PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• madras79
    madras79 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    gona have to watch my budget im geting close after a shop

spent today 10.41 asda
    4.13 butchers
    2.60 farmfoods
    17.14 total :eek:
    74.64/£100 grocery challenge:eek:
    11/15 nsd:j
    £23/365 pounds one pound a day challenge 2011:T
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 January 2011 at 3:25PM
    Options
    MummyEm wrote: »
    ... Also DD has requested that we make choc tiffin but I can't find a recipe on the big list, can anyone help?

found a couple of recipes on OS - there's this one

here's another = I'll add them both to the recipe index :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • itsybitsygoth
    Options
    Well I've used over half of my budget already however the majority of that went on my monthly 'big shop' from ASDA so should only really need to buy milk and fresh fruit and veg now for the rest of the month. Got a Tesco finest free range chicken reduced to £3.15 today, which i'm going to poach and then the meat should make up at least 4 meals (there's only 2 of us and I can usually bulk meals out with other stuff).
    Overdraft- [strike]£500[/strike] PAID! Computer Loan- [strike]£292.67[/strike] PAID! Credit Card- £369.00 PCDL Loan- £6664.80
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks happycrafter for the idea of what to do with my sweet potatoes. I don't have any harissa paste - is there anything else that I could use that might be simialar?

Sweet potatoes cut into wedges and rubbed with some garlic infused oil then baked are the most stunning things ever

Or... used in a curry to replace the meat!

Or... in a butternut squash and sweet potato baked risotto

I LOVE sweet potatoes!

Well planning on going out to get a few bits today. I need diluting juice, some cat food some veg and some chicken breasts. Really don't want to spend too much so will try and be good. Will update my sig later on :D
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 January 2011 at 3:36PM
    Options
    zebredy wrote: »
    ...Oh one last thing - how long can I leave hm tomato sauce in the freezer for before it needs to be eaten. I made three meals worth of sauce and popped it in the freezer yesterday, but pretty sure it's not going to be used till at least Monday or Tuesday..

it will be fine for months, although it may lose a little flavour if kept for a very long time ;)

edited to add, because this thread is so huge I'm trying to reduce the number of times I post, so in future I won't confirm when I've added a recipe to the front page thread; if you've posted a recipe and it isn't in the list within 48 hours please feel free to give me a kick up the rear :D

someone sort of joked that I was taking over the thread because I post so often; I don't have anything much to offer in terms of original advice but because I'm one of the many volunteer indexers on here, I know my way around the threads quite well and can often come up with a useful link in response to a query. I'm open to suggestions as to whether I should post less or not?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    well im having another NSD woo hoo!!! 7days NSD so far!!! Hoping to do that for a fair few more although we are out of washing up liquid. Anyone know of anything else we can use? dont really want to get £10 out of the bank for less than a £1 buy - otherwise i run the risk of spending it.

I know at some point soon i will have to buy some more ribena for us to drink - unless we go to water which i think will be a step too far for hubby!!!

Anyway im please and sure there is no way i am going to spend anywhere near £395 (normal) and hoping to have loads left over from my newly established budget of £155. 24days left!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    was abit early for the schol run so i went for a wee nose around a new cash and carry thats opened, it was alot of poundland stuff but at 75p plus vat making it 90p i think (well i got 4 items for £3.60) and the parking was free :) and it's closer than poundland i'll def be back, i got a few cloths and some toothbrushes and tongs and bin bags, will update my sig, i'm not doing very well lol i don't think i've had a single nsd lol

just made a homemade pizza with plnety of sauce left for pasta so thats tea sorted :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • zebredy
    zebredy Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    it will be fine for months, although it may lose a little flavour if kept for a very long time ;)

Thanks thats kinda what I had guessed and was hopping.

Will be making some more on the weekend, to use in the coming weeks / next month...
    Matthew, Izzy, Suzie, Harry, Darwin. My husband my cats, the main things that matter in my life...
  • LittleMissHappy_2
    LittleMissHappy_2 Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 4:12PM
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »

edited to add, because this thread is so huge I'm trying to reduce the number of times I post, so in future I won't confirm when I've added a recipe to the front page thread; if you've posted a recipe and it isn't in the list within 48 hours please feel free to give me a kick up the rear :D

someone sort of joked that I was taking over the thread because I post so often; I don't have anything much to offer in terms of original advice but because I'm one of the many volunteer indexers on here, I know my way around the threads quite well and can often come up with a useful link in response to a query. I'm open to suggestions as to whether I should post less or not?

I don't think you post too often rosieben - I think it's lovely that you always put the recipes somewhere where everyone can find them easily and I certainly haven't noticed you taking over the thread :D
    I spent £3.16 today on cat food and cling film and will have to send DS1 and DS2 out to pick up flour later so when that has arrived I will add the total to my sig. Hope everyone is having a great day :T

Happy x

ETA - Flour = £1.25 so £4.41 all in x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options

the floury baps i attempted wednesday night were a sucess so will be doing that again for pack up

Hi Mrs Moneypenny,

Any chance you could point me in the direction of the floury baps? I could do with some for my dinner tonight- I have decided to have hot dog rolls with red onions :D
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport