HELP Have I been SCAMMED while trying for a Freebie???

Options
12346»

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kelvin1950 wrote: »
    Clearly so, or so I thought. Is your sole job here to play devil's advocate?

no,its seems the voice of reason
    you freely gave up your payment details without making even basic checks to what you were agreeing to
  • timbstoke
    Options
    As much as you might not like to hear it, custardy is right. Hang around here for a while and it almost becomes comical the number of people who say "I handed over my credit card details for a free trial, and now I've been charged." The lesson is simple: If you're giving your card details over for anything that claims to be free, read the small print VERY closely to see where you're going to be charged.

This isn't anything illegal or even particularly wrong. You're entering into an agreement without reading what you're agreeing to - generally, that's not a good idea.
  • ellenrosie69
    Options
    kelvin1950 wrote: »
    If it helps, I've just realised that I too have been caught in the same way. Like you, I didn't see or click on a link leading to the T&Cs.

I fear that all we can do is to swallow the hit on our bank accounts and put it down to experience, I've paid more for training than that.

I will be asking trading standards to look at it though, legal it may be, moral it surely isn't and maybe it's time this sort of thing was stopped.

Thanks Kelvin I am sure there are thousands out there who have been caught too.If you get anywhere with Trading standards please let me know:D
  • ellenrosie69
    Options
    Just wondering can Martin Lewis do anything for us in this case?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just wondering can Martin Lewis do anything for us in this case?

In the cae of what?
    As I have shown,the site lists full details of the trial
    As for the email you say you got,well what site did that link to?
  • just got off the phone to clear smoke and managed to get a refund of £30 not the best refund but better than nothing... ive not long had the goods but the 15 day trial start from the day you order, wot a con...i did'nt relise this, till the money was out of my account :( but i found this site very helpfull on finding the right numbers to phone, god i gave the bloke an earfull on the phone:) and they assure me that no more payments will be taken, but the under handed way they opperate stinks and sneeking in that continuous payment means the banks cant stop it them selves, which in this day and age if daft...
  • benno23
    Options
    I agree with timbstoke and custardy though that if you are giving payment details then you should be doing some research. I'm not saying Clearsmoke made sure you were fully aware of the charge in an easy to find manner though. Still though when I saw the offer i did a quick Google search and it brought me to both this forum and this site with users voicing their opinions ecigclick.co.uk/clear-smoke-review/.

Don't let it put you off ecigs though, I am using them now from another brand and they are all good for me.
  • mauadib
    mauadib Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Which ever way you slice it, I got caught out by the so called free trial, £119 quid so far for a single month! Some complain the trial is splashed all over their marketing material but the advertising is deliberately misleading specifically to the trial and the advertising standards authority agree and have upheld complaints against their trading practice, check out the ASA adjudication and use it against your credit card company and see what happens:

Adjudications/2013/4/ClearSmoke-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_220851

That in itself gives a solid case to get a refund from your credit card provider.
  • Knifeedge
    Options
    This is undoubtedly a deliberate scam. I knew nothing about the £59.95 charge until I saw it had been taken when my credit card statement came in. The credit card company are obviously aware because the first thing their agent said when I rang to complain was "Did you read the terms and conditions". Now when I get an e-mail acknowledging the payment of £4.50 for P&P and no other mention of charges - except that if I click on one of the 4 links on that e-mail and read halfway down the page to find that if I don't cancel within 14 days the further charge will apply they are just looking to scam the people who trust them that the terms and conditions will be fair and equitable.Thank you mauadib I shall certainly be following this up.Trustpilot also contains several reviews from people who have actually tried the product and find it useless/dangerous
  • Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are people STILL falling for this rubbish.

You can pick up an Ego starter kit online, at the petrol station or most newsagents now for less than £20 and it is yours to keep.

No subscription, recurring payments. Nada.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure