

But even so I'd be concerned about where it came from if I hadn't initiated it.

My only guess is something like mobile phone insurance - possibly applied for (or at least quoted for) in a shop?

Thank you for your reply, im glad it wont be used against me at all as my partner and i are looking to potentially apply for a mortgage this year and would hate for anything to go against me!

See thats the strange thing i havent even asked for any insurance on my phone as it's covered with my Halifax current account. Hopefully ill get as reply soon from the company and they can let me know what its supposed to be for!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure