A little nerdy....my 1st year of MSE....

Options
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I have (very sadly...as in nerd sad not boo hoo sad) been keeping a spreadsheet of all the times I've saved money, got freebies, got money for nothing (cashback + vouchers etc) over the last year and have been quite astounded by the totals.

I started using MSE regularly from Oct 05, so from then til end Sep 06 here's what I've achieved...

TOTAL CASHBACK EARNED (QUIDCO/GREASYPALM/FREEFIVERS): £1553

TOTAL COST OF FREEBIES IF I'D BOUGHT THEM: £925 (WOW!)

TOTAL TESCO R&R: £182 (haven't done this for last 4 months)

ITEMS BOUGHT WHERE SAVINGS MADE: paid £257 but should have cost £708, therefore saving £450 (using discount codes etc)

CAR INSURANCE: SAVED £116

HOME INSURANCE: SAVED £101

HOME TELEPHONE: SAVED £48

LIFE ASSURANCE: SAVED £52

Hope this is inspirational to any newcomers, it's amazing what can be achieved. HUGE thanks to all MSErs posting great stuff which I have benefitted from and to Martin of course, whose website is pure genius and I'm so grateful to have discovered it.

:T :T :T
Quidco ~ £3,718 | Greasypalm ~ £354 | Freefivers ~ £45 | Pigsback ~ £260 shopping vouchers + 15 CDs
Total cashback / freebies / money-saving: 2006 ~ £3,961 | 2007 ~ 3,610 | 2008 ~ £4,159 | 2009 ~ £1,449

MFD ~ [strike]Sep 2023[/strike] Oct 2010

Comments

• Spud_2
    Spud_2 Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    MODS - any chance this could be moved to the forum 'how much have you saved' - probably more appropriate.....sorry!
    Quidco ~ £3,718 | Greasypalm ~ £354 | Freefivers ~ £45 | Pigsback ~ £260 shopping vouchers + 15 CDs
    Total cashback / freebies / money-saving: 2006 ~ £3,961 | 2007 ~ 3,610 | 2008 ~ £4,159 | 2009 ~ £1,449

• Nobjocki
    Nobjocki Posts: 947 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Martin ... come on over to Martin is online at the moment in the MoneySavers Arms you old tart.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]. :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a spreadsheet too and it is great because I can see debts shrinking slowly but surely that way - it is a great motivator, and well done! :beer:
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Spud_2
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote:
    Well done Spud :)

Got a thanks from Martin as well ;)

To be honest a little envious of your detailed accounts and dedication to different ways of saving/making money :)

Thanks! And very nice of Martin to acknowledge my post!

As an aside, as most will know the biggest saving is often looking at your mortgage. I didn't mention this as we tend to review and remortgage every couple of years anyway.

• babes21
    babes21 Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    Options
    That's great Spud, well done to you.
  • firework
    firework Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    Spud wrote:
    TOTAL CASHBACK EARNED (QUIDCO/GREASYPALM/FREEFIVERS): £1553

:T :T :T

Wow ! I am truly inspired by your savings my friend. and especially the cashback - i have just discovered the delights of this one myself! incredible how much we all must have been throwing away before we found this place! not nerdy at all - you totally know where you're at. Well done you .:T
    credit card debt at LBM Nov 2006 £11,300:eek:
    credit card debt now £0000000000000!!! :j

Debt free at 40! - I made it !!

DFW NERD No . 1158 & Proud to be dealing with my debts.
  • streety
    Options
    Never looked into cashback. I better have a read...
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    What a great idea! I did think of it but sorry to say that is as far as it went. Its interesting to look back on and I do love to boast about what I have saved whereas most people(not MSE) boast about what they have spent. I want to join the nerds-be proud Spud-its a great thing you have done!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Spud_2
    Options
    I'm going to do the same for this year, but I'm also going to include things like money saved using coupons in supermarkets (a relatively new thing to me and I'm saving a fortune!) and cashback from credit cards etc.

Thanks for all the lovely comments and here's to another great year of money-saving! :beer:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport