Real life MMD: Too late to claim for wedding cheque?

Options

Comments

• reformedEffortmaker
    Options
    IMO, it's way too late to ask for it back. Sorry :-(
  • nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    I don't even think you should mention it, you could put your friend in an awkward position. Had you realised your error at the time then it would have been acceptable to ask for another cheque but not after 3 years.
  • MrsWassire
    Options
    I'd send it back with a nice thank you card, telling them the story and that you greatly appreciate their generosity and thought they should have it back so they could shred it etc. That way, if they still want to give you the money it opens the door but without a hint of you asking for it.
    *Insert interesting words here*
  • Cade_Foster
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    For 3 years the money has stayed in their account rather than yours and they will have gained interest on it.

Remind them of the wonderful time they had at your wedding then ask them for the £200 plus interest.

Asking for money plus interest, I would tell you where to go, The Orignal questioner should just write if off as i they forgot about it that easy they can afford to write it off
  • FelinePrincess
    Options
    No, you should not ask for another one, or even mention it in my opinion. They probably thought you chose against cashing the cheque as you thought it was too much or something. They might no longer have £200 to spare.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    After 3 years? Let it go! It was a gift, not a right. You didn't cash it then, the financial situation is completely different now.

Let it go, friendship is worth far more than money!
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Forget about it. You've managed without it for this long.
  • elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Let it go, 3 years is a long time and the gift giver will have forgotten about it long ago.
    If the money would make a big difference to you and you think they can still afford it then maybe try mentioning that you found the uncashed cheque recently and that you can't believe you managed to misplace it at the time. Then see what your friend says, if they offer another cheque then graciously accept but if they don't just thank them for the kind intentions at the time, assure them you didn't mean any offence by not paying it in, and forget about it.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    No, let it go. I presume you wrote and thanked them at the time? And, you don't need it do you.... really? Keep it as a souvenier, well out of sight!
  • sashadesade
    Options
    It's been too long since they originally gave it to you, and as it was a gift I don't think it would be appropriate to suddenly ask for £200. Maybe they could afford it back then, but who knows about now. You already wrote it off so leave it at that.
    The person who said they should ask for the money with interest - great way to lose friends!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure