January 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 31

New Post Advanced Search

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.5K views

Replies

• freakyogrefreakyogre Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Cheating slightly as I did some shopping yesterday, but am including it in January as none of it has been used (ok, some chocolate may have fallen out of the selection box...)

So, £3.80 spent in Asda on bleach, sweets, some reduced party food and also 2 x tubs of houmous which were reduced to 40p. I'll split these into smaller pots later and freeze them to take for lunches.
    £11.15 in Morrisons. Stocked up on my deodorant (6 x...I don't smell!) as it was half price. Also got 2 bottles each of shampoo and conditioner, a selection box, cranberry juice and some edam cheese which I really fancied as haven't had for ages.

Not very good for the first day, but I don't think I need a great deal in the next few weeks as i'm stocked up well. Will need to get some milk at some point and some frozen veg if I can ever make space in the freezer :p
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • Made my own ice cream from some short dated eggs and cream that was OOD today, also used some left over caramel that I made for pavlova last night, turned out well - kids ate it!
    Used my left over Christmas ham to make carbonara, and did not go to mr t's to get garlic bread, did not fancy making my own today.
    Tomorrow I will use up all my old veg to make a stew with some 1/2 price beef that i got reduced!
    Here is hoping that my good intentions last!!!!
  • Lindy_-_LooLindy_-_Loo Forumite
    800 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hello could I be put down for £275 in january please
    thanks x
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • Hi, please count me in! There are two adults, one 5yr old, one 3yr old, a cat & a border collie in our household. I would like to keep to £200 per month. This is to include all food, pet food & cleaning products. No spend day today, so off to a good start. Not sure how long I'm going to last though:o
  • lolly101lolly101 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Hi Everyone! :hello:

I think it's about time I joined this challenge! I used to think I did a modest grocery shop, but after reading previous challenges I've realised that I still spend far more than I need to - £45-50 a week for me and my son, 6. I also have an unhealthy obsession with Tesco and tend to go there at least three times a week (which means that I end up buying extra things that I don't need three times a week!), this is something I really need to cut down on.
    Can you please put me down for £125 for the month. I think this should be do-able as my cupboards and freezers are quite full so I'm going to try and concentrate on using up food before buying more this month.
  • lotti379lotti379 Forumite
    787 posts
    Please can I be put back in for January?£200 for the two of us

I'm not drinking alcohol for the month at least so it should be easily doable! :rotfl:

Also, lost track of december a bit, will sort it out eventually..!
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • pixiedust09pixiedust09 Forumite
    270 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Rebelle wrote: »
    Hi Pixie

I too have a pooch with a delicate tum, used to feed him on Bakers (he has a tin a day too) but then switched to Harringtons, seems like good stuff - no colours or additives and not bulked out with nasties, but still quite a good price - I get it at Asda and it's frequently on offer, currently still on a 12kilo sack bought in Oct! Dog seems calmer too since he's been on it, have since read an article about how the colours in Bakers can make some dogs hyper - so if your Springers have been even more bouncy recently, you'll know why!

If you fancy giving it a try, can get a small bag (2-3kg I think?) for about £3ish - it's supposed to be good for digestion too and have definitely noticed our boy is not causing a stink as often now, iykwim! ;)

Thanks will give that a try, my boys are particularly stinky, so anything that helps with that has got to be good. :)
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 £55,0000, Jul 2013 £27,593.17 Oct 2013 £26,531, Dec 2014 £22,600, Dec 2015 £20,190, Jan 2016 £19,944.19 Mar 2017 £16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people :)
  • £200 for me please, -I'll find it tricky, after massively overspending-have been spending as much as £600 pm, but must cut back hugely now. Have meat in the freezer and lots of tins in already, so hoping to stick to budget.Thanks for all your posts, which help my motivation so much!
  • rosieben wrote: »
    helen jelly - nice of you to use my photo as your avatar :D

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Its a self portrait
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • edited 1 January 2011 at 11:08PM
    Doom_and_GloomDoom_and_Gloom Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 January 2011 at 11:08PM
    Can you put us down for £80 this month please. That is for 2 adults (my partner and me) and 2 chinchillas. Our month will go from the 1st of January until the 31st of January.

Spent so far £4.12 and with that we got:
    • 1.1kg red organic potatoes
    • 650g organic baby potatoes
    • 1.5kg organic carrots
    • 750g parsnips
    • 2kg onions
    • 444g celeriac
    • 5 fairtraide oranges
    • 2 packs of spring onions
    • pack of salad tomatoes
    • sprout tree
    The above should have cost £11.76 so a saving of £7.64 - me very pleased :).

Budget = £80
    Spent = £4.12
    Left = £75.88
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D