We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How much can you save?

Options

Comments

• misselvis
    misselvis Posts: 285 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    well done re the savings and good luck on the weight loss journey. you guys are targets to my own saving goals
    misselvis proud and in motion - dealing with her debts step by step :)DFW #107
    challenge pay off 6.5k by the end of 2017~ £388/£6500 challenge 1% challenge = 6% of debt cleared; challenge - build up 3 months emergency fund- £0/£6000
  • Emily926
    Emily926 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for a while now but only just come across this thread. All your stories has inspired me to get a grip of my finances. Although I have no debts,Ialso have very little savings! :o

I am going to set a target of 8K which I hope to reach by xmas. It sounds ambitious but I already have 3477.96 in two accounts to get me started :T
    :heart:DD born 14/12/11 :heart:
    :heart: Baby No2 due 08/06/14 :heart:
    Completed stitches 2014: Dolly Mama's
  • dippykitty
    dippykitty Posts: 1,138 Forumite
    Options
    Emily926 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for a while now but only just come across this thread. All your stories has inspired me to get a grip of my finances. Although I have no debts,Ialso have very little savings! :o

I am going to set a target of 8K which I hope to reach by xmas. It sounds ambitious but I already have 3477.96 in two accounts to get me started :T

Welcome aboard! :D Sounds like you're doing pretty well already so good luck with the £8k goal!
    ISA savings: £25,139 Other Savings: £1750 (tied up in bond)
  • Vixstar
    Vixstar Posts: 967 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Found out accidentally while researching saving accounts that my current savings account has a highish bonus rate till Novemeber - thank god for this site. (not that the extra .24% is that great but still). Think I may actually make my end of year target as long as my upcoming car service and summer holidays don't get out of hand.
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am quite amazed how fantastic you guys are!! Lots of savings going on and all doing so well!!
    I am new to the boards and need a bit of help getting a savings account, i really don`t understand all the interest rates and all the jargon so at a bit of a loss at the mo :( x
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • richie_bcfc
    Options
    this is a great thread really good motivation...

ive only started saving the last few months im on 3600 but finding it difficult as i get paid weekly meaning I have to budget more. I have an ISA which is virtually full but im saving for a deposit for a house hopefully in the next 16 months or so .. Fingers crossed !!!
  • nm123_2
    nm123_2 Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    This thread is great! Really motivating and nice to know there are other hardcore savers out there!

I went travelling a few years back and it took about 18 months to save the £10k, get out of uni overdrafts etc but it gave me the saving-bug and I now think I'll always be a saver.

At the moment, my boyfriend and I are saving for a deposit on a house. We would like approx £25k for the deposit and then another £8kish to spend on fees, DIY, furniture etc. We've got £20k at the moment and we're expect to have our target in Jan/Feb next year. I think I'll be sad to kiss my savings goodbye, but knowing we'll have a lovely little house instead will make up for it. Once we've got a mortgage I won't be able to save at the same level (currently £800 per month), but I plan for us to overpay the mortgage a little and then save as much as I can too.

I could never be one of those people who lives in their overdraft or is skint every month. I'm pretty frugal with what I give myself to spend each month but having that savings cushion is lovely, and knowing that we can dip into savings for a holiday or a new telly is great and if I can, I'll always treat my money this way.
  • gazelle8760
    gazelle8760 Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    The Gazelle has been saving for air tickets to South Africa, to which I bought last week in the BA sale for September, now I am saving for South Africa again in March, and hope BA have their new sale soon. Just have to save my Spending Money now.:j
  • richie_bcfc
    Options
    Hi all

anyone have any tips on saving weekly ? thats how i get paid and it makes more sense for me to put a bit away as it comes.

also what would you suggest the mimimum target is for saving for a house deposit including fees etc

much appreicated
  • gelato_cat
    gelato_cat Posts: 2,732 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same here re the below. I currently save over £1k/month and hope to save at least £800/month after we get the house.

Good luck!

Suze

nm123 wrote: »
    I think I'll be sad to kiss my savings goodbye, but knowing we'll have a lovely little house instead will make up for it. Once we've got a mortgage I won't be able to save at the same level (currently £800 per month), but I plan for us to overpay the mortgage a little and then save as much as I can too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback