HELP Have I been SCAMMED while trying for a Freebie???

Options

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Looking at the terms posted above, I don't see what the problem is. The efag is expensive at £60 compared with some brands, but they want you to have a chance to try it, so offer you a free trial period. If you decide to keep the efag at the end of the trial (which they happily extended for you as you'd had a shipping problem), it costs you the price of the efag. No subscriptions, no loans, just £60 for the goods you don't return.
  • Freddie_Snowbits
    Options
    Thank goodness I stopped buying cigarettes six years past.

Freddie was told by the nurse, to select a day to give up and finish every last ciggie. Day came and blow me if I did not have thirty left. Took a day and a half to finish them. Then nothing since February 2005.

Reason to smoke the lot. Well if you do not, two days later, you're in the bin fishing the half hearted ripped up pack out again. Without temptation, there is no fail
  • animalambulanceman
    Options
    Thanks Paddyrg for your viewpoint-maybe I'm not getting my thoughts over properly as I agree 100% with what you see as the "deal".You were aware of the £59.99 charge from the begining as I'd said about it in my question BUT the point I was trying to make was that if I hadn't clicked on the terms and conditions link on the order acceptance email-which incidentally I didn't until yesterday afternoon although I received it on the 6th Jan-I was unaware of the true situation and that I had agreed to pay £59.99 for the smoker kit 15 days after I had ordered it from ClearSmoke.Just a final thing I wish to mention is that I have checked out-with the help of my son who's a lot more computer literate than his 56 yr.old Dad and knows about backtracking through the "history" feature on my computer-I applied through a link on *****FreeStuff***** Link not shown to comply with posting rules I really thought it was a Freebie as they only feature such items or competitions that are genuinely free to enter.I have now written to this site to ask them if they were aware of the true nature of the deal they were publicising on their website as a Freebie and that the "trial" not the kit is what is free.
  • triticale
    Options
    I hate to say it, but this sounds very much like a variation on the slimming pill/teeth whitener type scams. They deliberately delay postage so that you cannot return the item in time to avoid the hefty fee. Loads of long threads on these on here.
  • Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exactly as triticale says.

Besides, with these wonder products, a free trial should be exactly that, free. No need to pay for postage because if their product is as good as they claim you will be beating their door down to place an order.

But then, if these things actually worked then they would be available to buy over the counter, not from some dodgy mail order company found in the back of the Sunday tabloids.
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    triticale wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but this sounds very much like a variation on the slimming pill/teeth whitener type scams. They deliberately delay postage so that you cannot return the item in time to avoid the hefty fee. Loads of long threads on these on here.
    Hi

Why,

The company has offered to move the trial period to the 7th February - so I don't see this is the same at all ...??

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • triticale
    Options
    Be careful of further payments!!!

Make sure everything is completely cancelled or you may find £39.95 being charged come March.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/general-chat/1365478-quitting-smoking-aware-about-clearsmoke.html

https://secure.clearsmoke.co.uk/shop/Conditions.aspx
    You will be billed £6.95 for your 15 day Risk Free Trial of ClearSmoke Electronic Cigarettes. At the end of your 15 day Risk Free Trial (15 days from Trial order date), you will be billed £59.95 for the full first month use of ClearSmoke Electronic Cigarettes. Every 30 days from the end of you your Risk Free Trial of ClearSmoke Electronic Cigarettes, you will be billed a recurring fee of £39.95 for a fresh delivery of 30 day supply of nicotine catridges for as long as you maintain your ClearSmoke Electronic Cigarettes membership program. Read this agreement in its entirety for a complete presentation of all Terms and Conditions that affect your 15 Day Risk Free Trial.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    triticale wrote: »
    Be careful of further payments!!!

good catch.
  • animalambulanceman
    Options
    It seems as if there are even more vipers lurking in the nest than I thought there were now knowing about the March recurring fee of £39.95 -Well spotted Triticale!!!

There certainly is some truth in the saying "check the small print before signing anything" as if I had liked the product but not needed more nicotine cartridges because I was being economical with them I would have still been stung for the extra money as my "membership" would have still been valid.
    I'm going to take this as a giant wake up call and in future read through all the terms and conditions properly before agreeing to anything.When I think of the number of times i've just ticked the I Agree box when installing software on my computer or signed up to a newsletter without actually bothering to read things through at all due to laziness I suppose I've got off lightly until now.

I'm going to wait until after my postie has delivered tomorrow to see if my kit arrives as promised because I would like to try it out but unless it achieves perfect results it will be going back to ClearSmoke very rapidly and before any more payments are due-if I need to return it to cancel my "membership".

I'll update this posting tomorrow to say if it does arrive or not in case any of the people following this thread are interested.

Thanks again for all the advice-especially Triticale!!!
  • triticale
    triticale Posts: 771 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to take this as a giant wake up call and in future read through all the terms and conditions properly before agreeing to anything.When I think of the number of times i've just ticked the I Agree box when installing software on my computer or signed up to a newsletter without actually bothering to read things through at all due to laziness I suppose I've got off lightly until now.

I think we've all done that before, I know I have!

I have to say that this forum has made me much more aware of this kind of thing, it's a shame we have to be so vigilant.

Hope it all works out for you. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport