Speed awareness course - or not?

Options
VoucherMan
VoucherMan Posts: 2,772 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I've found several threads on the forum about speed awareness courses and in most of them there seem to be quite a few 'recommendations' to take the fine & points if you've got a clean licence as the first three points seem to make little or no difference to the insurance premium.

Well I've just had a look on a comparison site and the best price I get without points is £340 (up from £223 last year!)
If I put the points on if takes the lowest quote to almost £400.

Am I going about it the wrong way? Should I be trying to convince a human not to increase the premium rather than a website?

Or has the need for increased revenue made companies change their pricing structure?

Comments

• rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think for some people with some insurance companies it will make little or no difference, but for you it would appear to, so for you you should do the course. Surely if you've the time its always better to do the course rather than get the points?
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rev_henry wrote: »
    I think for some people with some insurance companies it will make little or no difference, but for you it would appear to, so for you you should do the course. Surely if you've the time its always better to do the course rather than get the points?
    Doesn't it cost like £190 too?
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stigy wrote: »
    Doesn't it cost like £190 too?
    I always thought it was the same £60 as the fine, but if its that much 'they can stick it up their !!!! for nothing and f off while they're at it.'
    Good hourly rate for the bloke who gets to stand there and hector a roomful of people who don't want to be there...
    987654 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    I've just got my quote for next year which was £360 on Gocompare but then went up by £60 when I remembered OH's 2 x 3 points!
  • mancitychick
    Options
    My hubbys 3 points for doing 40 in a 30zone put his insurance up by approx 100 pounds and I am sure it will increase mine when its up for renewal in March. He wasn't offered a spped awareness option just got 3 points and £60 fine, but I am pretty sure he would of choose the course over the points anyday.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    I can see no valid reason why anybody would recommend that someone should take the points and fine, instead of the SAC.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    if your a speed demon and you do this course then get infront of a judge 24 months down the line for totting up doing a speed awareness course in the past is not the best thing to have infront of a judge by tott up by the way!!! but if not do it.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    £60 fine + 3 points or £80 + 3 hour course. Wasn't hectoring, or particularly patronising when I did one a few years back.
    Some motorists would probably learn something.

Having said which I still believe that 40mph on a dual carriageway with pedestrian barriers is not unsafe. But it can lose you £80 + 3 hours.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    My hubbys 3 points for doing 40 in a 30zone put his insurance up by approx 100 pounds and I am sure it will increase mine when its up for renewal in March. He wasn't offered a spped awareness option just got 3 points and £60 fine, but I am pretty sure he would of choose the course over the points anyday.

this option is nolt always available in a fine/points letter but you can write back offering to do this course if theyre willing to appoint you to a SAC centre.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    if your a speed demon and you do this course then get infront of a judge 24 months down the line for totting up doing a speed awareness course in the past is not the best thing to have infront of a judge by tott up by the way!!! but if not do it.
    I was always led to believe that these options were only available to those who have not been convicted before; ergo, not really speed freaks. If anyone was stupid enough to be caught a further four times, then it serves them right.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure