So now I have a solar PV system how do I make the most of it???

Options

Comments

• furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to add.

Our installers have been in touch today to see if we have had a check meter in. He's told me that they are going back on their records to check out if there are any more meters like mine -

& (now I feel really pleased that I have raised this)
    Quote from Installer.

Ironically the day after we spoke I was contacted by another client with a query about another matter, and seeing they also had the Siemens S2AS meter we did some investigating and found the same problem.
    Once the meter trial is complete I am really keen to see how the network operator respond as this is going to be a headache for them over the next few years.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I run my washing machine or dishwasher from around 0900 on sunny days. Only had the panels 2 weeks so I have nipped outside to the meter a few time to check whether we are importing or exporting and it has always stayed on exporting (the panels face 110 degs which will help at 0900).
    How can I check the power consumption of the washer - dishwasher - or for that matter the immersion heater? I have treied a few times to see if I could run the immersion heater without importing but not managed it yet.
    The whole system really need to be smoother with a smart way of diverting the 'free' energy around the house to whjere its needed without importing.

If you have gas CH, trying to use an Immersion heater on solar could well mean it costs you more.

The power consumption of appliances(by looking at the rating lable) is meaningless in many cases, because they only draw max power for a short period.

For instance my washing mashine is rated at 3kW and a washing cycle takes approx 1.5 hours. That would indicate that it uses 4.5kWh per cycle. However it usually uses 0.4kWh to 0.6kWh!

The reason for this is that it only uses 3kW for a few minutes to heat the water to 40C or 50C - the rest of the time it just motors, pumps and electronics.

Virtually every electrical appliance has a thermostat or the power it uses varies. So it is impossible to 'match' panel output to usage.

All you can really do is have washer/dryer/dishwasher on at different times around midday.
  • pauldreed
    pauldreed Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    ..........The whole system really need to be smoother with a smart way of diverting the 'free' energy around the house to where its needed without importing.
    I agree, and had the same thought a few months ago, whilst enjoying some winter sunshine, and nobody at home to use the generated power!
    So, I designed and built a small electronic module which monitors how much PV power is being generated, and how much is being consumed in the home. If the difference is more than 1kw, then the unit switches on a 1kw immersion heater, and heats my domestic water.
    It works really well, and during the recent sunny period it met my entire water heating demand, whilst stilll giving priority to other usage, such as the dishwasher, kettle, etc.
    The best bit is that it is automated, and constantly monitors demand/supply, with no interaction at all from me.
  • themaverick1953
    Options
    Excellent stuff - when are you going to produce this for everyone!
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pauldreed wrote: »
    So, I designed and built a small electronic module which monitors how much PV power is being generated, and how much is being consumed in the home. If the difference is more than 1kw, then the unit switches on a 1kw immersion heater, and heats my domestic water.

That's a neat little business idea, given that around 1000 new solar PV systems are being installed every week just in the UK, and a significant proportion of the country is off mains gas!
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • pauldreed
    Options
    thenudeone wrote: »
    That's a neat little business idea, given that around 1000 new solar PV systems are being installed every week just in the UK, and a significant proportion of the country is off mains gas!
    I did consider this, but have decided not to pursue it for personal reasons. However, I have been in contact with others who are building similar units, and which may lead to a commercial unit being available.
    It's only a matter of time...
  • themaverick1953
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if the Owl + USB monitor can be set to display kW/hour rather than cost/hour?
  • pauldreed
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if the Owl + USB monitor can be set to display kW/hour rather than cost/hour?
    Yes, you can hot-swop between the two figures.
    Just need to press one button to toggle.
  • themaverick1953
    Options
    Whats the best way to utilise the OWL technology with SPV?
  • pauldreed
    Options
    Whats the best way to utilise the OWL technology with SPV?
    I generally monitor how much power is being generated by the panels, and try to match the load to the supply.
    After a while of checking the Owl, you will be able to estimate the generation by looking at the sky and feeling the sun's strength.

But be warned!!!
    Checking an Owl meter can become obsessive (or is it compulsive??) and can gradually take over your life, like drugs or alcohol, but with counselling (usually the wife) you will eventually overcome the need to check the readings constantly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback