PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another £12.18 spent today. It was only supposed to be £7 or £8, but I treated myself to a bag of dried dates, and also bought a tin of tuna so that I can make a pasta bake and use up some of the dried pasta lurking in the cupboards.
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Thanks happycrafter for the idea of what to do with my sweet potatoes. I don't have any harissa paste - is there anything else that I could use that might be simialar?
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • MummyEm
    MummyEm Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done to everyone taking part this month, everyone seems to be doing really well.

I am pleased with where I am so far this month but don't want to get too excited as I can very easily fall off the wagon as I have proved in the past.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do with 2 whole mackerel? I picked up a couple whoopsie that are now in the freezer. DH and I like to have fresh fish a couple of times a week but usually have salmon/whole trout/fish pie etc. neither of us have ever had whole mackerel (only in pie mixes I think).

Also DD has requested that we make choc tiffin but I can't find a recipe on the big list, can anyone help?
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2011 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Hi can you put Thriftmonster for £400 for Jan

This is quite a serious trim on what we have been spending so the first few months may be a "see how close we can get". Off to see what I've spent so far this month.......

Hmmm - still the £170 includes the veg box for the month and I think about £20 may relate to New Year's Eve - but I'll take it as it stands.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    Have spent around £40 but that includes fruit, veg and a few little treats. Have got £97.58 left for the rest of the month.
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • zebredy
    zebredy Posts: 62 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 3:04PM
    Options
    Budgeted £30-£40 today and really pleased that I came within those figure, thats with having an extra few quid from last year on me (£3-£4 or there about)

Read about some items having vat added to them like squash and crisps so while I was going from poundland to pound-word and the 99-pence stores in Romford, I picked up a 2L bottle of Robinson's for 99p and 2 lots of 5 bags of crisps for a £1 each.

Stupid thing was I spent ages sorting out the cupboards and writing a nice list of things to buy, but I think I must have misplaced it while out, as I couldn't find it anyway :( Thankfully I wasn't going out for that much and was able to jot down what I remembered I needed while on the way to Tesco on the bus..:rotfl: I dunno :)

Didn't buy any meat though, but thats ok cause we still have a little left in the freezer, and the farmers market is on, on Sunday in Romford, so gona pop there to see what's what. Not sure if it will be worth it but sure hope so.

Anway after carrying all the cans and cat food from the bus stop to my house I'm knackered. Think I need to go and make my lunch now, before I forget lol.

Oh one last thing - how long can I leave hm tomato sauce in the freezer for before it needs to be eaten. I made three meals worth of sauce and popped it in the freezer yesterday, but pretty sure it's not going to be used till at least Monday or Tuesday..
    Matthew, Izzy, Suzie, Harry, Darwin. My husband my cats, the main things that matter in my life...
  • happycrafter_2
    Options
    Thanks happycrafter for the idea of what to do with my sweet potatoes. I don't have any harissa paste - is there anything else that I could use that might be simialar?
    link to a recipe for harissa paste (i have used up my ready made stuff so will try to make it next time)

http://www.foodiesite.com/recipes/2000-03:harissa

try a small bit first I found it quite spicy and I love spicy foods.
  • bella121984
    Options
    Ok so my shopping just arrived for the next 2 weeks, and it came to £160.40...there are a few obvious things I forgot to get, like bananas, milk, eggs, and im struggling to fit everything into my freezer...might have to shuffle my menu plan around a bit!! I guess this shopping fortnightly thing take a bit of getting used to :-)
    January grocery challenge- £338.09/£350
    £365 in 365 days- £25
    January NSDs- 9
    Money made on ebay- £16.89
  • mfwin2019
    mfwin2019 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spent more than I planned today but lots of reductions in Waitrose (I wasn't planning to go in at all but met a friend who had just come out with bags bulging) so all safely stashed in freezer. I must not look for any more bargains this month - I could only get this lot in the freezer by taking other things out of boxes & putting them into bags to save space. DH is making a batch of curry in the slow cooker tomorrow, that will have to be frozen in individual portions to fit into odd corners. Nearly half way through budget this month (£54/£125) as I planned to use things out of the freezer not add to it. MUST TRY HARDER!!
    Declutter 2023  110/520
    Jan grocery challenge 324.44/350 25.56 spare
    Feb grocery challenge 204.45/280
    March gc 0/310

23 minutes a day self care, decluttering, tidying or cleaning 
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    Just went to waitrose to get chopped toms, 59p!!! But did manage to get some bargains.
    Apple bake bars reduced to 40p
    Mince pies reduced to 19p
    Mini cheddar tubes reduced to 29p so got one of each for snacking and lunches.

Total £1.46 spend.

Asda delivery tomorrow!
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business