So now I have a solar PV system how do I make the most of it???

Options

Comments

• stoozey
    stoozey Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    ok lets take this insanity a step further.

Get a computer battery backup UPS, say a beefy 5KVA unit. Dump all your daily excess power into it. Now, wire this up so it will feed into the input side of your generation meter after dark and keep feeding until it is drained. You get all those stored KWH not at 3p but 43p. Rinse and repeat.

Is this the logical conclusion of this scam ?
  • stoozey
    stoozey Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    pauldreed wrote: »
    I don't get FIT payment (rent a roof)
    I don't get 3p for unused leccy (rent a roof)
    My rationale is not that complicated!
    For any excess power generated, I get nothing, but if I use the excess to heat my water, I will not use and pay gas units to heat the water.
    I'm just using the generated power efficiently.
    Do you have a problem with this?? Neither the PV system installers or Scottish Power do..... I asked first!

Have you put in writing to Scottish Power (your FIT payer ?)that you will NOT be exporting anything to the grid and therefore will not be eligible for the 'Deemed Export' ?

No didn't think so.
  • pauldreed
    pauldreed Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stoozey wrote: »

Get a computer battery backup UPS, say a beefy 5KVA unit. Dump all your daily excess power into it. Now, wire this up so it will feed into the input side of your generation meter after dark and keep feeding until it is drained. You get all those stored KWH not at 3p but 43p. Rinse and repeat.

Time to ignore me thinks..
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Jon_Tiffany Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    I use the term 'scam' as you are being paid for exporting 50% of everything you produce. You are actively making sure you never do this hence scamming the FIT scheme for the deemed export payment.

Is it because your excess energy for which you are being paid 3p KWH is being resold to your neighbours for 10p+ KWH ? With your energy company enjoying the arbitrage ?

If you said that then maybe I could see your point.

Please explain.

Anyone with a large solar array who is out at work all day and exporting more than 50% is being scammed by the energy company? Easy money for them, as you say buy it at 3p and sell it straight to next door at 10p.

Any 'scamming' is going to be short lived with smart meters on the way.

The financial aspect of this is small. Someone is always going to 'scamming' as only a tiny number of people will export 50%.

What is much more interesting is making better use of the generated electricity. This type of 'smart' energy use is exactly what we need.

Even if we had zero renewables a smart grid would allow us to be more efficient with our energy generation and use. Modifying useage patterns is something we need to be doing more, much like E7 encouraged people to use overnight electricity.
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Options

I dont think that is what is being suggested at all.

What you are now suggesting is very clearly fraud, in exactly the same way as if you was to suggest methods for stopping, slowing or reversing the normal electric meter.

And anyway, if you wanted to clock up extra units on the generation meter there are much cheaper and simpler ways to do it than messing about with a UPS, not that I'm going to share the details.

And further to that, such a fraud would be very easy to detect. The energy company paying the FITs know who much your system should generate in a year, deviate over a specified tolerance and expect someone knocking at your door asking the see the meter.
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Options
    pauldreed wrote: »
    Time to ignore me thinks..

Agree - he is very obviously trolling.
  • pauldreed
    pauldreed Posts: 222 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2011 at 11:00PM
    Options
    Agree - he is very obviously trolling.
    Trolling - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling
    Thanks Jon, I've learnt a new word tonight - very fitting description!

Edit - I'll answer your earlier post tomorrow - (bedtime!)
  • themaverick1953
    Options
    Glad its not just me who thought he was the sammer then.
  • celerity
    celerity Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    What is much more interesting is making better use of the generated electricity. This type of 'smart' energy use is exactly what we need.

I agree completely. If someone has details for building or buying devices that can detect when solar generation is high and switch on other appliances as a result, please post them here (maybe start a new thread)

/\dam
  • bjohnson
    bjohnson Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    I can't see the problem with this. If the supply companies want to "deem" how much you use then it's their problem if they get it wrong, just because they can't be bothered to fit a proper export meter.
    My meter, which is quite old, has been running backwards since the middle of March. I reported it to them and a guy had a look at it in April and went away again, then another two guys came last week and fitted a new main fuse and said that eventually I would get a new meter. Sounds like they're not too bothered.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback