So now I have a solar PV system how do I make the most of it???

Options

Comments

• themaverick1953
    Options
    Thanks - I'm already accused of being obsessive and compulsive about this - thats before I get a monitor!
  • stoozey
    stoozey Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    pauldreed wrote: »
    I agree, and had the same thought a few months ago, whilst enjoying some winter sunshine, and nobody at home to use the generated power!
    So, I designed and built a small electronic module which monitors how much PV power is being generated, and how much is being consumed in the home. If the difference is more than 1kw, then the unit switches on a 1kw immersion heater, and heats my domestic water.
    It works really well, and during the recent sunny period it met my entire water heating demand, whilst stilll giving priority to other usage, such as the dishwasher, kettle, etc.
    The best bit is that it is automated, and constantly monitors demand/supply, with no interaction at all from me.

Whats the point ?
  • themaverick1953
    Options
    Well surely that it displaces your other fule at nil cost?
  • stoozey
    Options
    Still don't get your point.

Thought only fred flintstone still used an immersion heater anyway.

Are you just trying to scam the 50% deemed export ? If so I have a much more efficient method.
  • themaverick1953
    Options
    Go on then
  • stoozey
    Options
    Ahh so you are trying to scam the 50% deemed export.

I still don't get why - can you explain.
  • themaverick1953
    Options
    I don;t know what you mean by scam. Trying to use the elec you produce. If you can use 100% is that a problem?
  • stoozey
    Options
    I use the term 'scam' as you are being paid for exporting 50% of everything you produce. You are actively making sure you never do this hence scamming the FIT scheme for the deemed export payment.

Is it because your excess energy for which you are being paid 3p KWH is being resold to your neighbours for 10p+ KWH ? With your energy company enjoying the arbitrage ?

If you said that then maybe I could see your point.

Please explain.
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Jon_Tiffany Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    pauldreed wrote: »
    I did consider this, but have decided not to pursue it for personal reasons. However, I have been in contact with others who are building similar units, and which may lead to a commercial unit being available.
    It's only a matter of time...

Provided they can keep the cost of such a unit low, it will be the must have accessory for anyone with solar pv. I would love to have such a unit, are there any guides on the web for how you built your one? Or any tips to get us started?
  • pauldreed
    pauldreed Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stoozey wrote: »
    I use the term 'scam' as you are being paid for exporting 50% of everything you produce. You are actively making sure you never do this hence scamming the FIT scheme for the deemed export payment.

Is it because your excess energy for which you are being paid 3p KWH is being resold to your neighbours for 10p+ KWH ? With your energy company enjoying the arbitrage ?

If you said that then maybe I could see your point.

Please explain.
    I don't get FIT payment (rent a roof)
    I don't get 3p for unused leccy (rent a roof)
    My rationale is not that complicated!
    For any excess power generated, I get nothing, but if I use the excess to heat my water, I will not use and pay gas units to heat the water.
    I'm just using the generated power efficiently.
    Do you have a problem with this?? Neither the PV system installers or Scottish Power do..... I asked first!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback