How much can you save?

1704705706707708710»

Replies

• moneysaver1978moneysaver1978 Forumite
    60 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    There's no right or wrong answer to that and if you were hoping to hear from the regular contributor above then they haven't been on the forum for over six months so their own version of what constitutes 'saving' may not be forthcoming.

In general it's best to calibrate it with whatever you're putting money aside for, so obviously pension money is inaccessible until 55+ whereas money in a current account is immediately available in liquid form.  Fixed-term savings will usually also be locked, and investments in stocks, funds, etc, may not be locked as such but should always be seen as long term money due to shortfall risk, so many would say that they have £x immediately available, £y for the medium/long term (but potentially available if necessary) and £z for retirement, rather than trying to condense everything down to a single figure....
    Thank you! Other than the "emergency fund", I am not saving for anything specific and have no debt and while it would be nice to buy a home, I am not sure it is for me plus London where I currently live is out of my budget anyway!

Didn't realise on the last date posted. I found this thread from the sticky topic so assumed it was still active.
  • Eco_MiserEco_Miser Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Didn't realise on the last date posted. I found this thread from the sticky topic so assumed it was still active.
    I don't think the sticky has been updated since it was created.

Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century