**Make Me Rich This Year eBay or Else!!**

Options

Comments

• Long_tall_sally
    Options
    I have lots of things that I would like to be able to sell but have never used E-bay before & don't have a clue really how to do it! Are there guidelines on here or actually on the e-bay site & do they explain about covering postage & how you get your money? How do you set up a paypal account?

Thanks for any advice or tips!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • glittermonster
    Options
    Dellers wrote: »
    Count me in on this x Also a bit naughty is anyone has the first belle du jour book I would love a bid on it :)

I think I do!
  • Purpleroses
    Purpleroses Posts: 4,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 December 2010 at 6:00PM
    Options
    I have lots of things that I would like to be able to sell but have never used E-bay before & don't have a clue really how to do it! Are there guidelines on here or actually on the e-bay site & do they explain about covering postage & how you get your money? How do you set up a paypal account?

setting up a paypal account doesn't take long. just go to paypal.co.uk and register. you either link it to your bank account or i think you can link it to a credit card. They take a fee on anything you recieve (say from sales on ebay). When you have £6 in your account you can withdraw it and they'll send it to your account.

With ebay you can get paid by paypal or you can request a cheque but you get more protection with paypal. If you don't have an ebay account, once you register i'd suggest buying a couple of things before you start listing items for sale so you get some feedback. You may not get as many sales if you have zero feedback.

Ebay has a list of fees on their site. You charge the postage which can be worked out using some scales and the royal mail website. It is never advisable to overcharge for postage.

making a listing is straight forward, you just follow their form and its done in minutes. you add a title, description, picture, starting bid and postage. you'll see it all when you go through the form

Hope that helps. any other questoins just shout :)
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    count me in (if you would)

have been SOOOOOOO intending to do this, have loads of stuff but never thought it would sell. I can't believe people buy broken stuff, I have loads of that!!! I have 2 cameras, (one film and one digital) which are both rubbish. I bought new batteries and films etc, but couldn't get a photo out of either of them!!! Gutted. As long as I list that they are broken and need repair will that cover me? I'd hate to be in trouble.

Am also determined to put HUGE dent in debt (sick of it, I really am!!!!)

good luck everyone. x
  • misskaytee
    Options

Hi long tall sally, Purple roses has already gave you some advice on getting up and running.

I always thought ebaying would be too much hassle and put it off for years, suddenly i decide to give it a go in May this year, how i wish id tried it earlier!! Not only has it made me a fair amount of money, its a great way to declutter! Get yourself registered with paypal and ebay asap ~You wont regret it :D

If you need any help, just ask :)
    Everyday im shufflin':dance: Proud Padder ~ All Hail The Power of Pad
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Thanks Purpleroses, I will try to give it a go. I am so "untecky" though & now wondering about the enclosing photo bit as I have enough terouble loading photos to facebook! Do you need to have photos for books, Cds & Ds games?
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Thanks misskaytee - I think our posts crossed!
  • misskaytee
    Options

have been SOOOOOOO intending to do this, have loads of stuff but never thought it would sell. I can't believe people buy broken stuff, I have loads of that!!! I have 2 cameras, (one film and one digital) which are both rubbish. I bought new batteries and films etc, but couldn't get a photo out of either of them!!! Gutted. As long as I list that they are broken and need repair will that cover me? I'd hate to be in trouble.

good luck everyone. x

Yeah go for it, you have nothing to lose.
    If your items are damaged you must state this and make it very clear, i would put spares or repair in the title and at the top of listings so there was no come back.

TOP TIP ~
    If you are selling electricals make a note of the serial number, i have twice had buyers trying it on with electricals, saying that they dont work, when emailing them back saying they can return items and i will check the serial numbers before refunding, i never heard a peep out of them again. Unfortunatly some people buy and swop with broken if your not careful.
    Everyday im shufflin':dance: Proud Padder ~ All Hail The Power of Pad
  • Butterfliesarepretty
    Options
    Id love to sell loads of stuff on ebay but I all my cds I use, dvds I use. I have just sold two ikea shelves on ebay but only got £10.49 for them and the buyer is supposed to be collecting on sunday - but hes been rather unresponsive in my messages. The shelves have been stood unused for two year and were around £25 each.

If the guy does not turn up I will just relist them again.

Books I have tried to sell but they never attract attention.
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
  • Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

good luck everyone. x

I have sold broken cameras, laptops, MP3s, PS1 and 2s etc and yes there really are people who will buy the stuff!

I have also sold bits of toys, parts of cots, spares from trampolines.
    Really, anything can sell - I was very annoyed when one person sent me a message asking me if I had a part for a cot - I had thrown them out a few weeks before as I couldn't imagine anybody wanting them.

Just make sure that you list it as BROKEN or FAULTY - I always try and describe the fault. You cannot go wrong with too much description :D
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport