PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just had my Sainsbugs delivery. I decided to have 2 big shops a month taking advantage of the free delivery if you spend over £100, 1 medium shop of around £70 and a tiny shop on the last week so I can stay on budget....well, that's the plan anyway! Obviously that is not including all the bread and milk top-up shopping that goes on in the week.

We really need to reduce our spending to pay off our overdraft but it is hard for me as I find a strange security in having full cupboards and freezers.

Oh well, off to update my siggy. Good luck everyone.
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all

I'm behind again as per usual but just updating.

I spent £12 today (after spending nothing yesterday) but most of this was 4 boxes of 160 t*phoo t-bags from the C*-op at £1.89 a box - bit of stocking up!

I also bought milk, bread and a cucumber, as this is the only veg that DD1 likes.
    I've just remembered that I did get a veg box yesterday and any suggestions for celeriac would be welcome!

Today's tea is tuna pie without the usual chopped hard-boiled egg in it as OH has refused to eat eggs now:wall::wall: even though I've told him it's not whole eggs that have the dioxins in them (am I right??). Kids are having sausage and chips.

I'm not letting myself have another delivery until next Tuesday but need to plan or I'm going to struggle :D.

Have a good day!
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    scotsaver wrote: »
    XSpender - I cook my fresh beetroot, leave the skin on, boil until softened and then I put on a pair of rubber gloves and the skin just sort of slips off. I much prefer the taste of freshly cooked beetroot to the pickled stuff. Fresh beetroot is also delicious roasted.;)

Thank you for the rubber glove tip.:D I have not had chance to cook these yet and all the kitchen sockets have blown in my kitchen today so gawd knows what we will be eating tonight as it was uspposed to be the beetroot. Would normally just get a takeaway but we are 4 days into a detox and feeling great so don't want to spoil it by eating carp.

I have even had to buy DS a ready made baby jar as I don't know if we will get the oven to work tonight:eek:

LittleMissHappy - I like the quote in your signature

Went to Mr T this morning to get some more strawbs, grapes and blueberries amd some rye crackers and oatcakes. Bought a tub of C&G baby milk and it has gone up from £7.21 to £7.59:eek: I will be glad when DS is drinking the normal stuff:)

Total spent £17.44.

I need to go to Mr S to fill DH prescription and will get him some calms he requested (didn't see the text until fter I left Mr T so will add that to the signature when I get back (not the prescriptions just the calms).

I was really hoping that I would come under budget this month but it does not seem likely as I have a £30 organic fruit/veg order coming Friday and still need a few bits for meals next week and a tub of formula and will need the same on the 21st and the 28th. Next month I need to look at what we are actually spending and set a realistic budget rather than pulling a figure out of thin air, no wonder I never hit it:o
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • happycrafter_2
    Options
    franby64 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm behind again as per usual but just updating.

I spent £12 today (after spending nothing yesterday) but most of this was 4 boxes of 160 t*phoo t-bags from the C*-op at £1.89 a box - bit of stocking up!

I also bought milk, bread and a cucumber, as this is the only veg that DD1 likes.
    I've just remembered that I did get a veg box yesterday and any suggestions for celeriac would be welcome!

Today's tea is tuna pie without the usual chopped hard-boiled egg in it as OH has refused to eat eggs now:wall::wall: even though I've told him it's not whole eggs that have the dioxins in them (am I right??). Kids are having sausage and chips.

I'm not letting myself have another delivery until next Tuesday but need to plan or I'm going to struggle :D.

Have a good day!

I thought it was only liquid egg, but I was trying to concentrate on m knitting pattern at the time!

just looked on the bbc website and it says:
    The FSA said following the distribution of eggs from the now-closed German plant to the Netherlands, they were mixed with non-contaminated eggs to make pasteurised liquid egg.
    This product has been distributed to the UK.
    The cakes and quiches, sold in High Street supermarkets, have a short shelf life, BBC Radio 4's You and Yours reported.
    The FSA said it did not have a "definitive list" of the supermarkets that sold the products, but Tesco and Morrisons were two of them.

The shipment of potentially-contaminated liquid egg came into the UK from the Netherlands in December, so the products are likely to have been eaten by now.
    A Morrisons spokesperson said it had withdrawn a small number of products as a "precautionary measure to give customers full confidence".
    Tesco said it was also withdrawing a small number of products as a "purely precautionary measure".
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    franby64 wrote: »

Celeriac and Apple Soup or add to any root vegetable soup or vegetable stew. I think you can use it like swede/spuds and mash or do chips. Yum, lovely stuff:)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi

Happycrafter - thank you for looking that up - I thought it was liquid egg but he's not listening!
    XSpender - thank you - will try the soup!
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all :) Scrap the NSD I had planned- I have run out of cat food AGAIN! Really must order some on amazon to be delivered this week but will need some before it comes!

I am going to make OH's favorite bread today- Chollah! If anyone wants a recipe let me know and I will post it up. I know it's probably wrong but I love it with ham (I'm not Jewish so I don't think it matters too much to me...) and OH loves it with Jam. It's a bit like brioche but different.

Was going to put a sliceable loaf in the bread maker too as I'm running out of bread in the freezer. But may be swathed and make a wheaten instead!

Anyway I'm off to bread make! Have a good day all :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Missus_Aka
    Options
    Have spent £126.22 of my £150 budget now....but have stocked up on lots of bargains. Will have to be a little bit more careful now. Cant decide whether to do the 3 £50 shops get 1000 points at tesco, because this would give me £20 if i double it up at xmas time, but would put me over my budget as it only runs till feb 15th.......meal plan is out of the window this week as oven has broken down and is costing me £120 to fix!!!!!!!
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • Gracie_1827
    Options
    Hubby was off to Mr S's so I asked him to get me 2 x 4 pints of milk...Mr A is 2 for £2...Mr S charged him £3.10...grrr. Updated siggy.
    Tonight's meal is HM veg chilli & either rice or Jacket potato and HM guacamole, bought 2 avocados for 50p at Mr M's at the week-end. (mashed with finely sliced onion, tomato, lime juice, crushed garlic, sliced red chilli pepper) mmmm
    GC - Oct £36.17/£31
    GC - Sep £35.56/£30:o
    GC - Aug £30.73/£31
    GC - Jul £30.80/£31
  • lotti379
    lotti379 Posts: 787 Forumite
    Options
    More bread (seriously, HOW?!? it's the 3rd loaf since Thursday and there's only 2 of us here!) and a bottle of cheap plonk for sausage ragu later in the week (and for Mr L. to drink!), bringing the total to £89. Nice round figure at least.
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport