47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying?

Options

Comments

• Scubydoo_2
    Scubydoo_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 July 2012 at 5:40PM
    Options
    Does anyone have a supplier in East Lancashire at a decent price please? I am willing to travel a reasonable distance to pick up. Though not so far, obviously, that it defeats the object
  • Wetherfield
    Options
    Just purchased a 47kg bottle for our static caravan at £59.95 up from £56.21 in May. Gas prices coming down?? Why the 6% increase? Captured audience. Can anyone let me knw the market price for calor gas over the past 6 months?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £82.50 collected from stockist near Aviemore yesterday.
  • jeff_mcf
    jeff_mcf Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Bought this week and we've been paying £59.75 with Flogas in South Bucks since the hike on March 12th.

Obviously they are not passing on savings and still quoting the 'purchased in advance when the prices were high' argument.

Whole market is a rip-off. Wish we had BP near by to at least inject a bit of competition but we don't even have local small suppliers near us.
  • chris1973
    chris1973 Posts: 965 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2012 at 6:13PM
    Options
    Costs us approx £300 per month to heat a 2 bed flat during the cold spell
    If that is an accurate consumption figure, then you'd be much better off keeping the heating OFF and buying a few cheap Electric Heaters, only heating the rooms you use AND getting yourself on the best Electric Tariff for your area.

When renting similar sized properties, with a little planning and careful use, i've never paid more than £150 - £200 a month during Winter on Electricity - and I like to be warm. There is the potential here for you to save £100 to £150 a month based on your own £300 / month figures when compared to LPG. All for a little legwork and a trip to Argos!.
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July 2012 at 8:41PM
    Options
    Just purchased a 47kg bottle for our static caravan at £59.95 up from £56.21 in May. Gas prices coming down?? Why the 6% increase? Captured audience. Can anyone let me knw the market price for calor gas over the past 6 months?

Graphs showing wholesale prices in pence per litre (ppl) are posted regularly on the Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? sticky, as also show below. The prices come from the indices used by industry (Platts North West Europe and Argus North Sea Index). All the prices for petrochemicals, crude, etc are in US dollars, and these have been converted into sterling. The graphs also show the price for bulk LPG from Extra Fuel (in Manchester, and nationally) and Cardiff Gas, both of which post their prices on-line. Cardiff Gas also post the price of their cylinders and autogas.

You can also find the daily price of propane from Bloomberg (here), but this is in dollars. After the peak in Feb/March there was a long fall but this has reversed since late June (this doesn't show on the graphs below).

lpg_price_info.php

Hope this helps! Maybe someone in the industry will explain how individual firms price their cylinders? Castleford Tiger has put up four useful posts (here, here, here and here).
  • solar_power
    Options
    Still holding at £58.11 per 47kg cylinder here in mid Wales,
    supplied by Countrywide.
  • Dave_6726
    Options
    £54.96 in Newcastle.
    A few weeks ago, there was a fall in the price of crude, noticeable because here there was a minor drop in petrol prices, which I think is still hanging on.
    The feeble excuse, that it's the propane production capacity which is not able (in this country) to keep up with demand, is just that, a feeble excuse. At this time of the year (despite the disgusting summer) demand falls, so why doesn't the price?

Customers ripped off again to pay for the fat cats' bonuses.
  • The_Landlord
    Options
    If any of you live within the King's Lynn, Wisbech, Long Sutton areas, try these guys for your propane. Terrington Gas & Fuels, "gas-n-fuels " :TThey have just opened up in my village and they have really shaken the competition up in this rural area. I got a leaflet yesterday. Gas had crept up to almost £70 here for 47kg. These guys have stopped all that! They ask you to register as a user and put in your average usage so they know what stock to order and keep the prices low. I have just bought 10 x 47kg bottles at £48 ea!! including VAT. (I claim that back!!) This is not a 'special price' for me it is their published registered users prices! As a landlord I have some properties in a rural locations some of which are on oil and some on propane. I find that if I negotiate the prices on behalf of the tenants for their Oil supplies, I can get it for 6p to 8p a lt cheaper than the tenants can because I know how to negotiate prices down; But that has been impossible with propane, until now. When I registered and got the prices from them for 47kg I rang around all the gas suppliers to see if I could drive the price down further. 5 were still over £60 but one who only last month charged me £62 dropped to 'match' TG&F price when I told them what I was offered, before I mentioned that they quoted me £56 so they were quite prepared to rip me off £8 extra a bottle and then when they thought they would loose the business they dropped to £48 - Needless to say, I didn't buy from them as I felt I'd been ripped off by them for the last 3 yrs!!! As Terrington Gas and Fuels don't solely rely on gas sales but are developing a site encouraging different service businesses, they seem to have taken a long term 'keep your customer with fair prices' approach which is refreshing. I use bulk Propane in my own home (1 Ton static tank) so I don't need bottles for my own home. I negotiate this bulk supply hard every year because, in case you don't know, you are no longer tied to the bulk tank provider. However, they act as if you are in the first instance and then when they realise you know 'what's what' and tell them you will be phoning around for lower prices, suddenly they drop prices!! I also have live fires as 'focal points' so use Logs and smokeless fuels and a lot of Charcoal in the summer ( not so much this summer, obviously) :) and their prices for these are around 20% less than the garage forecourt and on par with buying by the ton from a coal merchant but without having to buy or store so much! A welcome addition to the local area. Good luck to you all in your quest. Why not drop a line to Terrington Gas.& Fuels. They well may want to back your quest for regulating the rip off merchants. You can find them under the flogas stockists just enter a PE34 post code to search for bottled gas suppliers.
  • LittleVermin
    Options
    ..... I use bulk Propane in my own home (1 Ton static tank) so I don't need bottles for my own home. I negotiate this bulk supply hard every year because, in case you don't know, you are no longer tied to the bulk tank provider. However, they act as if you are in the first instance and then when they realise you know 'what's what' and tell them you will be phoning around for lower prices, suddenly they drop prices!!

Thanks for the info.

I presume you own your bulk LPG tank? If the supplier owns it you are tied into them filling it. Surely? On a maximum of 2 yr contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure