PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• miecherox
    miecherox Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options
    Made a Roast Chicken dinner today - so far it has fed 4 of us, I've stripped the carcass and put it in my ancient pressure cooker with some veg peelings and black peppercorns, hoping to get some nice stock off it - will drain it then add some tinned tomatoes and the left over roast veg and whizz it up. I've never done this after a roast before so I am a little apprehensive. I've also saved the chicken back to freeze to make a chicken pie for next weeks meal plan..... I am on fire!!!!!
    #118 DFW Debt freely Christmas 2012 Challenge
  • Pinwheel
    Pinwheel Posts: 90 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone

Just updated signature, a couple more small spends today £2.17 in lidl on pears, onions and carrots and £5.62 in Sainsburys on yoghurts for lunchboxes and more fruit, yoghurts were on offer so I bought enough for this week and next. I did beef in the slow cooker for the first time today and was told it was lovely (I had vege sausages!) also did some very successful yorkshire puddings which went down well with the children. All the meals are planned for next week and I shouldn't need to buy anything, famous last words!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    PWx
    June 2022 GC £372.89/£400
    May 2022 GC £439.33/£400

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Nick - Dinners sound very nice, as do the lunches:) Personally, if I cooked Chicken or Turkey on a Monday, I would use it up to and including Wednesday. I'm not saying you can't use it on Thursday, but I wouldn't. That is just MHO though :D

Thanks. I was worried about leaving poultry for so long as well. Tomorrow and Tuesday I'll have a burger for lunch (healthy, healthy! :D), and Wednesday and Thursday I'll have a portion of quiche with some salad. The freezer has FINALLY defrosted today so I'll put the remainder of the turkey joint in the freezer which doesn't get used up tomorrow night...

My next spend will have to be some freezer bags and some sticky labels. I'll cut the quiche into quarters and slice the turkey into slices + label them. Will just need to buy salad stuff the next few weeks for lunches and I'm sorted!

Does anyone know what I should so with the defrosted wine? It will be used for cooking in stews, so it won't make TOO much of a difference if I froze it again will it?
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    about to update sig, shopped at mrM on friday and nipped in tesco on saturday morning.

made some cookies this afternoon and got dough in the bm for rolls for packup
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    another £4.85 for me today, all 3 of my boys are sick so we took them for a drive and once they calmed down we relised we were starving so stopped in m&s for sandwichs which is a rip off for 2 sandwichs really :o
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Had to go to Costco today and MrT and Co=Op so need to update siggy with a rough amount as trying to add it up in my very overfilled tiny brain!!

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Missus_Aka
    Missus_Aka Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February 2011 at 9:54PM
    Options
    No NSD today but none was spent on groceries as i just couldnt be bothered to stop...too tired, though my mum gave me my saffron for free as she didnt need it so at least one thing down.......

Have had a hell of a day, had a headache that made my eyes water, my leg was killing even though i was sitting down (hope physio works & STARTS SOON) and then i got told i was rude by customer because i told him tools were non returnable unless faulty (it was a soldering iron, solder and a solder station) he said that was unfair as he wanted to fix his motherboard and if soldering the connection didnt work he should be able to return it. Explained why we cannot returned used goods (would you buy used tools from a retail store?), was then told i was a woman and didnt know anything & to get the manager. He told the manager i was rude and that i said 'buy it or leave' (which i didnt) but couldnt repeat anything TRUE i said which was in anyway rude or impolite, proceeded to tell me he was a man and i should look at him when talking to him at all times......manager sided with me as there were many staff who heard the whole conversation and to be honest everyone said what a ****@er he was to me.....WHY ARE THERE PEOPLE LIKE THIS??????

*****Rant Over***** lol
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • Gorgeestwo
    Options
    Spent £5.20 today that I wasn't expecting to, was hoping it was going to be a NSD, Oh well, tomorrow is another day :D
  • PennyGrabber
    Options
    NSD today. Tried to order stuff from AP, but have forgotten my user name, so couldn't do it! That's £35 still in my pocket, but it was over £100 worth of food, that I would've used over the next few months. Grr.

Feel quite virtuous today - had mum visiting, so last night I made a cheesecake and some ginger biscuits (not as nice as I'd hoped, but still going to be eaten!!), then we did hm pizzas for lunch, with mac cheese for dinner. My children were really good, and ate ALL of their dinner (this happens very rarely), so I didn't feel I was throwing away perfectly good food. May be something to do with the fact that I'm consciously giving them less but telling them they can have 2nds if they want it. There was leftover mac cheese today, which they'll have for dinner tomorrow, with some meat of some form or other to make it different from today. Bonus - no cooking needed tom!

Fedupandskint, I loved your post - ROFL!! "Also looked up a couple of recipes incase there is some leftover pork and custard" I can just imagine a recipe involving pork and custard! Yummy!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • mummyjane
    Options
    Another NSD for me today, although tomorrow I have a weekly shop coming from Sainsbugs. I am still amazed at what a difference meal planning makes. I think I have cut my weekly shop down by about a third just by sticking to the meal plan/lists. I Just have to stick with it now. Hope everyones had a good day :)
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport