Walkers crisps ripoff

Options
For years on end Walkers has dominated the crisps market. However, I don't understand how.

For starters, their crisps don't tastes very nice, and not only that, you barely get any in a pack (you'd be lucky to get half a pack full on any flavour other than Ready Salted.

I know that I've had some cheap brand crisps that are puke worthy, but Walkers crisps are not far from that.

So, upon trying round, I've found several, slightly more expensive, but far higher in quality brands should be more popular than Walkers. McCoys, Seabrook and Kettle.

Can anyone explain to me why one of the worst brands, is the most popular? And which brand(s) do you prefer?

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I very rarely eat crisps, but did try some Seabrook ones a while ago. They were awful, I figured they were probably some sort of 'value' brand.
    Stompa
  • glitter03
    Options
    I like McCoys. I prefer crisps that are really crunchy so usually go for the crinkle cut type :)
    :coffee:
  • triticale
    Options
    Walkers took over the best crisps manufacturer, Smiths.

Squares have never tasted the same since. :(
  • margy
    margy Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    used to love tudor crisps and chipmonk oxo flavoured were the tastiest ever both sadley no longer with us
  • marcowil
    marcowil Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How is this a rip-off? If you dont like Walkers crisps dont buy them
    The Daily Mail
    Tagline - "Why let the truth get in the way of a story to incense Middle England"
  • BargainGalore
    Options
    Seabrooks are the best
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never heard of Seabrook. McCoys too (tooth breakingly) crunchy, Kettle too expensive.

Walkers are fine for ready salted.

All so called flavours of any brand are unbelievably foul and synthetic - the more 'exotic' the worse so
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I love Seabrooks too but just look at the calorie/fat content! So I usually buy Aldi own reduced fat Cheese and Onion crisps and also their Cheese Curls, which I am slowly getting addicted to!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • wyebird
    wyebird Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    :) Red Sky or Tyrrells
  • Geordie_bear
    Options
    I completly agree here, Walkers basically have the monopoly yet their crisps are rather average. I was always a Golden Wonder man myself but you hardly ever see them. Other good crisps are McCoys, Seabrooks & Real crisps. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure