A little nerdy....my 1st year of MSE....

2»

Comments

• adon30
    adon30 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Those are some great savings. Well done.

I have only been on the boards a little while so am finding out more and more ways to save. I have heard of Quidco and am now using it for any purchases. But what are greasypalm and freefivers?

Also howcome you managed to get so many freebies? That really is good. Where they all things you wanted?

I've set myself a target of £500 which I hope should be achievable.
  • Spud_2
    Spud_2 Posts: 676 Forumite
    adon30 wrote:
    Those are some great savings. Well done.

I have only been on the boards a little while so am finding out more and more ways to save. I have heard of Quidco and am now using it for any purchases. But what are greasypalm and freefivers?

Also howcome you managed to get so many freebies? That really is good. Where they all things you wanted?

I've set myself a target of £500 which I hope should be achievable.

Hello, welcome to MSE!

Greasypalm & Freefivers are also cashback sites - there are separate threads on the Referrers Board for each of them with referral links should you choose to join via someone's links. Mine should be up there somewhere!!

Freefivers is a good one for 'daily' clicks, the ones I do are 3 x 10p for Top Offers and 6 x 10p for ABerto. These can be done every 72 hours so it works out at slightly more than a couple of pounds a week - doesn't sound much but they do add up. I use Greasypalm for any offers not on Quidco as the casback isn't generally as good but they do have different offers.

In terms of freebies, yes it's all stuff I wanted or liked. It ranges from items for the home like towels, sheets, clothes etc using codes for catalogues shops, to free DVDs/CDs, £10-£20 vouchers like M&S, Waitrose etc, freebies with magazine subscriptions like chocolate, hair straighteners etc. I did a couple of test drives of cars last year and got Ice Age 2 DVD and £20 M+S voucher. I've done quite a few DVD rental trials and you usually get cashback for each one - Blockbuster, Lovefilm, Mymoviestream etc on Quidco - just need to remember to cancel dd and return DVDs in time. It's money for nothing and you get to enjoy some DVDs! I use coupons in the supermarket and usually save 40-50% of my shop each visit. Those savings will really quickly mount up.

I've actually done a complete rekkie of everything I achieved in 2006 and it comes to £4K! If I achieve the same in 2007 I will be chuffed!

Good luck!! This money-saving lark is very addictive...
    Quidco ~ £3,718 | Greasypalm ~ £354 | Freefivers ~ £45 | Pigsback ~ £260 shopping vouchers + 15 CDs
    Total cashback / freebies / money-saving: 2006 ~ £3,961 | 2007 ~ 3,610 | 2008 ~ £4,159 | 2009 ~ £1,449

MFD ~ [strike]Sep 2023[/strike] Oct 2010
  • Fella
    Fella Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Spud wrote:
    Hello, welcome to MSE!

Freefivers is a good one for 'daily' clicks, the ones I do are 3 x 10p for Top Offers and 6 x 10p for ABerto. These can be done every 72 hours so it works out at slightly more than a couple of pounds a week - doesn't sound much but they do add up.

Forgive my ignorance but what are 'daily' clicks?

thanks
    Fellla
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Fella wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance but what are 'daily' clicks?

Some cashback sites offer a few pence cashback for running searches for things on the internet. You don't actually have to make any purchases to get the cashback - just click through to an advertised site after running a search.

E.g: on Quidco you can go to the Kelkoo website and search for any item. You just need to type in a keyword and press 'search'. The site will then bring up a list of items from different sites. You need to click through to one of the sites and you will get paid 10p just for searching. There is only one payment per person per day. :)
  • Spud_2
    Spud wrote: »
    I'm going to do the same for this year, but I'm also going to include things like money saved using coupons in supermarkets (a relatively new thing to me and I'm saving a fortune!) and cashback from credit cards etc.

Thanks for all the lovely comments and here's to another great year of money-saving! :beer:

Well, where did that year go?!?

I've nerdishly done the same for 2007 so here goes:

Total cashback / free cash earnt: £1,659

Total value of freebies if I'd had to buy them: £820

Saved against purchases (using discount codes/vouchers etc): £610

Saved against household bills: £328 (great achievement considering I shaved £287 off in 2006)

Ebay profits: £25 (ok not much but I haven't used Ebay for about 10 months)

Value of coupons against supermarket shop: £231

Total = £3673! :T

And I managed this with a full-time job from Feb this year whereas last year I had 4 months off so way more time to concentrate on money-saving. Another year of thanks to Martin and all those who post on MSE who have helped me over the last 12 months. I hope this post is inspirational to any new and old money-savers.
    Quidco ~ £3,718 | Greasypalm ~ £354 | Freefivers ~ £45 | Pigsback ~ £260 shopping vouchers + 15 CDs
    Total cashback / freebies / money-saving: 2006 ~ £3,961 | 2007 ~ 3,610 | 2008 ~ £4,159 | 2009 ~ £1,449

• MushyPeas
    MushyPeas Posts: 3,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Wow spud what an amazing total! So motivational and inspiring :grin:
    Previous debt: £14K :embarasse Debt free: Sept '03 :DMFW#42 Mortgage OP savings £4271.18/£12000 2019 :)Started dating OH Mar '12, married Oct '12, Walnut born Dec ' 12 :A SPC 12: 99 £38.05/£500 Make money Jan: £412.34/£310 :T Feb: £88.79/£280 May: £215.52/£310 June: £18.98/£300
  • Well done Spud

Some fantastic money saving on display!

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • lswwong
    lswwong Posts: 407 Forumite
    Spud - WELL DONE and I should have done a spreadsheet like yours too (I am generally a spreadsheet fan for collating all sorts of data). Why didn't I think of that? Wish I saw your thread 2 years ago but never too late, eh?

I'm gonna start this year off with:

Cashback (booking holiday) - £19.85
    Broadband (retention package) - £155.94 saved

Must motivate myself and make time to put a few things on eBay this year. Never sold there before (but have done on Amazon).
  • Spud_2
    OMG....another year flies by.....well here's another year of nerdiness, the facts and figures I've managed in 2008:

Total cashback / free cash earnt: £1,503

Total value of freebies if I'd had to buy them: £855

Saved against purchases (using discount codes/vouchers etc): £587

Saved against household bills (includes stoozing 'profit' against CAM mortgage): £1,128

Ebay profits: £45

Value of coupons against supermarket shop: £40 (nowhere near as good as last year.....after a ticking off from the local Waitrose manager for using too many, I use considerably less now to save a red face again :o) Plus in true moneysaving style I try and use Lidl more these days! ;)

Total = £4,158! My best year yet! :T

Thanks so much to all the very helpful people at MSE and the very many posters who share offers and information. I hope this inspires you for a successful moneysaving year ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport