Hate wasting money on Christmas cards

Options

Comments

• Sarahx
    Sarahx Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    I got my friend to do 3 posters last year and we all put messages on there and money (about £5.00) each to a charity. It was cheaper than doing cards as there are lots of us. Also you don't risk forgetting someone, which really can be taken personally and result in a lump of coal in your stocking!!!!!

Sarah x
    Night Owl Number 14 :j (coz I love number 4 and that was taken!!:rotfl: )
  • suzywoozy_3
    Options
    I never send cards to people I see around(I decided this 2 years ago). I only send postal cards. When people hand me a card, I always say thankyou and that we don't send cards so they don't think it's a personal slight. I don't send to all the playgroup people, the older ones are home educated and so don't have the whole class expectation and give homemade cards if they want to, to friends. We give home baked cookies to the friends we see around and really care about.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't think you are being stingy at all. It's the thought that counts and to be honest I can't stand the carry on with cards either. This year I have nearly a 100 cards to write to various people/pupils/teachers etc as both my children are in school now, 50+ just for them. It's just such a waste of money and think of all that paper, card etc that's wasted. I wish I could do what you are doing...
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    The biscuit tin is a great idea, or a tin of sweets, brilliant with the one card. It is a waste, these people you don't really know, some of them you prob can't remember their names to write them in the cards! So this solves all the stress involved.
    I mean it has got ridiculous, kids 2 classes 30 kids a class= 60 cards.
    All the teachers, helpers, after school clubs and head mistresses!
    Family, friends, doctors, work mates,people you have not seen for 5 years=50 more cards!!! WASTE!! xx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Great idea, I've just bought my cards from WWF, I'm really going to limit how many I send this year, I too get stressed out about getting them delivered but not this year.
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Asda are doing a box of 50 cards for £1. I have bought them and they dont look too bad.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For the last few years my work has used some attractive twigs to make a tree. We all hang one card each on here and address it to everyone. We have a charity box into which you can put the money you would have spent on buying cards for everyone. Its much less hassle, you don't have to worry about forgetting anyone and the money goes to a charity.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • moosetastic
    moosetastic Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    at my work we do the donation to charity thing, normally £1, but whatever you can afford really. Last year we made over £150 and split it between 3 local charities.

We are always given the option of sending cards and donating if we want to, its been hugely successful where i work, and a top idea i think. plus it saves a few trees!!
    You're so very special, I wish I was special :dance:

• tifnstav
    tifnstav Posts: 441 Forumite
    Options
    I am not going to send any cards to people at work this year, there are 26 people in my office.
    Last crimbo I was at a different company with a staff of about 100 - I was getting cards from people who I'd never spoken to.
    And sometimes you even get cards where the sender doesn't know your name but just puts "From Sharon" or something. Er, don't bother sending me a card if you don't know my name, you doofus.
    And while I'm having a rant, don't send me the card with the robin on.
    Thats usually the worst card in the pack! Make a donation to charity instead, its more meaningful.
  • TheFlyingGerbil
    Options
    I like the ideas for a poster where you each put a message on and the tree with a card each on - if I was more organised I would definitely do one of those ideas!

I think I will give a donation to charity too, so it looks a bit better, but i don't think I'd have the nerve to suggest other people donate money!

Joe
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport