Hate wasting money on Christmas cards

Options
I love Christmas, don't get me wrong, but I hate the palava at work giving everyone cards and wondering if you missed anyone out, then finding out on christmas eve when it's too late to do anything that you did!

This year I have bought a big tin of chocolate biscuits which I was going to put in the staff room with one card addressed to everyone saying the biscuits are instead of individual cards. Do you think this will be OK, or that i will somehow look stingy by not giving people cards.

What do you guys think of this? When would you do it? I was thinking Dec 1 to get in there before people start giving out cards, but do you think this might be too early, and not Christmasy? As you can tell I worry a lot - but I'm sure I can think of something to do with the biscuits if you guys think it's a bad idea, I need honesty!

Joe

Comments

• growingafamily
    Options
    Not at all - we were thinking of doing something similar for everyone at Church - we are going to put one card to everyone on the noticeboard and then use the money saved at oxfam unwrapped - as for choccy biccies - way better than a card mmmmm LOL
  • rls1973
    rls1973 Posts: 781 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well it would be fine by me, but some people take it all very seriously, depends what sort of workplace you're in, what the people are like? in my opinion, anyone who doesnt understand or who has a problem with it, isnt worth the worry. but that's easy for me to say, i dont work there! for what my opinion is worth, i think it's a lovely idea !
  • louise_1981
    louise_1981 Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    I just hate the idea of all that paper and card waste for one day. Especially on people, who, if you did not work with them, you would not give them the time of day!!!

Louise
    The sign of a wasted life is a tidy house, Welcome to the chaos!
  • TheFlyingGerbil
    Options
    THanks for the responses. I do write nice cards to my family and a pen pal I have (in fact I hand make the cards), but I basically feel like the cards for work are totally impersonal and basically like junk mail (well maybe not that bad!). So I'm gonna do it and hope the spirit of Christmas doesn't send me a lump of coal in my stocking!

Joe
  • HopeElizzy
    Options
    I feel the same way about giving cards to people I see every day at work - what's the point?
    So, a couple of years ago, I started a tradition at work that everyone joins in with and has continued every year since I started it - even when I'm on maternity leave and not there! I put a note and an envelope on our notice board telling my colleagues I wasn't going to give them a card I was donating the money that I would have spent on cards to a charity. If anyone wanted to join me just drop some money in the envelope. It's entirely voluntary and no-one knows how much you've dropped in the envelope - last year £46 was given to a local animal rescue centre.
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    Tin of biscuits and a card sound a great idea. If you are early with it as you suggest (Dec 1), then you may well set the trend and I am sure quite a few people will be relieved that some of the "pressure" is off.
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Options
    sandieb wrote:
    Tin of biscuits and a card sound a great idea. If you are early with it as you suggest (Dec 1), then you may well set the trend and I am sure quite a few people will be relieved that some of the "pressure" is off.

And other people will follow suit and you will all be able to munch on biccies all the way through to June...:rotfl: :rotfl:

It is a good idea - much easier than writing loads of cards.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • PandaPants_2
    PandaPants_2 Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    i LOVE the biscuit idea! Im going to do that this year at work!

Wonder if it would work at home.......:rotfl: :rotfl:
    Undefeated Wii Fit ski jump champion!
    Vegas Junkie....

Festering_Plates' number one fan! :T
  • purpleimp
    purpleimp Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    I think you have the right idea with the tin and a single card, I hate writing cards but this year I've bought charity cards (lavender trust for young(er) women with breast cancer) I feel I can justify the money to spend a little more because I believe so strongly in their cause and since I've bought them it would be wrong not to make the most of them........

that's just my take on cards though!
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't send Christmas cards out, I send an email to those on email and verbally tell others that I am donating the money to a charity instead. Telling them the charity and giving them a link to it. If they aren't on email....I'm sure I don't keep in touch with them anyway so they'll never know.....only kidding - I'd tell them in person (I think....really not sure on that) no one seems to object to it.

So I think tin of biccies and a note is a brilliant idea!!

I also like the envelope for charity idea!!

x x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport