redundancy threat - civilian working for police

Options

Comments

• gazpacho_uk
    Options
    janetv wrote: »
    I am not sure how useful a suggestion this will be to you, but as police civilian staff you can join a trade union (as opposed to the somewhat different Federation that applies to officers) and I know that the recognised one for your force is UNISON, are you a member, and/or what is happening in regards to discussions between the union and employer about the situation?

Jane,

I have found UNISON to be quite low key up to now. They have had discussions with GMP, but as for support and information as to what they are going to do to help, there has been nothing. maybe there are plans afoot, but I dont hold out any hope
  • gazpacho_uk
    Options
    Our branch is in the first wave , but we have been warned we will be fighting next year as well . If I survive the pooling I will be on mat leave till august , if not ill be looking for a job . If I go back in august im doing 3 months then im looking for a job . The force has upset too many hard working staff members and as a consequence will loose them to other sectors . Me being one of them :rotfl:[/QUOTE]

DB,

just heard today that our department is to be assessed within the next two weeks. 12 police officers on "restricted duties" and three civilian staff, guess whos for the chop LOL
  • gazpacho_uk
    Options
    Our branch is in the first wave , but we have been warned we will be fighting next year as well . If I survive the pooling I will be on mat leave till august , if not ill be looking for a job . If I go back in august im doing 3 months then im looking for a job . The force has upset too many hard working staff members and as a consequence will loose them to other sectors . Me being one of them :rotfl:

DB,

just heard today that our department is to be assessed within the next two weeks. 12 police officers on "restricted duties" and three civilian staff. Dont think it would take a lot of thought to know whos for the chop LOL [/QUOTE]
  • MrRedundant
    Options
    Quite rightly the 3 they can get rid of. Why on earth would you retain 3 staff through choice when the rest have to stay regardless

It may well be harsh but financially its the only option.We are better paying Restricted duties to do something than letting them sit at home and paying again to do that job.
  • dizzybuff
    dizzybuff Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Options
    However it all depends how many of the 12 fall under 19A. Getting rid of 3 civilian staff would be probably 1.5 police officers . No
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
    One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me :rotfl:
  • gazpacho_uk
    Options
    dizzybuffHowever it all depends how many of the 12 fall under 19A. Getting rid of 3 civilian staff would be probably 1.5 police officers . No

none of them fall into the A19 catagory ... they are all either sick, lame, lazy, have child care issues or are afraid of the dark that prevents them from doing the job they were employed to do (not bitter LOL)
  • gazpacho_uk
    Options
    Quite rightly the 3 they can get rid of. Why on earth would you retain 3 staff through choice when the rest have to stay regardless

It may well be harsh but financially its the only option.We are better paying Restricted duties to do something than letting them sit at home and paying again to do that job.

From the employers point of view you are absolutely right, but in any other type of employment the tables would probably be turned and if someone was not capable of doing the job they were employed to do, they would be out.
    In a year or two the media and Government opposition will be jumping up and down complaining that x% of police officers are sat at desks doing admin work, non related police work etc as crime rates rocket.
  • michelle1506
    Options
    Hello,

I am sorry for the predicament that you have found yourself in, along with all of the other hard working and entirely non deserving police staff who are affected by these awful cuts. I did notice that some 'contributors' on this board were unsympathatic in their replies to you.

Well, for all you 'people' know Gazpacho has a mortgage to keep up, and a family to support, while he or she is being threatened with unemployment. I am quite sure that if circumstances were reversed you would respond in exactly the same way!

It all very easy to remain 'dispassionate' regarding these cuts, when you are not affected by them! :mad:
  • michelle1506
    Options
    Hello,

I am actually a member of the PCS union. I would strongly advise you to join them instead of Unison if you can. I do know that they are soon going to ballet for industrial action regarding the compulsory redundancies. The PCS was also very angry at the way the changes were forced through to the Civil Service Compensation Scheme.

From talking to PCS union reps, Unison were very apathetic to both changes to the Civil Service Compensation Scheme and the issue of compulsory redundancies.
  • michelle1506
    Options
    I am very curious to know what you do for a living?? You certainly don't appear to be working as police staff, judging from your replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure