Make retro candy/sweet boxes and bouquets for adults & kids + Photos (MERGED)

Options

Comments

• Nicolefury
    Options
    Thanks to the above poster, I've ordered 3 to try this out and see what they look like :D
    Dooyoo £10.40/40, TopCashBack £17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/£10, Swagbucks 0/£20, Ebay £15/£25
  • harib0uk
    Options
    Just been and got my sweets for when the boxes arrive...

Went to the range who had various packs of retro sweets for 99p
    I got:
    2 x Swizzels Matlow Variety bag (226g) includes drumsticks, love hearts, parma violets and refreshers amongst others.
    Wham mini bars (225g)

They also had a retro tub of sweets including the above and fruit salads/black jacks etc.. for £4.99 (850g) which is a great price! (58p/100g)

Then I went into Sainsburys and got from their 3 for £1 range:
    Flying saucers, Foam Shrimps & bananas, Dolly mixture, jelly beans,white buttons, chocolate buttons.

And for the oh I got 2 packs of mixed mints for £1

The Range also had 27 x 18cm boxes for £2.99
    Trying to make a better life.... If you need me you'll find me at the allotment.
  • GemzyKate
    Options
    Hi all,

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this site, but I ordered the sweets for my retro hampers from www.handycandy.co.uk. It really is a fab site and was great to quickly receive a HUGE box of sweeties!! I had to really tightly seal it back up as they are too tempting!! They do also sell ready made retro hampers, but I brought enough sweets for 3 hampers for the same price as one of theirs.
  • phantom_zone
    phantom_zone Posts: 73 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2009 at 8:55PM
    Options
    Well I've mine finally done! Not a box or a bouquet but along the right lines!

Few pics...bit dark but you get the gist - Good old mobile photography! ;)

Sweets from aquarterof.co.uk, cello bags and tie twists from eBay, personalised stockings from eBay!

You could of course do the writing on the stockings yourself but I haven't the time TBH! ( gold glitter fabric paint )

contents.jpg

stocking.jpg
  • hollyandmatt
    Options
    here is mine, were so fun to make the flowers have sweets in the middle too!

IMG_6665.jpg?t=1259004396
  • thefamousexcuse
    Options
    I am using an "Old fashioned" glass jar's, can get them online for £2!! So once I have put in the sweets will decorate the jar with ribbon and a candy caine, so a gift for under a fiver...lets hope all the xmas shopping goes this way : )
    xx
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life......until I go and buy something!
    :D
  • mikazza2
    Options
    This is a great idea, thanks.

I'm a bit skint this year, looks like everybody is getting a christmas sock from the pound shop with some sweets in it. I've only ever bought sweets online once and that was from eBay, a shop called candy monkey, although they also have a website which I got from their flyer (sorry cant post links but if you google candy monkey you will get it).

Also like the plant pot, but think i'll go with the stocking.
  • shiningdove
    Options
    Definetly doing this.. anyone have an idea where a cheap place to buy the box from is?

i mean this about the pic that the OP did lool
    sorry
  • mikazza2
    Options
    You could try the pound shops, I have something like this box if I remember right it was from Lidl or Aldi (can't remember which).
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Home Bargains have clear plastic storage boxes for displaying the sweets that would be ideal. They have them in 3 sizes. I bought medium ones which think was £1.49.
    Don't put the sweets in the boxes until a day or two before Christmas as they taste stale ( Iknow from experience.)
    This is one of the best received gifts by my 3 kids - age 16, 13 and 6
    Money SPENDING Expert

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family