January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 10:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 294.9K views

Replies

• boultdjboultdj Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My last shop of the month, and it's come in as a $8.50 spend so my Jan Total $140.39.:j
    Woohoo!! I'm under.:D
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • edited 28 January 2011 at 4:43PM
    SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 28 January 2011 at 4:43PM
    stefc87 wrote: »
    I would like to join please :) We are getting married in March, so having just paid off all our balances, we now need to be as non-spendy as possible! Plus, I love a challenge, me! :D

I'd like to set a target of - Budget for Feb £200. We normally spend c. £60 pw, so I'll start with £50pw - let myself down gently! This is for me, my OH and our 1 year old. The thing that makes our shopping more expensive at the mo is the fact the I'm doing Slimming World, so we have to have a lot of fruit and veg! But I'm sure I'll cope...

Anyway... Hi everyone! :wave::wave:
    Oh, and just a quick question for the seasoned MSE's ;) is it a big myth that you spend less if you shop online rather than in store, or not?! Thanks :)

Hello and welcome stefc87! :hello:

Best wishes for the wedding in March and good luck with your challenge.

You mention you're doing SW. Firstly, I'm fairly sure there are some SW recipes in the recipe lists on the first page of the thread (they'll also be on the first page of the Feb thread when it starts) as quite a few people on here do it too.

On the fruit and veg front, where do you normally buy it? If you buy it from a supermarket (sm) you will probably find much better value at a local market if you have one or at a green grocer on the high street. It isn't always the same for every f&v because the sm will have loss leading offers but if you're canny and only buy offers from the sm (if they really are bargains) and then use the market, green grocer and / or even A!di or L*dl for your f&v you will notice a reduction in the cost. Hope that helps. :D

As for online shopping? :think: Hmm, well it works for some but it doesn't for others. Some like it because they can make up a list and then amend it up or down over time before actually placing the order. Others don't like it because they miss out on whoopsies (reduced stuff usually on or near it's display by date). Some find it a good constraint on budget, others can overspend hugely with it. I think, but don't know, that overspending could be because you don't see the physical amount of food you're buying and therefore overstock and often on perishables.

Whichever way you decide to go - online or on foot - try My Supermarket as it will allow you to see the different prices for a product at four of the biggies - MrT, MrS, A*da and W**tr*s*. You can also then make lists for the different shops to visit maximising the amount saved if you have the time to shop around and availability of stores.

Hope that helps,
    Spigs

ETA: Well done Boultdj! Yay!!!!!!
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • adelightadelight Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't resist the six for £1 avocados as I was walking past the market today, as I started picking some out the bloke told me to fill the whole bag for £1 :eek: So now I have 15 avocados! Well, 14, I ate one for lunch with some sweetcorn cakes :D
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Great idea the spreadsheet slbhill! About the crisps, I try to buy huge packs, otherwise they are quite expensive! The 18(?) multipacks are cheaper since they are usually below £3, so it's less than £1 for every 6.

I can't remember who said about the 4 sheets with 3 columns and then the spreadsheet but that was amazing! OMG! I would love to be that organized! Great stuff!

stefc, I used to do online shopping and I have stopped because in my case it was worse. I clicked in every single section to see if there was any offer and then I saw some nice pics, some thing I had not had for ages, some new item that I had not seen before... and boosted the receipt. I used to spend £160+ every two weeks in online shopping and then I still had to top up every week with something and spend £50 on top each visit. My total was around £400 easily. I have to admit that my mind wasn't in the MSE style and I have not shopped again there since I started the challenge. Mainly because I know I can order as many things as I want and the shopping will not be heavy for me, so I order loads of tins, soups and veggies.. but do I need that many or for that price? No. Now I only shop what I can carry, which reduces how much I take. Also, tins and soups might be stocked only if they are a bargain and even then I only pick a few. I used to buy 20ish in a go in different flavours, which meant some of them were reduced or a great prices and some of them were not. I might try again online shopping when I control myself better! You can try one month online, one month offline and see how you manage better. :)
    Oh, and just a quick question for the seasoned MSE's ;) is it a big myth that you spend less if you shop online rather than in store, or not?! Thanks :)
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    well my total spend for jan was £260!!

and i want to add £200 for feb again

i know i went over but i always think jan's hardest anyway and it was my first attempt so i;m really hoping feb will go better :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • boultdjboultdj Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank's Spiggle:D think it's down to the fact we've got that much in pantry and I'v finnley got round to doing a stock take:rotfl:,found 10 jar's of coffee:eek:,OH's the only one who drink's it and has at most 3 cup's in a day,so think I can leave that off the list for a bit.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Will prob end up going to a sm today for a mooch (NOOOOOO!!) because I need some fruit for the weekend, and tonight's going to be quite hard for me - I should've been going to a posh dinner with the OH, but as we've split I'm not going! I had a lush dress ready and everything, so really quite gutted. Will try not to let it affect my gc, but may need some comfort food!

Having a mate round for a dinner and vegging evening tomorrow, so going to treat us to a pizza from the [email protected] pizza counter. Can just about afford that with my £6.60! Roll on February! Not that I need any stock items, but I don't like having no money!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭

Having a mate round for a dinner and vegging evening tomorrow, so going to treat us to a pizza from the [email protected] pizza counter. Can just about afford that with my £6.60! Roll on February! Not that I need any stock items, but I don't like having no money!

PennyGrabber have you ever tried making your own pizzas?

I now always make them and they are gorgeous and cost literally pennies compared to the sm ones. In fact i have pizza dough in the breadmaker as i type as i`m making two bases for tomorrow nights pizzas and two more bases to freeze so i don`t have to keep making dough.

One tip is that once you`ve spread the base with tomato puree sprinkle dried oregano and garlic powder on before adding the onions, peppers, chorizo etc. I now only add cheese on the top to cover everything instead of on top of the tomato puree and its just as yummy and saves on the cheese. I use cheddar a lot too instead or mozarella - depends what i`ve got in.

These days i`ve always got a cheapie bag of frozen peppers in the freezer for when i need to make one in a rush.

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • had a couple of nsds so nothing to report - going to the shop 2mo as i need vanilla extract and tetley tbags- anwhere got a good offer? ive noticed that the 160 are 2for £5 in mrt so might go buy 4 packs...we drink the stuff like mad in our house :P
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • Well I overspent by £5 on Jan challenge but not too disheartened- put myself down for £400 (2 adults , 1 always hungry teenage son,1 DD, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 3 chickens) TAhat covered 6 weeks from before Christmas(paid early) and my first attempt at challenge. Can't say anyone has felt deprived, this menu planning is a brilliant idea, why didn't I do it before! I still have very well stocked cupboards which always makes me feel secure- think it must be a by product of my upbringing.
    Thanks to everyone for the inspiration

Jan GC £405

FEB GC £350 Already spent £250 -stocked up so should only need small shop later on in month (I hope!)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides